OVH Community, your new community space.

French OVH staff killed my server

Andy
09-01-2012, 23:18
Since it was their fault I'd expect it for free.

Anyway since they installed over the data on the disk I'd expect much of it to be irretrievable.

RichardWnl
09-01-2012, 20:19
Quote Originally Posted by unclebob
In conclusion, my data is lost.
Not entirely.. for around ~250 GBP they can ship the hard disk to you..
And since it was their fault maybe it can be done cheaper.
But it's still going to be a really expensive operation trying to recover the lost data from the hard disk.

unclebob
09-01-2012, 16:06
In conclusion, my data is lost.

Andy
08-01-2012, 16:36
Well it costs me just £10 a month to run my server at home with 8TB of storage on it, so it's not exactly cheap in comparison. Sure my upload speed is awful but I can easily source my friend in Sweden to upload massive amounts for me on his 100Mbps connection (he also keeps a full backup of all 3TB+ too so it's no worry for me really).

For the websites themselves it's only about 1GB to get it back online then 12GB for the rest of the site, so that's easy for my 1.2Mbps upload.

Anyway just remember, it's all about who you know... You can easily save lots of money.

However I will admit that site is a good one so I will bookmark it for future. I may also recommend to friends.

Thelen
08-01-2012, 12:46
Maybe bulkstore.it would be helpful to you then?

Andy
08-01-2012, 11:30
VPS wouldn't be an option for me with 3.3TB to backup

Thelen
08-01-2012, 09:26
Or buy a cheapo VPS. Cos you do have to upload the backup at some point, and with most internet that will take time :P

Andy
08-01-2012, 02:14
There's your first flaw really, so I don't really have any sympathy for you. Get your backups set up right now. Even if its a bit late for your current data for anything in the future at least it's done.

My electric bill is £35/month And that's not high really, that's average for most households.

unclebob
08-01-2012, 02:04
Nope, no backups were kept. Though I do run a linux box at home 24/7, a cron job would have taken minutes to set up (And Andy my electricity bill was £48 last quarter )

I just can't believe two separate technicians would have initiated (or attempted to initiate) reinstalls on my server, so I'm not really considering my data lost yet...

I've sent Neil an email with the server details, so hopefully I'll hear back by next week.

Andy
07-01-2012, 21:58
This isn't the first time I've heard of OVH doing this. Some form of process needs to be put in place to prevent this happening. If the OS is dead (assuming that's the reason) the user should have to get their data and then initialise the reinstall themselves in the manager, NOT the technician.

And if you don't have backups in place, then I'm sorry but that's your fault. These sorts of mistakes DO happen, hardware DOES fail, so you should always have backups in place. I run a server at home for this very reason, and all it does is backups and storage and not a lot else. It only costs about £15 a month in electricity to run 24/7 plus your initial cost so it's not a bad thing to do.

RichardWnl
07-01-2012, 21:33
Oeff painful mistake.. whoever did it doesn't matter anymore. There is no way back

Do you have a backup in place?

unclebob
07-01-2012, 19:00
Just had an email stating that another staff member performed a reinstall...

RichardWnl
07-01-2012, 18:05
And this is why I am mounting the 100GB FTP backup storage and Rsync everything there.

Neil
05-01-2012, 12:22
Hi

Do you have the server address so we can check what has happened, I want to see why this has happened.

unclebob
05-01-2012, 05:06
One of my servers went down while I was asleep, and was then supposedly 'fixed' by a French OVH tech. Here's the update from the automated incident ticket:

Software diagnosis
Date 2012-01-04 18:11:48, thierry.helin made Software
diagnosis:
La reinstallation a ete relancee suivi d'un changement de
netboot par le client
le serveur est maintenant en bzimage
ping ok
services ouverts
Now I can't SSH in and none of my services seem to be running. I've tried changing my netboot and rebooting to no avail. What's more worrying is that the 'reinstall' section of the manager shows a failed attempt.

A simple glance of my MRTG graphs in the manager would show the tech half a year of 30 Mbps usage, and 0 Mbps after his 'fix'.

Thanks OVH.

I'm seriously tempted to colo servers somewhere and have done with this nonsense.