OVH Community, your new community space.

Custom DNS and Glue Records...

Andy
22-01-2012, 12:30
Glad to help

takefocus
22-01-2012, 12:29
Awesome. Cheers

Andy
22-01-2012, 12:26
Cool. I see the following on the domain:

Welcome to your website!
This is the default index page of your website.

This file may be deleted or overwritten without any difficulty. This is produced by the file index.html in the web directory.

For questions or problems please contact support.

takefocus
22-01-2012, 12:25
Thanks a lot for helping out... the domain is "takefocus-ns.com".

I use opendns here too.

looks like it's set in the network-tools whois search (http://network-tools.com/default.asp...kefocus-ns.com),

But still showing the old anmes in whios.net (http://www.whois.net/whois/takefocus-ns.com).

Thanks again

Andy
22-01-2012, 12:15
Yeah that looks fine. If you post your domain here I'll take a quick look. It actually should propagate fairly quickly if you use OpenDNS for your PC's DNS servers. I can get a domain updated in about an hour that way because their caching time is fairly low.

takefocus
22-01-2012, 12:13
OK, great... so I think I have it now.

I have created a zone on the primary and secondary name servers - mydomain.com

then created NS records and A records (ns1 and ns2) on the zone poining to the same two servers.

On the OVH Manager, I set the DNS servers to the ones i just set up:

ns1.mydomain.com 178.xxx.xxx.xxx (my primary)
ns2.mydomain.com 213.186.33.199 (ovh secondary)

then in the glue records section, I set:

ns1.mydomain.com 178.xxx.xxx.xxx (my primary)
ns2.mydomain.com 213.186.33.199 (ovh secondary)

Everything seemed to submit ok, so i guess a fingers crossed waiting game now to make sure i don;t loose any of the domains using ns1 and ns2.mydomain.com as their name servers.

Does that seem to be set up ok? Would be great if I could get some confidence that it looks ok to save me a couple of sleepless nights while it propogates!!!

I can't imagine to begin the nightmare.

Cheers

Andy
22-01-2012, 11:20
Basically the glue record is the record that is held on the registry servers (the root dns servers) which instruct the looking up server where to ask for the dns entries.

So you would simply do

ns1.yourdomain.com -> IP: 123.123.123.123
ns2.yourdomain.com -> IP: 123.123.123.124

Where 123.123.123.123/4 are your servers IP's.

You then set up the DNS records on your server, including the ns1 and ns2 records and your usual A/CNAME and MX records. Your server should then be ready to take the requests.

Once you submit the glue records it will take up to 48 hours to propagate around the globe. You can check the status with www.network-tools.com and looking in the whois information for your name servers. Once they change to the glue records you specified it should be on it's way.

Hope that helps. If not this tutorial: http://www.abyssunderground.co.uk/in...-dnsserver.php might shed some light for you as it might be worded a bit easier (although when I wrote that I didn't know the terminology quite so well).

takefocus
22-01-2012, 01:06
Hi.

I'm a bit stuck with the setup of nameserver domains and hope someone can give me some assistance?...

I've registered a domain - example - "nameserver.com".

I wish to create ns1. and ns2.nameserver.com to resolve to my dedicated server (primary) and ovh (secondary) dns servers.

What is it exactly that I need to do with nameserver.com for this to work?... I've seen something about glue records?

I'm not sure what i should be putting for the DNS records and Glue Records section on ovh maanger for this domain, or if there's anything else i need to configure on my dns server?

Really appreciate any help with this.

Cheers,
Rob