OVH Community, your new community space.

OVH kernels

CyberShadow
01-02-2012, 14:06
OK, thanks.

3r1c
01-02-2012, 12:29
The OVH kernels are very annoying if you want to install anything that requires kernel changes like openvz or xen.
Not to mention that if you get stuck and need to google the solution to something, it most often doesn't work because of OVH's kernels.
So for that reason I VNC reinstall the OS from the ISO on all my OVH servers, so I have a stock system.

OVH should really provide the default kernels.
I never needed a driver for anything when installing from the ISO, and OVH can compile a driver as a module instead of modifying the whole kernel anyway.

Only root can load modules into the kernel so the explanation that it is done for security is silly.

Neil
01-02-2012, 10:24
Quote Originally Posted by CyberShadow
Thanks for the reply.

Are there any other considerable differences in the installed OS (customized software or configuration)?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm developing a management software package based on Ubuntu Server 11.10, so I'd like to be aware about potential incompatibilities.
Hi

No, we try our best to keep them as vanilla as possible. Off the top of my head, kernel, bootloadter (sometimes) and RTM/SSH key installed.

CyberShadow
31-01-2012, 17:39
Thanks for the reply.

Are there any other considerable differences in the installed OS (customized software or configuration)?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm developing a management software package based on Ubuntu Server 11.10, so I'd like to be aware about potential incompatibilities.

Abdurrahman
31-01-2012, 12:42
Hi CyberShadow,

The OVH Kernels are static so you cannot load modules into them, this is mainly for security purposes, we also load our hardware drivers in with them. They're also IPv6 ready.

You are free to switch to standard kernels if you so wish, there are even some guides in our How To section of this forum.

Winit
31-01-2012, 12:37
The OVH kernels are static. You are allowed to switch to the standard kernel (check hardware compatibility beforehand).

CyberShadow
31-01-2012, 00:54
What's the difference between OVH-provided kernels and the distro stock ones?

If we find problems with OVH's kernels, are we allowed to switch to standard ones?

Are there any other considerable differences between stock distros and OVH's modifications (for the "raw distributions" servers)?