OVH Community, your new community space.

Shout Cast Streaming

IainK
23-07-2008, 21:53
Psybeer after installing it open up the Virtual Audio Cable control panel from the start menu and make sure there is 1 audio device. Make sure its at least 44100Hz and that it has volume control enabled (if it's an old version it won't have volume but don't worry).
Then open the windows control panel and go to sound, it's likely you will have to enable it and reboot (maybe not though). After this go back to windows control panel and back to sound then select the virtual audio cable as your defualt device and tick the box saying use only default devices.
Then in Winamp you want to go to preferences and go to output select the sound card from the list in there and setup the cross fading settings. You should up it from 300ms to about 3000ms imo.

You should also consider a great program from Spacial Audio called SAM broadcaster it really does the business does great segues and it will stream to many sources and do AGC + audio compression/processing as well as requests via web page.
www.spacialaudio.com

Psybeer
22-07-2008, 09:03
Hey all thanks for your post.

Iaink, I have install Virtual Audio Cable software on my machine, i see that it has added a device under audio, virtual cable. and it says it is working. But i am not to sure were i go from here. I have been playing around with it for the last hour. But still with no luck.

Is there anything that i need to do. If you can please help, i will be so great full

(I can play it through the null option, i always could, but then there is no crossfading. and a radio with no crossfading, is not much fun for the listeners.)

IainK
21-07-2008, 10:59
If you are streaming with Winamp then you can set the audio out to be Null and it will work without a sound card.
If you are looking to run a lot of audio stuff on Windows Server 2003 you can check out a product called 'Virtual Audio Cable'. It can emulate loads of sound cards and link up applications.
When I used to host a web radio station I ran the playout on Windows 2003 with that and it worked great.

Ashley
20-07-2008, 14:02
And you can use RDC...

Ashley
20-07-2008, 14:01
Look for a NullOut plugin.

Might come with winamp already so check on your output for a NULL or NullOut

Andy
18-07-2008, 20:30
I never said that just installing VNC and WinAmp would fix it! There is a plugin somewhere on the web for WinAmp that emulates the sound card so you can play music with winamp for your streaming, but in order to stop it breaking you can't use Windows RDC, you must use something like VNC (thats all VNC is for).

And like I said, thats all the info I know because a friend briefly told me about it.

Psybeer
18-07-2008, 16:00
Hi again Andy, I normally work with VNC in the company i am in. But do not quite understand what is going on. I have installed it, and have all the services running, restarted server. And not i can not vnc into the server. I can only VNC into it if i am RDC into it. ONce i have both open, and i close down RDC, i can still see what is on my server. but then i can not do anything, it is just in a frozen state.

Any Ideas ?

I am using Ultra VNC

Psybeer
18-07-2008, 15:46
Thanks Andy.

I have just checked on my personal machine, and can not find any indication of a emulator. went through all the output devicies.

How come the servers should have onboard sound, but the server does not pick up the actual sound driver ? seems a bit strange. I have phone Ovh a couple of times, and they say that they do not disable it in the Bios. But if it is not disabled, then it should be showing an original sound driver, which then should let me use direct sound.

I am going to install VNC on my server ,and give that a quick test. Thanks for that. I will get back to you Soon

Andy
18-07-2008, 15:38
The only way I know of (and I was told last night actually) was through a WinAmp plugin which emulates a sound card, but you MUST use some other RDC program other than Windows RDC, such as VNC etc or it breaks the emulator.

I don't know of any other details as a friend briefly explained it to me. I get around the problem by streaming it from home to my server and get the server to relay it. Since I'm not a huge streamer anyway and probably only listen to the stream myself plus a friend or two I'm not bothered about reliability but you may be, and running it from home may not be an option.

Psybeer
18-07-2008, 13:45
Hi All

I have a EG08 Server, and i am trying to get some streaming going.

I have installed and setup everything, and it works 90% ok.

I have one major problem.

I can not play it through direct sound. And i have tried to install new sound drivers. tried to find sound emulators. But i just can not find out why, i can not install the sound.

I have checked the mother board type, and it is showing up as a desktop ATX board. which confused me a bit for a server machine, but anyway.

The main reason why i need to use direct sound, is so that i can do the crossfading. If i play using the Shoutcast Nul output, it works. but then no crossfading.

Anybody come accross this. Or anybody know away around it. so that i can get my streaming going. regarding Windows server 2003

Thanks

Psybeer