OVH Community, your new community space.

The Day: ALPHA USA

Tz-OVH
04-04-2012, 19:43
No email as yet, still waiting!

bhanuprasad1981
04-04-2012, 07:29
got mine too

turbanator
04-04-2012, 00:42
got mine too thanks ovh

jacks
03-04-2012, 21:43
Got mine!

Duelcore atom 4gb ram 2tb hd 100mbit.

Sent a report to the mail list ,i can now delete the 2000+ emails ive been sent.

Many thanks ovh!

jonlewi5
03-04-2012, 14:46
Just got mine

turbanator
02-04-2012, 14:21
stil waiting here too

jonlewi5
02-04-2012, 10:13
#yeah mailing list looks safe-ish now...
im still waiting for server

K.Kode
30-03-2012, 21:12
Traffic is a lot lower, I received mine this afternoon and believe I was 3rd to order on ml. They are filling in random order it seems.

unclebob
30-03-2012, 21:04
Nothing here, either.

Is the mailing list at a safe level to subscribe again? (Years of Pavlovian email notification sound conditioning were reversed over the few hours I was subscribed...)

Tz-OVH
30-03-2012, 20:51
Still waiting here.

From "Jerome" today
924 servers ordered, 690 validated, 268 delivered as of now

You've probably seen Oles's comments. We're doing our best to deliver
the alpha machines ASAP. Still it's gonna take a couple days.

We too, know how frustrating it can be when waiting for new toys...
...and we do what it takes so that everyone can play ASAP.

ExW
30-03-2012, 18:01
Yeah im still waiting

jonlewi5
30-03-2012, 15:15
Just outta interest, anyone still waiting for their to be setup?
I appriciate they have a huge amount to setup, just wondering like

Loic
29-03-2012, 07:38
Hello, just a short notice for people not used to the OVH way. From the start, OVH and especially Octave, have always been using a mailing list to test exchange feedback on the new features they were launching. So yes, you will get a lot of emails right now, but then you can expect max 70 per day. At first a lot of people will report latency, throughput, etc. and then it will slow down.

This is normal and this is the fun of being part of an alpha/beta with OVH.

loïc

3r1c
28-03-2012, 23:25
Quote Originally Posted by Andy.
Cheers again.

Looks like I missed out according to telephone support.
All servers have been allocated, so there's no point anyone signing up any more.

Time to unsubscribe.

To do this, reply to the welcome email, but change subject to 'List-Unsubscribe' and make sure the To address is something like the one shown below, but of course with your email instead of the someone=gmail.com bit.

alpha-us-uc.1332953385.eiophhmbojehaigmjcba-someone=gmail.com@ml.ovh.net
Or you could just follow the instructions at the bottom of all the emails and just send a blank email to alpha-us-unsubscribe@ml.ovh.net
If you really want an alpha server, you could probably post to the list and ask if anyone wants to sell theirs

turbanator
28-03-2012, 20:14
yeah i spoke too early. checked there..it is being processed i can't wait to see the ping times i get to that server from my home in .ca

mike_
28-03-2012, 19:47
turbanator, have you checked your OVH account for orders being processed?

turbanator
28-03-2012, 19:43
order #: 13269976 signed up like hours ago.

neil can you check please if it is in the mailing list. i see orders higher than my number being already validated

Andy.
28-03-2012, 18:23
I took it off.

Just put it back on and resubmitted order ID and it's now in progress.

I've got some US customers who will be keen to test and should be able to compare SFTP/FTP speeds to Europe which is the biggest problem for us.

Neil
28-03-2012, 18:05
Hi

Checked your email is not on the mailing list and your order is not on the mailing list, this is why I guess.

Andy.
28-03-2012, 18:02
I signed up 12 hours ago, go figure.

Tz-OVH
28-03-2012, 17:58
Cheers again.

All servers have been allocated, so there's no point anyone signing up any more.

Time to unsubscribe.
My order # was pretty er high, so don't count yourself out. I signed up like an hour ago.

Tz-OVH
28-03-2012, 17:57
Order in progress, woo!

Andy.
28-03-2012, 17:46
Cheers again.

Time to unsubscribe.

To do this, reply to the welcome email, but change subject to 'List-Unsubscribe' and make sure the To address is something like the one shown below, but of course with your email instead of the someone=gmail.com bit.

alpha-us-uc.1332953385.eiophhmbojehaigmjcba-someone=gmail.com@ml.ovh.net

NickW
28-03-2012, 17:42
Looks like this for me.

Andy.
28-03-2012, 17:30
Cheers Nick, will check the manager.

At last, somebody sensible.

NickW
28-03-2012, 17:09
Did that last night.

And if you think trawling 1000's of emails to find 1 acceptance email is "pleasure" then enjoy!

By the way, this is the way we discuss things in 2012. Some people even use something called Chirper or summat?
Look for the email that you sent in the sent mail category and see if you have had a reply along the lines of "Validated/Validé. Server to be delivered shortly. Le serveur va être livré sous peu. Enjoy!"

You can also login to your OVH manager and go to Administration > My invoices > Orders in progress

You will see it listed there if you have been accepted.

Andy.
28-03-2012, 16:59
Quote Originally Posted by NickW
If you use Gmail or Google apps just setup a filter for [alpha-us] in the subject line to go to a separate category and mark as read automatically, so you can just browse it at your pleasure.

Did that last night.

And if you think trawling 1000's of emails to find 1 acceptance email is "pleasure" then enjoy!

By the way, this is the way we discuss things in 2012. Some people even use something called Chirper or summat?

Andy.
28-03-2012, 16:58
Quote Originally Posted by jonlewi5
Yeah that works both ways,multiple people send multiple things to multiple recipients. Thats how it works.

/me bangs head
Yeah, i understand how a discussion list works. lol

Just didn't know that's what i was signing up to.
Apparently many people who've subscribed to alpha didn't realise either judging by some of the responses I've read.

Do you think I would have posted my OVH user ID along with my Order ID had I known this was a discussion list?

To be honest this is OVH all over, a totally backwards way of moving forward with little clarity about how to do that.

mike_
28-03-2012, 16:56
If it had been called a discussion list I would have understood, but it wasn't.
It was called a mailing list which 99% of the time is you providing your email so a company or individual can contact you.
99%? Where does that figure come from?

I mean, seriously. Why the page at https://www.ovh.com/us/order/ ?? I had to log in. Why wasn't that enough to trigger my interest in the alpha?
Why do I have to us this freakin DISCUSSION list which is unmanageable??

Jeez. Setup a forum for discussion, or even a freakin Twitter feed, but email for discussion in 2012? No way!!!

I'm utterly mystified with this approach OVH!
I think most people who are running dedicated servers are technical enough to deal with mailing lists. Mailing lists are still widely used for all sorts of things from open source projects like Firefox and the Linux Kernel, to academics discussing and sharing their research.

The discussion list won't be unmanageable once all the order numbers have stopped being posted. They want you part of it so that you can be an active participant in the alpha test.

NickW
28-03-2012, 16:47
If you use Gmail or Google apps just setup a filter for [alpha-us] in the subject line to go to a separate category and mark as read automatically, so you can just browse it at your pleasure.

jonlewi5
28-03-2012, 16:44
"A mailing list is a collection of names and addresses used by an individual or an organization to send material to multiple recipients" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mailing_list

I've never known a mailing list where I get to see every email every sent by everybody?

Lets imagine I'm a hosting company in competition with OVH.
I would absolutely sign up to this list and harvest every single email as a potential customer.

As an OVH customer, do I want this? Does OVH really want this?

I don't understand why nobody see's this is a breach of privacy.
Yeah that works both ways,multiple people send multiple things to multiple recipients. Thats how it works.

Andy.
28-03-2012, 16:43
No I haven't.

If it had been called a discussion list I would have understood, but it wasn't.
It was called a mailing list which 99% of the time is you providing your email so a company or individual can contact you.

I imagine these discussion lists were popular in 1996.

I mean, seriously. Why the page at https://www.ovh.com/us/order/ ?? I had to log in. Why wasn't that enough to trigger my interest in the alpha?
Why do I have to us this freakin DISCUSSION list which is unmanageable??

Jeez. Setup a forum for discussion, or even a freakin Twitter feed, but email for discussion in 2012? No way!!!

I'm utterly mystified with this approach OVH!

mike_
28-03-2012, 16:28
"A mailing list is a collection of names and addresses used by an individual or an organization to send material to multiple recipients" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mailing_list

I've never known a mailing list where I get to see every email every sent by everybody?

I would absolutely sign up to this list and harvest every single email as a potential customer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...iscussion_list

We don't see this as a breach of privacy because we knew what type of mailing list we were signing up for. Have you never used software like Mailman?

Andy.
28-03-2012, 16:27
Isnt that how mailing lists work...?

jonlewi5
28-03-2012, 15:50
Quote Originally Posted by wii89
just registered and my inbox is full of other people emailing to get 1 ...
Yeah iv just created an additional mailbox and subscribed there and unsubscribed my main account purely due to the quantity of emails coming through

wii89
28-03-2012, 15:46
just registered and my inbox is full of other people emailing to get 1 ...

jonlewi5
28-03-2012, 15:34
Just checked my orders in progess, looks like iv got one

3r1c
28-03-2012, 15:08
I think the problem is that it is not explained anywhere that the mailing list is very high volume and that anyone can post to it.

Sharing some technical details is ok, but getting thousands of email from ppl posting order numbers is not useful to anybody.

I think a forum would have been much more suitable then a mailing list.

jonlewi5
28-03-2012, 13:46
On google apps, you can setup a rule to skip inbox and it should put it into a folder (label) i believe

K.Kode
28-03-2012, 13:35
I have no problem testing, I have many many servers with OVH and I am looking forward to the introduction of a North American DC. However if I must receive 1500-2000 email per day to the email tied to my NIC then it impacts on my work. How any pertinent information can be extracted from the current state of the ML is beyond me.

Once my server is in place I'll create a new email and re-subscribe. Google Apps does not have folders, just labels. So getting a new email with that volume can mean searching back through several pages of fluff to find what I need. Multiply that by 100+ work emails a day and it soon becomes a full time job in itself.

mike_
28-03-2012, 13:17
Quote Originally Posted by K.Kode
Do we have to stay subscribed with the email we use for OVH?
I'll happily use a "disposable" address but that volume of email is just not practical to deal with in a work email.
Like Neil says, OVH aren't giving you a free server just for the sake of it. It's for you to test expanding your operations into the North American market, and for OVH to get feedback about how the new datacentre is performing. To be able to provide that feedback you need to be in the mailing list.

Right now there's a huge volume of emails as people are still submitting their order numbers. There's a lot of excitement, but it will probably die down. You can create an email filter to drop all of the conversations into a folder.

turbanator
28-03-2012, 12:28
the thread shud be closed and people should stop signing up as i think the 1000 free servers limit has already been reached.

K.Kode
28-03-2012, 12:16
Do we have to stay subscribed with the email we use for OVH?
I'll happily use a "disposable" address but that volume of email is just not practical to deal with in a work email.

jonlewi5
28-03-2012, 12:09
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
That is correct it is mailing list since we need feedback and to collaborate. If you have unsubscribed from the mailing list then there is not much point in having the server since you can provide feedback.
Indeed, Still subscribed though judgingby the amount of people on their, im pretty certain im waay to late

Neil
28-03-2012, 12:05
That is correct it is mailing list since we need feedback and to collaborate. If you have unsubscribed from the mailing list then there is not much point in having the server since you can provide feedback.

K.Kode
28-03-2012, 11:31
Unsubscribed!
Couldn't find anything in my inbox with all that, thankfully I set to mark as read on arrival or my phone would have exploded.
Would be nice to have a moderated ml or a digest option, 1500+ emails in t hat space of time is not fun.

Side note Debian 6.0 64bit box is sitting in orders in progress so hopefully get change to see how it performs soon.

jonlewi5
28-03-2012, 11:08

Oh, and just in case you didn't know, the mailing list is sharing user information between everyone, so if you signed up to the alpha mailing list expect any of your email threads to be in somebody elses inbox.

jonlewi5
28-03-2012, 10:29
oops i think i jsut spammed the mailing list. my bad

bhanuprasad1981
28-03-2012, 09:10
man you listed my email but i sent it to ovh email how it reached you ? also i am too flooded with lot of mail

ebony
28-03-2012, 08:38
i just made a Mailbox for it there's over 1k off emails in it kinda funny

anyway my server is being all setup all good

"sorry for the flood of the emails on this ml.
it's a normal activity on the alpha, beta period.

Octave" is posted in a email somewhere

Andy.
28-03-2012, 06:02
Quote Originally Posted by yonatan
they are in all languages as stated in the first few posts by oles.
What posts? There's only 5 in the whole thread???
And Oles mentions nothing about French here.
And anyway, that's not the point.

its a US alpha, and about 0.3% of US speaks french.
it's like trying to make the english watch the news in welsh.
it just aint gonna happen....

Oh, and just in case you didn't know, the mailing list is sharing user information between everyone, so if you signed up to the alpha mailing list expect any of your email threads to be in somebody elses inbox.

Andy.
28-03-2012, 05:14
Is this Alpha US an early April fools joke?

Signed up, now suddenly started getting emails from gmail accounts with strange messages that don't make any sense?

Why isn't this done via the the manager?

UPDATE1: I'm getting emails from users asking to join the US alpha.
Why they're landing in my inbox I've no idea, but something is not working right here. In fact it's working VERY WRONG.

I suggest nobody touch this with a barge pole yet, not until the email issues are sorted!
I hope my email hasn't been revealed because of this mailing list.

eg: *******AT10gb.in , I know what your order number is mate, and I also now know your email.
eg: ch****.p***et@brainstormhost.com, I also know your order number too.

AND

r*****AT100tbcloud.com, got your oder number too matey, and again, your email.

All thanks to this stupid OVH mailing list.

OVH, this is BAD!

UPDATE 2.

How about this?

QUOTE:
Matthew,
You had to have a server on your account before March 20th to be accepted for a free server for the alpha.
So it's too late for the time being.
Anyway, I am sure there will be another phase sooner than later.
Pierre

Who's Matthew? It's not me. It's not my order. But the email is in my inbox. And it's the freakin whole email thread.
I know exactly what Matthew has asked previously. I know hios OVH ID. I know his email. And he's asked a LOT. There's a lot of information revealed here.

I strongly urge OVH to stop this alpha mailing list immediately because your are blowing every privacy law known to man.

UPDATE3

OK, here is a list of order numbers I have so far. If yours is on the list, I have your email!

there's more, but you get the idea.

yonatan
28-03-2012, 05:11
Alpha US emails are in French?
non parlez vous francais
they are in all languages as stated in the first few posts by oles.

Andy.
28-03-2012, 05:02
Alpha US emails are in French?
non parlez vous francais

mvegetto
28-03-2012, 02:56
Superb, thx so much!!!!!!!!

oles@ovh.net
27-03-2012, 22:06
Hi,
You already benefit from our dedicated
servers in Europe? You're going to love
what we have set up for you in North
America: 360 000 servers to meet your
redundancy, backup and customer proximity
requests.

Be part of the ALPHA: request a free
test server and give us all the feedback
you feel is important. But hurry! This
is a closed Alpha limited to 1,000 servers.

1st step: sign up:
http://www.ovh.com/us/

2nd step: to validate the free of charge
order, please sign up on the "Alpha US"
mailing list, by sending an email to:
alpha-us-subscribe@ml.ovh.net
then post your order number on it

The first 1,000 ALPHA's orders will be
validated by our teams and you will be
given access within a few hours to your
ALPHA dedicated server located in North
America.

We expect to deliver the ALPHA dedicated
servers tonight or/and tomorrow morning.

Thank you for joining our ALPHA phase!

Regards,
Octave

3r1c
27-03-2012, 14:14
Quote Originally Posted by marks
you gotta subscribe to the mailing list if you're interested
I subscribed to that list and then almost immediately unsubscribed from it.
Got 20 emails in 30 minutes so its very high activity.
I had assumed the list would just be an occasional notification from OVH with updates.

Why is it I cant access the mailing list archives online at http://ml.ovh.net/ like normal mailing lists?

RikT
27-03-2012, 11:54
oh well better than frenglish i suppose

Thelen
27-03-2012, 11:40
Hey, the last 2 were in engrish

RikT
27-03-2012, 11:30
If all this interests you, please do not hesitate and subscribe to the mailing list alpha-us@ml.ovh.net by sending email to alpha-us-subscribe@ml.ovh.net

Officially the mailing list is English. We'll see how it will be in practice.
So much for it being in english every response from the mailing list has been in french any chance we can get english responses as stated in the post

marks
27-03-2012, 09:36
Quote Originally Posted by turbanator
where do we go about ordering this free server?
you gotta subscribe to the mailing list if you're interested

turbanator
27-03-2012, 00:16
where do we go about ordering this free server?

3r1c
26-03-2012, 19:54
This is awesome I will be getting a Canadian server tomorrow
I kind of guessed this would be the announcement from the yfrog.com links if you click on the username you can view all the OVH photos and there are many from Canada.

oles@ovh.net
26-03-2012, 13:54
Hello,

We are pleased to announce the start of Alpha testing of our new datacentre that is neither in France or in Europe but in North America.

We are on the East Coast of Canada, in a small town in Quebec called Beauharnois. Why there? We bought an old building made of giant Rio Tinto Alcan aluminum. We're talking about 60000m2 of land, powered by a private substation, with two electric supplies of 120,000V and which is capable of delivering 120MVA each. One of the electricity supplies comes directly from the electric dam in Beauharnois which is 300 meters from the building.
This is the Ouebec's fourth largest electric dam. It is able to supply 2000MVA. The other electrical supply is one of the corner posts used to export energy to the United States. Therefore it is particularly stable and rich in energy..

http://g.co/maps/ehnyv

We have been speaking about an electric dam, 100% of the energy that OVH will consume within the Beauharnois DC is green and will be provided by Quebec's electric Dams.

http://yfrog.com/z/kkoq2rfj

It is Hydro Quebec that produces and sells to us.
This energy source is particularly consistent with datacentres that consume a constant power 24 hours a day. Another source of energy which is also compatible with the datacentre is .. NUCLEAR, but that's another debate anyway green energy is cheaper than nuclear energy.

http://yfrog.com/z/od25takj

Our DC is in Quebec and therefore outside the United States. This is a unusual strategy to attack the American market, right? Not so much. Our DC is only 8ms to New York and 19ms to Chicago. we are therefore very well positioned to provide dedicated servers and cloud computing with a quality of service intended on reaching 25% to 30% of the U.S population. North America is 70ms * 35ms length and breath. In short, it is a territory so vast that it takes at least 3 large datacentres to cover the entire population. We are in phase A, which is taking account of the east coast. Later we think do the same to the West and certainly the centre. It will all depend if it is still in IPv4 ..

http://yfrog.com/z/moblpeoj

We have been working on the U.S project for 2 years. We had originally thought in Boston and Philadelphia but it was not right. We studied locations compatible with our RBX4 technology and that met certain temperatures and humidity in air. Without any natural disasters such as tornadoes or earthquakes.

http://yfrog.com/z/nvqm4nmj

At first, when we visited Quebec to see some places, it was in June 2011, and we had the idea it would not work there either: it's too cold winter in Quebec. No kidding. Yes yes, up to -40 ° C!
Our current DCs works very well at temperatures of around 35 ° - 45 °c but not at very cold temperatures.

But when we saw the RTA building, we said "holy cow!" because within minutes, we could see what was missing when exporting our technology to a very cold country. Indeed, the building was used for melting and casting aluminium. The shape of the building integrated natural ventilation: the air between the two sides of potroom to extract the hot air out the middle of the roof. Exactly as our RBX4. So we had the idea to put RBX4 inside the building of RTA to make a double air inlet, a kind of double wall. And winter
we can preheat the cold air with the heat produced by servers.

http://yfrog.com/z/oe4c3koj

The shape of the building and the substation was sufficient to trigger the purchase of the land and the establishment of OVH in Quebec. We have chosen Beauharnois for the datacentre and Montreal for the support and system admin offices. Since October, I have been working on site. Mid December, we completed the land purchase and since mid January we have been working on recruitment of engineers in Montreal. The team is growing every Monday .

http://yfrog.com/z/nwtrjqlj

Much remains to be done before the infrastructure is stable enough for purchase. It is believed in the beginning of August that we will be able. Meanwhile, we need a few hands and lots feedback, so from you, to see things we can not see from our point of view. this is why we designed the ALPHA phase and BETA phase.

ALPHA phase starts tomorrow. If you have an OVH dedicated server and you want to extend your activities in American market, OVH offers a dedicated server for free for 2-4 months. The purpose of this phase is to fine tune the network and optimise routing. In fact, in parallel the data center, we started in the establishment of a vast American network that goes through all major cities to United States and Canada. This new network is connected US network in Europe and the two networks will benefit each other. But there may be roads optimise: instead of going to Quebec in the United States directly we can have roads that pass by Europe. We must lift our test and problem. At the same time, do not hesitate to push a bit servers: you have 100Mbps guaranteed.

http://yfrog.com/z/kgr88sqj

The BETA Phase will start in May This will the version that will be powered by our system completely isolated from Europe. The order, delivery, billing manager, email and all the domestic system must be redeployed in an isolated system. And must be capable of delivering orders. As a result, our teams must be capable of producing servers and deliver in less than 1H. So we will look into how to learn to manage what in France has been made for some years.

http://yfrog.com/z/oc78oehj

During phase one ALPHA and BETA will allow for 2 or 3 blackouts that can last a few hours. As will be described, the DC is being construction and we will have to perform different work until August to deliver at the beginning of August an SLA of 100%. In short, if this is down, it is not real. If this fails, it does not matter. If this goes down, we don't shout everywhere that it is a scandal. If it shuts down, we will look at all the info and see when we expect the problem to be fixed. If this condition is not acceptable to you, Please do not participate in either the ALPHA or the BETA because it is not a production environment. From the month of August it will be a production environment and there you can rant and curse about the first packet lost.

If all this interests you, please do not hesitate and subscribe to the mailing list alpha-us@ml.ovh.net by sending email to alpha-us-subscribe@ml.ovh.net

Officially the mailing list is English. We'll see how it will be in practice.

Today Monday, we will discuss and sync, with you. Tuesday tomorrow we will put up the site and give you the control and very simple process to validate your order for a dedicated server at OVH and America.

Regards Octave

Tz-OVH
25-03-2012, 22:47
Nice cable work oles, give your guys a high-five!

oles@ovh.net
25-03-2012, 18:22
So tomorrow we'll start it: http://yfrog.com/z/oc78oehj

RikT
25-03-2012, 12:18
Quote Originally Posted by oles@ovh.net

Oh look at the new ovh weathermap superb graphics

virtuallynathan
25-03-2012, 11:13
Servers connected redundantly to a Cisco Nexus 2000 Fabric Extender which is connected to a Cisco Nexus 5000. The Nexus 5000 is connected to a Cisco Catalyst 6500 series or Nexus 7000. The 6500 or 7000 is connected redundantly to a 6500 or 7000 in Montreal using AVDA DWDM equipment. There is some LAG and other redundancy as well.

I assume this will be for HG servers because of the redundant setup, but the traffic levels might be too high from HG servers in BHS right now.

oles@ovh.net
24-03-2012, 20:56
The network... http://yfrog.com/z/h6agfvhj

Tz-OVH
24-03-2012, 10:59
Quote Originally Posted by oles@ovh.net
Hello,

It will be on Monday 16th to 2:00 p.m. (in Europe - CET) ..

Regards
Octave
I'm sure you mean 26th oles?

turbanator
24-03-2012, 03:44
yes Beauharnois is part of montreal

yonatan
23-03-2012, 11:45
Quote Originally Posted by ExW
On the french forum they think its the launch of canadian DC
this DC ?

http://weathermap.ovh.net/beauharnois-1

William_GL
22-03-2012, 18:40
So what's with the 5 day countdown if it's on the 16th.... whatever 'it' is

ExW
22-03-2012, 15:39
On the french forum they think its the launch of canadian DC

oles@ovh.net
22-03-2012, 13:00
Hello,

It will be on Monday 16th to 2:00 p.m. (in Europe - CET) ..

Regards
Octave

K.Kode
22-03-2012, 11:38
I'll hold off renewals and see what's available.

William_GL
21-03-2012, 22:35
Hope you're right - very cryptic indeed...

Tz-OVH
21-03-2012, 22:28
Quote Originally Posted by K.Kode
2012 range?
Sounds like it. I was looking to move to a new setup soon anyway. Good timing.

K.Kode
21-03-2012, 22:14
2012 range?

virtuallynathan
21-03-2012, 21:48
Hello,
More than 5 days ..

Regards
octave

A bit cryptic.

oles@ovh.net
21-03-2012, 18:04