OVH Community, your new community space.

Alpha US go

IainK
19-04-2012, 22:19
Quote Originally Posted by Andy.
All servers are gone. Confirmed by UK support.
Darn, I missed it

Andy.
28-03-2012, 18:25
It's easy.

When you subscribe you'll get an email in French. Just reply to that with your order number then watch as you get about an email every minute from everyone else doing the same.

Now just sit there and hope.

Where would I see this alpha server?
Orders Processing in Managerv3?
I see a section for Domains.
Would it be there?

All servers are gone. Confirmed by UK support.

Tz-OVH
28-03-2012, 18:11
I've never used a mailing list, how do I 'post' my order # to it?

jonlewi5
28-03-2012, 18:10
Yeah see your point in regards to having the forum etc, and i cant see why they would choose mailing lists over forums, but im sure there is a reason.

Andy.
28-03-2012, 18:07
Well I see a mailing list as something different.
I see this more as a discussion list and had it been called that I wouldn't have subscribed to the "mailing list" with my OVH registered email which I also thought would be required.

Lets take a slice of Wikipedia:

"Types of mailing lists

At least two types of mailing lists can be defined: an announcement list is closer to the original sense, where a "mailing list" of people was used as a recipient for newsletters, periodicals or advertising. Traditionally this was done through the postal system, but with the rise of email, the electronic mailing list became popular. The second type allows members to post their own items which are broadcast to all of the other mailing list members. This second category is usually known as a discussion list."

Can someone explain why I might want to speak to any other OVH customer about my alpha trial, or why I would want any other customer of the trial trying to contact me via email?

We have the forum here for stuff like that, no?

cartwright118
28-03-2012, 17:48
Andy; That is perfectly normal for a mailing list. You see everyone else's emails to the mail list and visa versa.

The whole point is that once registration is over and people have calmed down, that mailing list will be used to talk about the alpha servers (rather than just being 'spammed' with order numbers)

I don't really think you could class it as a breach of privacy, most people know what the mailing list is and all you are giving is an order number and of course an email address.

mike_
28-03-2012, 17:27
Quote Originally Posted by Andy.
NO GO!

Your mailing list is revealing to me other users emails and order numbers who are requesting US alpha
I have 4 in my inbox so far.

That's 4 emails of OTHER OVH users and their order numbers, all sent to me via the OVH alpha mailing list.

No doubt my email request/confirmation is probably sitting in somebody elses inbox.

Way to go guys. Talk about breaching privacy!
But this is how mailing lists work

wii89
28-03-2012, 17:05
yep I aggre that you are getting other people's orders into your account, in 5 mins i got 30 emails of people ordering the services

Andy.
28-03-2012, 06:35
NO GO!

Your mailing list is revealing to me other users emails and order numbers who are requesting US alpha
I have 4 in my inbox so far.

That's 4 emails of OTHER OVH users and their order numbers, all sent to me via the OVH alpha mailing list.

No doubt my email request/confirmation is probably sitting in somebody elses inbox.

Way to go guys. Talk about breaching privacy!

oles@ovh.net
27-03-2012, 23:06
Hi,
You already benefit from our dedicated
servers in Europe? You're going to love
what we have set up for you in North
America: 360 000 servers to meet your
redundancy, backup and customer proximity
requests.

Be part of the ALPHA: request a free
test server and give us all the feedback
you feel is important. But hurry! This
is a closed Alpha limited to 1,000 servers.

1st step: sign up:
http://www.ovh.com/us/

2nd step: to validate the free of charge
order, please sign up on the "Alpha US"
mailing list, by sending an email to:
alpha-us-subscribe@ml.ovh.net
then post your order number on it

The first 1,000 ALPHA's orders will be
validated by our teams and you will be
given access within a few hours to your
ALPHA dedicated server located in North
America.

We expect to deliver the ALPHA dedicated
servers tonight or/and tomorrow morning.

Thank you for joining our ALPHA phase!

Regards,
Octave