OVH Community, your new community space.

Upgrade debian lenny to squeeze

marks
02-04-2012, 16:43
RPS is a special server that we don't sell anymore. It had the storage on a NAS, which made it a bit special. Nothing to do with full professional servers like SP range.

The upgrades are perfectly possible, though you have to watch out for the kernel. The default kernel that we install the system with it's an optimised version, much smaller and non-modular. That could cause problems with the update.

Alternatively, you can upgrade and afterwards, run the kernel from the network, chosen in here:

OVH Manager >> your server >> Services >> Netboot

In any case, mind that you're doing this update at your own risk. don't do these changes on a production environment, and plan for a downtime in case there is any problem.

gabba
02-04-2012, 15:20
I'm currently running lenny on a 'superplan bestof' dedi and need to upgrade it to squeeze as lenny is now archived.

Upon searching the forums i came across this:
http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5203

Where Neil says "iscsid that RPS Servers doesn't work with newer kernels"

Can anyone shed any light on if this is still true (didn't really want to resurrect an old thread) and, if it is true, if there are any known fixes that allow the upgrade to run smoothly.

It's a very light system just running the base os plus apache, mysql, php but it is used heavily by a client so i can't risk it going down for longer than an hour or so.

Ideally I would much rather just use apt to upgrade over migrating to a brand new server.

Thanks for any help!