OVH Community, your new community space.

OVH IPv6 Support

virtuallynathan
12-04-2012, 20:02
That is a good point! I would wonder what percentage of people secure their server with firewalls. I would hope that those who know how to use shorewall and iptables also know about ip6tables and shorewall6.

Myatu
12-04-2012, 19:44
IMO, IPv6 auto setup on servers should be optional at this time rather than automatic. A a lot of people assume that when they install a firewall, it firewalls both IPv4 and IPv6, which quite often isn't the case (think iptables, shorewall, etc). So this would leave a server exposed, potentially causing problems for both the customer and OVH's own network integrity.

virtuallynathan
12-04-2012, 04:14
I'm mostly talking about servers here. Free telecom in france has 50% of their customers already on IPv6, and others around the world will be following soon.

yonatan
12-04-2012, 03:53
IPV6 is not world wide yet , so by default it takes time to the world to replace routers on DSLM/RAS.

3r1c
11-04-2012, 19:56
OVH should look into allowing customers to return unused IPs.
I have some servers with failover IPs that I no longer need, but I cant cancel them.
I'm not even paying for them because they were from when OVH used to give 3 free failovers for every server.

virtuallynathan
11-04-2012, 12:30
It will not be 5 years until OVH runs out of IPv4 addresses. I'd say maybe a year at the max. OVH has 614,400 IPv4 addresses assigned to "OVH Systems" which is the company that does the dedicated servers, VPS's, Cloud, CDN, etc.. Of those 614,400 IPv4 addresses, 88350 responded to ping, but that is not the full story. OVH has over 120,000 physical servers in their datacenter, each of which would have at least 1 IPv4 address. Another subset will be used for VPS's, CDN, Infrastructure, and other services. IP's that are assigned as a block, like a /29 have some IP's that become no longer usable for a server, but have to used as the broadcast and stuff.

Just to make this clear - in 125 days when RIPE hits its last remaining /8 block (16 million IP's), OVH can only receive 1 more IPv4 address allocation - 1024 IP's:
Allocations for LIRs from the last /8
On application for IPv4 resources LIRs will receive IPv4 addresses according to the following:
a. LIRs may only receive one allocation from this /8. The size of the allocation made under this policy will be exactly one /22.
b. LIRs receive only one /22, even if their needs justify a larger allocation.
c. LIRs may apply for and receive this allocation once they meet the criteria to receive IPv4 address space according to the allocation policy in effect in the RIPE NCC service region at the time of application.
d. Allocations will only be made to LIRs if they have already received an IPv6 allocation from an upstream LIR or the RIPE NCC.
There is no reason NOT to enable IPv6 by default.

Thelen
11-04-2012, 04:13
Are you really asking OVH that?

Bottom line, up to the customer for now, when OVH runs out of v4 they'll do it automatically. But that won't be for 5+ years.

virtuallynathan
10-04-2012, 02:07
IPv6 addresses are provisioned, but not setup on the interface. Last I checked you do not need to use KVM/IPMI and set the IPv4 addresses on the interface?

Why not also setup the IPv6 address on the interface automatically when the server is provisioned, just like what is done with the IPv4 address?

yonatan
10-04-2012, 01:16
Quote Originally Posted by virtuallynathan
RIPE NCC is projected to run into their "Last /8" IP assignment protocol in August 2012 - about 125 days away. See: http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-5...pa-allocations and http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html

When does OVH believe they will have to start limiting IPv4 addresses? I imagine it will be some time in the next 90-120 days.

Why aren't servers provisioned with IPv6 on by default?
OVH servers ARE provisioned with ipv6 by default... check on the manager to see your V6 assignment.
as the server are UN-managed, it is up to you to configure your network card, or hire a professional to help you out with configuring ipv6 on your software.

virtuallynathan
10-04-2012, 00:31
RIPE NCC is projected to run into their "Last /8" IP assignment protocol in August 2012 - about 125 days away. See: http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-5...pa-allocations and http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html

When does OVH believe they will have to start limiting IPv4 addresses? I imagine it will be some time in the next 90-120 days.

Why aren't servers provisioned with IPv6 on by default?