OVH Community, your new community space.

Xen Cloud Platform OS?

IainK
18-05-2012, 11:34
Felix,

That's helpful thanks. I wasn't aware that Ubuntu had progressed with XCP like that.

Preferably I would run the dom0 on CentOS (6.x based is best) but I could certainly have a play with that and see if the same packages could be made for CentOS.

[UPDATE: May 24th 2012 12:23]

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my OVH server with the stock kernel. Proceeded to install xcp-xapi and test it with XenCenter and OpenXenManager.

What I found was that it is nearly there but does not yet feature all of the functionality that XCP provides out the box.

I would choose XenServer over Ubuntu + XCP-XAPI for now.

I am going to attempt to install XCP from the ISO using vKVM and modify any files requiring editting to get the thing booted.

I will report back my findings.

[UPDATE: May 24th 2012 14:40]

Success! I have installed XCP 1.5 using rescue mode + vKVM. I used the ISO, configuring everything as I would have had I used a real KVM, then after the installation I stopped the vKVM process in rescue mode. Issue a reboot, mount the system drive (/dev/sda1) and modify all the MAC Addresses to match the server. Reboot into HDD mode. Wait 100 seconds and boom! XCP!

I notice it has installed without local storage and no iso repository. Both can be added with a bit of terminal magic. Other than that it seems stable. Performance tab doesn't seem to work yet, throws me an error, but that could be due to XCP 1.5 being beta.

I will update when fully working. May put together a tutorial if anyone is interested?

[UPDATE: May 24th 2012 16:04]

Everything working with local storage + iso storage repositories enabled.

Felix
07-05-2012, 16:00
IainK wrote:
> Source: http://www.xen.org/download/xcp/index.html

We didn't receive a lot of demand for XCP... so for now it's not on the TODO
list. But maybe the following xen.org blog article might help you getting
started?
http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2012/0...xapi%E2%80%9C/

Felix

IainK
21-04-2012, 09:45
Quote Originally Posted by cartwright118
I would rather just use XenServer 5.6/6.
Any reason for this?

Do you pay Citrix for support or simply use the free license?

I mostly use my XenServer OVH box as a test bed trying out new configurations before deploying on production boxes. For this reason it would be nice to be able to utilise XCP and have accessible the enterprise features which would otherwise cost $5,000 per server.

It's also very appealing to know that such a large product has been made available open source. Should Citrix choose to stop supporting XenServer tomorrow then the open source community can at least patch and extend it sufficiently enough to allow users the time to migrate to another solution.

Birkhoff
19-04-2012, 21:09
Quote Originally Posted by IainK
Anyone else like to see this OS or is it just me?
I'm with you on this one, would like to see this

cartwright118
17-04-2012, 09:48
As no one else has replied - I will.

I'm not really too fussed about seeing the XCP.

I would rather just use XenServer 5.6/6.

Christian

IainK
13-04-2012, 09:44
Anyone else like to see this OS or is it just me?

IainK
12-04-2012, 12:11
I see OVH supports XenServer 5.6 and XenServer 6.0 but no support for the free open source version Xen Cloud Platform 1.1 or 1.5 (beta) respectively?

It would be nice to see installation options for XCP to effectively get XenServer Enterprise for free but unsupported by Citrix.

I'm sure backend it would not be much development for you guys to modify whatever procedure is installing XenServer to do the same with XCP.

Source: http://www.xen.org/download/xcp/index.html