OVH Community, your new community space.

Can a Ripe IP Block split into failovers still manage RIPE organisations?

IainK
20-04-2012, 11:37
Quote Originally Posted by bago
I splitted my /24 block (into 256 failovers) and the whois is unchanged (has my name in it).
Thanks. Good to know

Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
you can still change the RIPE WHOIS information - but only at the block level. You can't set WHOIS info at the /32 level.
Intriguing so even although they are then configured as /32 on the OVH network, the RIPE block of say /28 isn't changed RIPE end.

Why then can't I reconstruct the block?

Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
As for the second part, when you order a RIPE block you are then allowed to create a RIPE block of any size up to the size you ordered, so you can, for example, order a /29 and create two /30s. Once the block is created it can only be split into failovers.
Nail on the head. Thanks.

Razakel
20-04-2012, 05:49
Quote Originally Posted by IainK
The subject really says it all but for reiteration:

If I split a Ripe IP Block into RIPE IP Failovers can I still manage RIPE Organisations for the IP address but simply as a /32 block, or will it revert to OVH's organisation in the RIPE whois database?

Also I was under the impression from previous forums posts that Ripe IP Blocks could be split in half into two smaller blocks rather than just single IP Failovers but I don't seem to see this in the manager?
They still act like RIPE blocks, you just can't move blocks between servers (apart from as failover IPs, which they effectively become) once you split them, so you can still change the RIPE WHOIS information - but only at the block level. You can't set WHOIS info at the /32 level.

As for the second part, when you order a RIPE block you are then allowed to create a RIPE block of any size up to the size you ordered, so you can, for example, order a /29 and create two /30s. Once the block is created it can only be split into failovers.

bago
19-04-2012, 21:35
I splitted my /24 block (into 256 failovers) and the whois is unchanged (has my name in it).

IainK
19-04-2012, 21:15
The subject really says it all but for reiteration:

If I split a Ripe IP Block into RIPE IP Failovers can I still manage RIPE Organisations for the IP address but simply as a /32 block, or will it revert to OVH's organisation in the RIPE whois database?

Also I was under the impression from previous forums posts that Ripe IP Blocks could be split in half into two smaller blocks rather than just single IP Failovers but I don't seem to see this in the manager?