OVH Community, your new community space.

Virgin Media cannot access my server via port 445

rickyday
25-04-2012, 19:01
Quote Originally Posted by IainK
You could setup a VPN connection between server <-> computer and operate SMB securely over that. Just make sure the new network Windows detects is set as private or work and you should be good to go.

Alternatively setup your server with Samba and create the share there. You could then access it in a number of ways: ssh tunnel, vpn, even just non standard port.
Yes use VPN now and its nice and secure

Andy
25-04-2012, 13:17
Hamachi is the best way to go if you want to do that easily.

IainK
25-04-2012, 12:59
You could setup a VPN connection between server <-> computer and operate SMB securely over that. Just make sure the new network Windows detects is set as private or work and you should be good to go.

Alternatively setup your server with Samba and create the share there. You could then access it in a number of ways: ssh tunnel, vpn, even just non standard port.

jonlewi5
23-04-2012, 15:16
Quote Originally Posted by yonatan
perfectly normal security policy for home users.

smb shares are not intended to work on the internet due to security concerns.
Certainly makes sense then

yonatan
23-04-2012, 12:53
Quote Originally Posted by jonlewi5
The ISP i work at also block 445.
Dont know if this is a normal thing for ISP's?
perfectly normal security policy for home users.

smb shares are not intended to work on the internet due to security concerns.

jonlewi5
22-04-2012, 14:31
Luckily my place is quite open about it, stating that is the ONLY port that is blocked.

DigitalDaz
22-04-2012, 13:34
I know certain ISPs routinely block inbound ports but I was not aware of outbound port blocking other than port 25 to stop spamming. Even then they usually provide an smtp server to relay through.

jonlewi5
22-04-2012, 13:21
The ISP i work at also block 445.
Dont know if this is a normal thing for ISP's?

DigitalDaz
22-04-2012, 11:24
wii89:

Do you have a list of outbound ports that are being blocked?

TIA

rickyday
22-04-2012, 04:07
Ah well i needed to tinker about and learn about L2TP/SSL/SSTP VPNs and certificates anyway

It will be good learning experience for me

Im just peeved that VM are tinkering and blocking certain ports, dont like it lol.

Thanks for clarifying what I thought guys

wii89
22-04-2012, 01:37
Virgin media do block ports

The incoming ports that are being blocked are as follows:

Port Purpose
135 DCOM Service Control Manager
136 PROFILE Naming System
137 NetBIOS Name Service
138 NetBIOS Datagram Service
139 NetBIOS Session Service
445 Microsoft Directory Services
1433 Microsoft SQL Server
1434 Microsoft SQL Monitor
27374 Used by the SubSeven trojan

DigitalDaz
22-04-2012, 01:28
Man, that is lame!

Looks like you are right, I wonder which other ports they block.

I just reconfigured an sshd listener to 445 and could not connect to it.

rickyday
21-04-2012, 18:09
Ive even tried my 3G connection on my HTC phone and the PC still doesnt connect, which is leading me to think it may have been a recent Windows Update that has killed my ability to connect from this install.

Going to remove updates and see if that rectifies the problem.

*edit* not an update problem.

I am now 100% sure Virgin Media block port 445, inbound and outbound.

I want to remotely manage the server, I guess a VPN is the best way?

*Yup VPN time*

rickyday
21-04-2012, 17:28
Ive been pulling my hair out all day with this.

Any Virgin Media connection i use to access a network share on my dedi always fails.

Ive tried disabling firewalls, removing routers, switches, the network share is perfectly acessible from my ovh servers.

Anyone know if Virgin Media are blocking outbound ports? ie port 445?

Ive tried three seperate VM connections now and none of them can connect, ive tried xp and win 7 machines on the VM connections, they all fail.

I used 3 different Virtual Machines on OVH with 3 different OSes and they all work FLAWLESSLY.

I suspect foul play at Virgin Media's end.

Help please

Its not just file shares ive been having trouble with either, i attempted to setup remote management on the server as well and got routing errors, when trying to connect via MMC for example, i believe remote management uses port 445 as well.....here is the error for the network share.

"file and print sharing resource (94.xx.xx.xx) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts. Detected

The remote computer isn’t responding to connections on port 445, possibly due to firewall or security policy settings, or because it might be temporarily unavailable. Windows couldn’t find any problems with the firewall on your computer.

I can ping and tracert to dedicated servers and virtual machines no problem, im convinced its at Virgin Media's end a fault.