OVH Community, your new community space.

[urgent] how can I keep a software running on ubuntu without login

v0x
26-07-2008, 19:53
Quote Originally Posted by mr.eng6
any way thank you for you response I found nice software to connect to remote desktop it called VNC
VNC can pose a non-trivial security risk.

If you do use it, make sure you only allow connections from localhost, and connect to it via SSH.

http://www.linux-tip.net/cms/content/view/333/26/

describes how to do this.

mr.eng6
26-07-2008, 17:31
any way thank you for you response I found nice software to connect to remote desktop it called VNC

mr.eng6
26-07-2008, 17:11
Lastly, stop using your server as a seedbox for illegal wares.
who SAID I'm using for that ??!!!!!

I mean in the first you assumed I'm a stupid thief then judge me passed on it !!!

If I'm using wares then why in the hell I'm using complete open source software on my server (Ubuntu , webmin , Apache , azures .. ect) ... and also on my computer , right now I'm using firefox to write the response , come on guys think a little bit !!!!

I'm a programmer my self and I hate some one steal my stuff ?!

I'd hope they give your information to the authorities.
thank u very much and I hope they give your information to authorities

kingofsplooge
26-07-2008, 13:40
Look,

I personally am using Ubuntu for my home systems, and Suspend / Logout / Hibernate all do the same thing. Will log him out, and close all programs.

Only difference of Suspend and Hibernate, Hibernate switches the server off, and suspend keeps programs "running" but still not active.

If your using the top right button (top taskbar) then that is the systems actual log off buttons.
Try reading the readme for your connection tool (or help) as to how to log off appropriately.

Lastly, stop using your server as a seedbox for illegal wares.

Dash
26-07-2008, 02:27
When you disconnect, click suspend instead of terminate.

kingofsplooge
25-07-2008, 14:39
Firstly, what I believe you are doing, is actually logging off the server, which logs your user off, not your remote session.

This will of course, close all programs.

Secondly, as V0x has said, if you are using your server for illegal wares, then OVH will detect it, they will boot you off, and they won't refund your money.
Along with this, I'd hope they give your information to the authorities.

Unless its legal torrents (Linux, OpenOffice etc) then cool.

v0x
25-07-2008, 13:59
You can try using a linux program called Screen.

type man screen for more information.

Obviously, if you're thinking of using your dedicated server to download pirate material I wouldn't advise it. You will most likely be detected, and your server disconnected/wiped. France has taken a strong stance against piracy.

mr.eng6
25-07-2008, 11:58
hello guys

I have a ubuntu Desktop 7.04 LTS installed on my server
and I connect to the server using NX client

and the problem is:

I want to make a software keep running without my account are still logged on
Because I want to download and upload torrent using my server , and the only torrent web client available is (torrentFlux) and it's very horrible, so I use Azues or bittorent

BUT the problem is this software unlike webmin (apache , mysql ..ect) the don't keep running unless my account is still logged in

if I close the connection all normal software close

what I want is to find a method to accomplish one of this goals :

1. make a bittorrent [software] client keep running on the server without me logging ... like apache and ftp

OR
2. find the best method to make my server seedbox on ubuntu without using (torrentFlux) , because it crash a lot , can't download and upload lot of torrent and have many issues and problem !

and thank you