OVH Community, your new community space.

Is separate data partition possible?

Mark1978
31-05-2012, 12:26
Or install VMWare or XenServer and virtualise the thing so you can do it all yourself.

Andy.
30-05-2012, 13:52
Like it!

yonatan
29-05-2012, 15:40
Quote Originally Posted by RapidSeeds
Sometimes I need to reinstall my OS in the case of a severe problem.
Can I create a separate data partition to store large files?
^So then I have C: for the OS, and D: for my data files.

And then when something goes wrong I can reinstall the OS (windows) on a different partition and leave my data partition untouched (so I don't lose the large files)?

I reinstall the OS; format C:. But leave D: untouched.

Possible here?
In case you have 2 disks only
using KVM-IP you may access the server bios and remove the second hard drive ( put it on disabled ).
then reformat only first disk , reboot re enable the disk in BIOS , and you got your data fresh.

Andy.
29-05-2012, 13:58
Would love to see this feature too.

@_LEMON_

Interesting workaround there.
In windows the setup lets you pick a partition and formats only that partition during setup, leaving the remaining disk/partitions untouched unlike the OVH reinstall which does the whole partition thing each time.

Andy
20-05-2012, 20:11
It may be possible but the way the reinstall system works it formats the drive and re-partitions so it's likely you would lose the data. It's something that has been asked for in the past which OVH said they might work on. You could try it before you put the server into production and see if it works.

_Lemon_
20-05-2012, 02:02
Yes, this is a good idea. However the OVH manager only allows you to install to all disks or just the first one. So in your case you would need to put the OS on the first disk then your data on the other disk(s). If you only use 2 disks you'll then lose the option for RAID 1 which is probably more beneficial if the data is more valuable.

You also need to think about back ups: what happens if something goes wrong and all disks are overwritten? (A bug, intruder, etc). Back ups would be necessary to secure against this kind of failure -- and assuming you can restore from the back up quickly, this would probably be preferred as you're not dependent on OVH's installer.

I do something similar with my Debian machines. When I install I boot into rescue mode and use debootstrap to install to the first partition on the first disk. It also means I can reinstall later via rescue mode without being forced to wipe the entire first disk. I have no idea if Windows has an equivalent of deboostrap.

RapidSeeds
19-05-2012, 23:55
Sometimes I need to reinstall my OS in the case of a severe problem.
Can I create a separate data partition to store large files?
^So then I have C: for the OS, and D: for my data files.

And then when something goes wrong I can reinstall the OS (windows) on a different partition and leave my data partition untouched (so I don't lose the large files)?

I reinstall the OS; format C:. But leave D: untouched.

Possible here?