We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Release of Virtual Kimsufi (vKS)

K.Kode
17-06-2012, 19:14
^^

Moose
17-06-2012, 18:47
Quote Originally Posted by raxxeh
Because they're not going to order a ton of addresses and locate them at every pop they have in the world. They will bulk buy to one location and assign from there.
Why bother saying it's in a different location then?

raxxeh
17-06-2012, 18:12
Quote Originally Posted by Moose
I just got one and selected chicago so my server has a us ip yet it's still listed as canada on whois?
Because they're not going to order a ton of addresses and locate them at every pop they have in the world. They will bulk buy to one location and assign from there.

Moose
17-06-2012, 06:33
I just got one and selected chicago so my server has a us ip yet it's still listed as canada on whois?

makno
16-06-2012, 16:16
lol for once i was at home when the vks were given out, as the tweet appeared (15.00 london time) i started trying to get the code and allways "sorry there was a problem with your request" and popped for a new captcha. Than suddenly a different message "we allocated all servfers for today, please try again tomorrow"

marks
15-06-2012, 13:11
these vks are beta test servers. it's still not decided, but when we prod the final product, we'll allow you to renew it and the product will come with some guarantees. At the moment, this one doesn't come with any guarantees.

More about it in the following weeks.

DanM248
15-06-2012, 12:45
I keep getting this:

"Sorry, we have reached the limit of vKS available today. Please come back tomorrow."

mike_
14-06-2012, 23:06
http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/vks/geovks.xml this page says the Micro VKS has 1TB traffic but in managerv5 it shows the limit as 500GB.

Also I tried to renew it but I can't because the price is 0.00

Kacotet
14-06-2012, 12:16
How much will it cost to renew the Micro?

S0phie
14-06-2012, 11:50
Quote Originally Posted by mike_
Is the XS vKS free forever? It kind of implies it on the site, but it's not clear.
You can see the expiry date of your vks in your Manager v5. Then it's up to you to renew (and pay for) it or not.

marks
14-06-2012, 10:52
Quote Originally Posted by yonatan
this is only good if it can be controlled from SOAPI

can you please add the commands to the index?

http://www.ovh.com/soapi/en/

I use my own perl soap gateway to communicate with the manager & servers commands ( like a reboot panel + mrtg with html ), this is stored locally and used for fast access to the machines without login/logout to the manager manually.
if it's possible to add vks to soapi it will be a blast!

vzctl stop vzctl start at least if system is OOM , this can be automated to reboot the container if there is no get / on 80 ..
at the moment, there is no API for vKS, but we'll be requesting information about it.

mike_
13-06-2012, 21:10
Is the XS vKS free forever? It kind of implies it on the site, but it's not clear.

yonatan
13-06-2012, 03:47
this is only good if it can be controlled from SOAPI

can you please add the commands to the index?

http://www.ovh.com/soapi/en/

I use my own perl soap gateway to communicate with the manager & servers commands ( like a reboot panel + mrtg with html ), this is stored locally and used for fast access to the machines without login/logout to the manager manually.
if it's possible to add vks to soapi it will be a blast!

vzctl stop vzctl start at least if system is OOM , this can be automated to reboot the container if there is no get / on 80 ..

mike_
13-06-2012, 00:32
From what I gather there'll be more, like the slow trickle of beta servers.

Jackster
13-06-2012, 00:22
Are the free Micro vKS you're giving away free forever?
Only 100 were given out apparently to Twitter.

mike_
12-06-2012, 21:08
Are the free Micro vKS you're giving away free forever?

Moose
11-06-2012, 17:17
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Well if you compare the Kimsufi and OVH Servers, you can see they are slightly less than the Price.

Kimsufi 2G is 13.99, but 14.99 on the European sites.
Oh I see, didn't notice that they were on for the same as , I did notice however that in the other servers (for instance 16G) the exchange rate seems to be 1.1 rather than 1.2 which was why I asked as a year or two ago this wasn't the case.

Neil
11-06-2012, 14:02
Quote Originally Posted by Moose
Does this mean that the other server prices are coming down a bit? It would help the bank alot if I could pay less lol.
Well if you compare the Kimsufi and OVH Servers, you can see they are slightly less than the Price.

Kimsufi 2G is 13.99, but 14.99 on the European sites.

Moose
10-06-2012, 19:13
Quote Originally Posted by marks
currency exchange update.

Some unexpected good consequences of the euro-crisis ;-)
Does this mean that the other server prices are coming down a bit? It would help the bank alot if I could pay less lol.

mike_
10-06-2012, 18:23
Is the RAM allocation guaranteed? I'm getting errors

!! Critical Warning (VZ): You are only only allowed to use 132 Megabytes of ram! 512 Megabytes is recommended. !!
!! Warning (VZ): You are only only guaranteed 357 Megabytes of ram when the system is out of ram! 512 Megabytes is recommended. !!

Myatu
10-06-2012, 15:15
... at least one additional IPv4 and IPv6 address.
IPv6, yes. IPv4, no. RIPE is estimated to allocate its last IPv4 block in August 2012. I'd be betting there'll be stricter rules on how to get an extra IPv4 address and/or fee increases. Good thing OVH operates in the US/Canada too now though, they have until 2013 before they run out

mike_
10-06-2012, 14:05
I'm just trialling one of these. I know they're only meant for small-scale personal use, but it would be nice if we had the option of at least one additional IPv4 and IPv6 address.

marks
08-06-2012, 17:19
Quote Originally Posted by Thelen
And, can you buy more BW?
no, it's no possible to buy extra traffic, at least at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM248
@marks
is there a way to buy a plesk license for the vKS? There doesnt seem to be an option too
nope, it's not possible. You'll have to get your own and install it in the server

Thanks for your feedbacks, we'll pass them on to our developers, depending on the demand and the product, we'll see if it's possible to offer the things that you ask for.

Thelen
08-06-2012, 11:43
Someone try it with minecraft and let us know how it goes

Decent offers, nothing that great vs normal VPS, but a lot better than the other range

Oh and does it come with 1 IPV4 and 1 IPv6 it isn't clear?

And, can you buy more BW?

DanM248
08-06-2012, 09:00
@marks

is there a way to buy a plesk license for the vKS? There doesnt seem to be an option too

marks
01-06-2012, 18:39
currency exchange update.

Some unexpected good consequences of the euro-crisis ;-)

cartwright118
01-06-2012, 18:27
Quote Originally Posted by S0phie
New prices in UK for vKS:

http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/vks/

SMALL is now at 3.99 +vat/month instead of 4.99

MEDIUM is now at 6.49 +vat/month instead of 7.99

LARGE is now at 11.99 +vat/month instead of 14.99
The new prices are obviously great, but may I ask why the price change?

Thank you
Christian

S0phie
01-06-2012, 16:19
Clear cache or refresh you page

wii89
01-06-2012, 16:17
website still says old prices

S0phie
01-06-2012, 16:12
New prices in UK for vKS:

http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/vks/

SMALL is now at 3.99 +vat/month instead of 4.99

MEDIUM is now at 6.49 +vat/month instead of 7.99

LARGE is now at 11.99 +vat/month instead of 14.99

Neil
30-05-2012, 17:28
Quote Originally Posted by theo
Hi,

A few questions:
* What RAID type are you using here? How are you storing Virtual Machine data?
* Do VMs fail over on hardware failure to a different host node?
* Can we send email on vKS servers? I believe on your miniCloud offering you could not.
* What Virtualisation Technology are you using? Xen, KVM, OpenVZ...?
* Can you confirm IPv6 availability and the ability to remote reload?
* Are we able to take image backups of the VM and store them remotely?

Thanks!
Hi

The vKS is our basic VPS Package.

It uses OpenVZ and ZFS Filers (no High Availability like our OVH VPS) and you get an IPV6 Address. You can reboot and reinstall the server from the OVH Manager V5 and it is not possible to take image backups of your VPS.

Alicks
30-05-2012, 15:26
It's a shame you get only one IP(v6) rather than a range. I know the equivalent service on, for example leaseweb, does include a /64 range.

However, for the money, it's a great little service, and the manager v5 does make it easy to control the VPS. (Good work on that!)

The choice of OS' is a little limited, but as I would have chosen Debian anyway, I'm glad they default to Debian 6.0.

But anyhow, I won't be swapping my actual Kimsufi or OVH server for any of these just because once you've got a taste for dedicated hardware, you don't really want to go back to a virtual platform. Nevertheless, a very good market competitor (and probably dominator) for all those little VPS companies.

theo
30-05-2012, 14:54
Hi,

A few questions:
* What RAID type are you using here? How are you storing Virtual Machine data?
* Do VMs fail over on hardware failure to a different host node?
* Can we send email on vKS servers? I believe on your miniCloud offering you could not.
* What Virtualisation Technology are you using? Xen, KVM, OpenVZ...?
* Can you confirm IPv6 availability and the ability to remote reload?
* Are we able to take image backups of the VM and store them remotely?

Thanks!

ebony
30-05-2012, 08:30
hmm might make a nice backup server. might have to get one

DigitalDaz you have to let us know how it goes.

DigitalDaz
28-05-2012, 15:23
My cat /proc/cpuinfo:

processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 16
model : 2
model name : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 6172
stepping : 3
cpu MHz : 2100.025
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 8
core id : 0
cpu cores : 8
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good tsc_reliable nonstop_tsc unfair_spinlock pni cx16 popcnt hypervisor lahf_lm extapic abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch
bogomips : 4200.05
TLB size : 1024 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

S0phie
28-05-2012, 15:21
Your vks should now be delivered. Sorry for the delay.

Also, as stated in our terms and conditions, support for vks is only provided via our Kimsufi forum. If you have any queries, please post them here: http://forum.kimsufi.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Neil
28-05-2012, 13:10
Quote Originally Posted by cartwright118
What is it size of '1 x vCPU'?

Thank you
Christian
Hi

It is 2Ghz, however the reason we do not list it is because there are is noSLA on the hardware.

DigitalDaz
28-05-2012, 10:33
Quote Originally Posted by RikT
I order one but can you tell me how long the delivery time is on these as i would of thought as its a vps it would be an instant deployment i have received no emails apart from telling me payment has been accepted my nic-handle rt3910-ovh can you please at least let me know how long the lead time is
Same here Rik

cartwright118
27-05-2012, 09:08
What is it size of '1 x vCPU'?

Thank you
Christian

RikT
26-05-2012, 12:30
I order one but can you tell me how long the delivery time is on these as i would of thought as its a vps it would be an instant deployment i have received no emails apart from telling me payment has been accepted my nic-handle rt3910-ovh can you please at least let me know how long the lead time is

S0phie
25-05-2012, 17:54
Hello,

Here is a new range of simple, powerful and economical VPS: The "Virtual Kimsufi". The vKS is the smaller brother of the Kimsufi range, with great performance for a low price.

It's the ideal server if you want a mail or small web server without breaking the bank!

Here are the packages:

SMALL 1vCPU 512MB RAM 25GB Storage 4.99 +vat/month

MEDIUM 1vCPU 1GB RAM 50GB Storage 7.99 +vat/month

LARGE 1vCPU 2GB RAM 100GB Storage 14.99 +vat/month

No setup fee

We are always keen to hear your feedback and to know what you do with your servers, so please don't hesitate to post your comments here.

Cheers,

OVH Team