OVH Community, your new community space.

Nameservers ns1 ns2

IainK
27-07-2008, 13:42
Andy, that is *always* how I do it on Windows and it has never failed me yet! (3 boxes and counting with OVH, 90+ elsewhere)

As for linux it's rather easy once you figure out how to do it. If you need help with linux post back telling me what your distribution is and i'll give you the commands.

Andy
26-07-2008, 19:17
Quote Originally Posted by Palad1n
You have to configure it on your server too.....

Setup Loopback on Windows or Subinterface on Linux Eth0:1 etc.

http://help.ovh.co.uk - Look for IPAlias & Failover IP

On Windows I would forget the loopback interface. You can add it as a secondary IP like you would normally add a second IP.

E.G.

1. Open the network adapter properties
  2. Open the TCP/IP properties
  3. Click Advanced
  4. Add a new IP
  5. Enter your fail-over IP
  6. Enter the subnet 255.255.255.0
  7. Click the Add button then OK, then OK again
  8. Say 'Yes' to the multiple gateways question box
  9. Ping your IP.

See if that works, it did for me but this was after having a loopback adapter previously installed and already making registry changes etc (which may have had an effect).

Palad1n
26-07-2008, 18:56
Quote Originally Posted by Yianni
What sort of setting up is required apart from enabling it? The fail over IP is listed in the control panel fine. It just doesn't respond to pings. Am I missing something?

Cheers
You have to configure it on your server too.....

Setup Loopback on Windows or Subinterface on Linux Eth0:1 etc.

http://help.ovh.co.uk - Look for IPAlias & Failover IP

Andy
26-07-2008, 18:40
What sort of setting up is required apart from enabling it? The fail over IP is listed in the control panel fine. It just doesn't respond to pings. Am I missing something?

Cheers
Its likely the firewall is blocking pings (e.g. the firewall is turned on to maximum protection).

Is your server running Windows or Linux?

Yianni
26-07-2008, 14:09
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Mine responds to pings so obviously you haven't set it up properly. The method OVH gives isn't really the best for Windows, and in the end I did it my own way without using the loop back controller. It should respond to pings if its working.

I don't run my own name servers due to the fact that I can never get it working. I simply use my domain registrars name servers and I've never had a problem.

Cheers

Andy
25-07-2008, 21:18
That does help indeed.

I simply thought that the fail over IP was exactly that, a fail over IP which would only be active when something happens to the primary IP.

BTW is this how you have your name servers setup using the fail over IP for ns2?

Thanks for the quick reply its appreciated.

Cheers

EDIT: Just one thing I noticed though. We have a fail over IP active for one of our servers and that IP doesn't seem to respond to pings. The primary IP is responding to pings fine though. Is this normal? Also if the fail over IP doesnt respond to pings will it be ok to use as a nameserver IP?
Mine responds to pings so obviously you haven't set it up properly. The method OVH gives isn't really the best for Windows, and in the end I did it my own way without using the loop back controller. It should respond to pings if its working.

I don't run my own name servers due to the fact that I can never get it working. I simply use my domain registrars name servers and I've never had a problem.

Yianni
25-07-2008, 19:02
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
All servers come with at least 2 IP's (The second is called a "fail-over IP" which is still a normal IP). You can run your HTTP server and a name server on the same IP.

So,

IP1 = ns1. and HTTP
IP2 = ns2. and ????

Hope that helps.
That does help indeed.

I simply thought that the fail over IP was exactly that, a fail over IP which would only be active when something happens to the primary IP.

BTW is this how you have your name servers setup using the fail over IP for ns2?

Thanks for the quick reply its appreciated.

Cheers

EDIT: Just one thing I noticed though. We have a fail over IP active for one of our servers and that IP doesn't seem to respond to pings. The primary IP is responding to pings fine though. Is this normal? Also if the fail over IP doesnt respond to pings will it be ok to use as a nameserver IP?

Andy
25-07-2008, 18:48
All servers come with at least 2 IP's (The second is called a "fail-over IP" which is still a normal IP). You can run your HTTP server and a name server on the same IP.

So,

IP1 = ns1. and HTTP
IP2 = ns2. and ????

Hope that helps.

Yianni
25-07-2008, 18:46
Hey,

Ok, we are thinking of moving the last of our servers over to OVH for the complete transition.

Currently the server has 4 IP's which we use 2 of them for NS1 and NS2 in the forum of ns1.domainname.com and ns2.domainname.com

Since OVH only provides 1 IP how do we go about setting up or NS1 and NS2?

I've seen that OVH provide a Secondary DNS in the form of ns11.ovh.net and so on with their servers.

Would the best way be to point NS1 to the OVH server IP which we receive with the server and NS2 to the Secondary DNS IP which OVH provide?

Thanks in advance.

Yianni