OVH Community, your new community space.

Crazy Crazy Stuff

Palad1n
04-07-2012, 09:12
Hi,

Have you looked into Cloud File hosting with CDN providers?

Limelight/Akamai/AWS etc.

Depending on your budget and location (in the world) might be worth buying your own hardware and finding a Co-Lo provider.

Put together a few 1U Servers and a SAN with RAID10 15k/SSD get BW from Co-Lo

If you want to chat more drop me a PM (no I am not a co-lo provider!) but I do have lot contacts in UK.

P

Andy
04-07-2012, 09:06
OVH's network can easily handle it. They have over 800Gbps to the Internet! If the rack uplink can't handle it, then it should be upgraded Especially if it's for the 10Gbps series'. I'd expect to be able to max that out when needed.

Thelen
04-07-2012, 07:09
It isn't just the cost, it is what the network can handle.

Offering additional bandwidth increases the burstability, and while they have limited uplink capacity in the racks obviously that is a problem potentially.

Andy
28-06-2012, 09:08
I still don't understand why you can't pay for as much bandwidth as you're going to use. If it really costs OVH so much they shouldn't offer it for such a low price and not expect people to try and use it...

Thelen
28-06-2012, 09:00
No but bandwidth is cheap as chips, certainly a lot cheaper than any other way you'd do it :P

freshwire
25-06-2012, 08:07
Quote Originally Posted by Thelen
Check out backup series?
The backup series doesn't have much bandwidth. As for the VKS idea I wonder how that would perform at times when there are no popular files. At some periods the 1-2gb/s can be used by many downloaders each downloading a different file.

Thelen
25-06-2012, 05:06
Check out backup series?

Myatu
24-06-2012, 23:13
If it's a hand full of files, less than 25GB a pop, and you can pinpoint them from, say, log files, then simply a VKS should do fine, IMO. Otherwise, it would become a bit more complex, and I'd go for a public cloud instance. If it's a lot of large files (say, 1TB out of the 20-some TB), then a cloud instance/VKS is no longer and would opt for a dedicated box instead. That's just me though...

freshwire
24-06-2012, 00:47
So what servers would you use for storage long term then with the proposal above?

Myatu
23-06-2012, 17:14
With mC I meant OVH's VPS. Hmm, but do you need the full 20TB for the most frequent files though? Was thinking about off-loading: least requested files stay put, files requested often get placed on their own VPS/VKS - if the file is less than 25GB, you're OK to use the VKS. If what file gets served most changes often, you could use a public cloud instance instead. But all depends on situation though, just throwing in some peanuts...

freshwire
23-06-2012, 15:55
@Myatu we would need to have 200 of the large VKS to get the ~20TB disk space. What is mC? Do you mean the private cloud? It is expensive just for the disk and usually the bandwidth is the expensive thing so..

@unclebob Ye that seems like a decent option too. We are far from invested in any idea yet. It was just a light discussion.

Myatu
23-06-2012, 14:50
Oi Monkey!!

Can't you use a VKS or mC for this, depending on how large the actual file(s) are? Assuming that OVH doesn't have all the VKS on the same SAN, that would still reduce the bottleneck issue.

Thelen
23-06-2012, 11:31
30 100Mbit unmetered is fine, I can personally say 92 of the SP mini were totally fine

You'll see I have a thread about extra bandwidth, but that won't apply to you

unclebob
22-06-2012, 14:34
If you want to increase your stress even more but reduce your costs then go for the regular Superplan Minis at £44.99 and buy ~22TB additional traffic each month at £0.89*22, saving you £25.42 per server per month.

Or even go with Kimsufi 2Gs (if it's just static file serving) and save £51.97 on each server

Andy
22-06-2012, 12:10
The 100Mbps unlimited are priced accordingly, so you should be fine with buying as many as you like. Same with 1Gbps.

freshwire
22-06-2012, 09:26
So BenB and I were talking about the amazing emoticons on OVH that I have missed so much (and also something about servers). If one were to buy 30 of the 100mb unlimited servers would OVH freak out?

We were working on a server with some 22TB disk (with raid redundancy) and 2 bonded gigabit connections using 1gb/s+ average. It was slow with all the disk trashing. I suggested buying 20-30 of these little servers and having the site automatically manage load between them by having multiple copies of the more popular files.

Doubt that this will actually happen. Too much stress for us to setup 30 servers but we would like to know what OVH thinks about this? Do have customers who make large purchases like that regularly?

Unrelated: Was Fozl staff a while ago? His account says BANNED