OVH Community, your new community space.

Vkvm

Abdurrahman
25-06-2012, 09:16
Quote Originally Posted by RikT
This is really stupid not being able to make custom partitions on this v5 manager how can we fully beta test these servers if we cannot set them up the way we need to to be able to test I thought that was the whole object of beta testing and if ovh think that people will keep these servers on after beta without have the same functionality as the rest of teh servers they must be mad
Hi RikT,

The beta test is more to test the network and connectivity of our new data centre, not just the functionality of the servers themselves, it will be added in time of course, but we don't feel these services require testing since they've been operational for some time.

Kacotet
24-06-2012, 09:29
Quote Originally Posted by RikT
This is really stupid not being able to make custom partitions on this v5 manager how can we fully beta test these servers if we cannot set them up the way we need to to be able to test I thought that was the whole object of beta testing and if ovh think that people will keep these servers on after beta without have the same functionality as the rest of teh servers they must be mad
It's BETA. I'm sure they'll add it soon.

RikT
23-06-2012, 16:35

RikT
23-06-2012, 15:17
Not really much point in having the vkvm really hwen you cant do much with it lol

Myatu
23-06-2012, 15:06
I completely misunderstood, sorry - mixed up vKVM with VKS, too many abbreviations. It still wouldn't work with a netinstall, because the VKVM is a virtual environment - the only thing that is "real" is the HDD. So during install, it would use the drivers for the "virtual" peripherals it sees (network, CPU), which are different once you reboot your actual server (and this means you can't access it, because it has the incorrect network drivers).

You can do disk repartitioning via a NetRescue mode, but not sure if this is available for the beta servers as well. And it can be a bit involved, tbh.

RikT
23-06-2012, 14:49
I mean a complete clean install from a netinstall iso in rescue vkvm or something simalar to this http://www.virtuallifestyle.nl/2009/...-os-on-an-ovh/

Myatu
23-06-2012, 14:42
What do you mean by "stock"? if you're talking in terms of the kernel, this cannot be done as the vKVM is OpenVZ based (it shares the same kernel as the host system - and that kernel has TUN/TAP as well as NFS disabled, latter of which is a bit naff, if you'd ask me).

RikT
23-06-2012, 14:20
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas if and how to install a clean stock version of debian through vkvm as it doesnt seem that on the beta servers we can set partitions up in the new manager hopefully thats gonna be fixed and the debootstrap way doesnt seem to work so vkvm seems my only option but not at all sure how to do it or if it can be done.
Thanks for any help in advance