OVH Community, your new community space.

New distribution: SmartOS

Neil
25-07-2012, 14:10
Quote Originally Posted by K.Kode
The VT is down to CPU type, all the Intel 'I' range are capable of virtualisation and some of the other CPU's that appear in the 2Gs are also capable. For full list check http://ark.intel.com/Products/VirtualizationTechnology
Thats right, so it maybe possible for on some 2Gs but not all. If you want it guaranteed. then order a server that supports Virtualization Technology.

K.Kode
25-07-2012, 13:15
The VT is down to CPU type, all the Intel 'I' range are capable of virtualisation and some of the other CPU's that appear in the 2Gs are also capable. For full list check http://ark.intel.com/Products/VirtualizationTechnology

cartwright118
25-07-2012, 12:22
Quote Originally Posted by ashp
Is this still an option? I tried to purchase a i7 via kimsufi.ie specifically to look into SmartOS and get a feel for it but it doesn't appear as any of the distro choices when ordering.
Read the beginning of this thread (my post and Neils reply)

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaz
I cannot find it either in the initial ordering menu but 100% you can choose it as a reinstall option on the i7, I just checked one of my Kimis.

I have seen this happen before too. Just order it with another OS then reinstall, its under Solaris on the reinstall and listed as:

Operating system Joyent SmartOS (ALPHA)
It isn't even listed in the reinstall options on my server. It is on a couple of them, but it isn't on all of them.

DigitalDaz
25-07-2012, 00:25
Quote Originally Posted by ashp
Is this still an option? I tried to purchase a i7 via kimsufi.ie specifically to look into SmartOS and get a feel for it but it doesn't appear as any of the distro choices when ordering.
I cannot find it either in the initial ordering menu but 100% you can choose it as a reinstall option on the i7, I just checked one of my Kimis.

I have seen this happen before too. Just order it with another OS then reinstall, its under Solaris on the reinstall and listed as:

Operating system Joyent SmartOS (ALPHA)

K.Kode
24-07-2012, 20:32
It's a variation of Solaris so check there.

ashp
24-07-2012, 19:51

Shimon
22-07-2012, 13:07
Linux + Btrfs should be stable for next year. May want to keep that in mind.

Myatu
21-07-2012, 19:05
I like this...!

wii89
20-07-2012, 00:50
will it be supported on Kimsufi 2G and/or Vsk?

Neil
19-07-2012, 16:32
Quote Originally Posted by cartwright118
Which new servers is it available on?

Thank you
Christian
I was looking at your servers, I won't list them but if you look you can get it on some of your Kimsufi and all of your OVH Servers.

Edit: We allow SmartOS on all servers that support virtualization.

cartwright118
19-07-2012, 15:51
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Hi

I have checked your account, it only available on certain servers because of hardware compatibility. if you look through your server you can see it is available on some of them.
Which new servers is it available on?

Thank you
Christian

Neil
19-07-2012, 14:21
Hi

I have checked your account, it only available on certain servers because of hardware compatibility. if you look through your server you can see it is available on some of them.

cartwright118
19-07-2012, 13:56
Hi Guys,

How is this installed?

I checked out the netboot options and also the re-installation options. It appears in neither.

I only have Linux Operating System, FreeBSD Operating System and Windows Operating System to choose from. It doesn't technically fit into any of these categories but its not in any of the categories anyway. I checked.

Thank you
Christian

unclebob
19-07-2012, 01:58
Sounds very promising, nice!

S0phie
18-07-2012, 18:58
Hello,

At OVH we use our own infrastructure of advanced features such as ZFS for file systems or Zones for virtualization.
Recently we had the opportunity to try an open source distribution with these features. Since we have been convinced by the results, we are pleased to offer you SmartOS.

Based on Open Solaris, it includes many software solutions for dedicated servers such as:
- ZFS
- DTrace
- KVM
- Zones

This OS uses a few resources will allow you to dedicate the power of your servers to your applications. For the very first time at OVH, the OS is only in netboot: the whole disk space can be used for the data and the system can be updated with a simple reboot (a bit like linux kernel).

You can now install SmartOS from your manager.
https://www.ovh.co.uk/managerv5

For more information about these OS features, please go to http://smartos.org/

Like for any new OS offered by OVH, this is an alpha and please feel free to share your feedbacks, comments in order to improve its integration in our different ranges of dedicated servers.
to our range of dedicated servers.

Thomas, OVH