We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

dedicated servers bandwidth trends 2013

Mark1978
22-08-2012, 09:28
Ok, cool. I'm nowhere near my limits per server as it is

Thelen
22-08-2012, 07:12
It is perhaps only there because only recently they dropped BW price so low, and didn't realise how much extra people will buy.

OVH network *cannot* cope with all the extra BW that you think people should be able to do.

To give an example: http://imgur.com/a77hk,FMNGu

First picture is normal, second is when we have a non-OVH box download from OVH, maxed at about 550MB/s.

Mark, you could buy up to about 300TB of extra BW per Gbit server, the 100mbit are fine to be buying the 10-15TB extra. More than enough :P

Mark1978
21-08-2012, 17:27
First time I have heard of anything like this? I have 21 servers with OVH, what's my bandwidth limitations?

Andy
21-08-2012, 11:43
Actually I just looked it up, it's 3.66PB/month = 11.2Gbps avg - my mistake.

Yes, both parties lose out. The customer can't have what they require, and OVH don't get any money as a result. If OVH charged appropriately to let people have the bandwidth they require there wouldn't be any problem, but OVH do everything on the cheap and as a result they then have to throttle your usage. That's not how a professional datacenter should be operated. By all means have cheapo for those who want cheapo but for those who want professional you also need to give that option too.

11.2Gbps average continuosly is not a lot for OVH's huge network. I wouldn't expect to pay just 300 a month for a server with a 10Gbps connection and get away with maxing it out, but to stop us from paying for extra bandwidth is kinda shooting themselves in the foot don't you think?

I'll say it again, don't offer a service if you're not prepared to let people use it, and don't offer a service if you're not prepared to let people buy it! At least if you're going to do that make it clear in plain text and not hidden in some unwritten rules on a forum.

Thelen
21-08-2012, 11:30
No one expects to be able to drive their GTO around at 300kmh 24/7, why is this any different? Most people on the internet are used to limits and contention.

Why don't you instead see it as 1Gbps guaranteed with the possibility to burst to 10Gbit?

1PB a day is 33PB a month, 100Gbps :P Or 100Mbps if you meant TB. Anyway, both parties loose out? Really? Who is to say OVH would make anything from it?

Andy
21-08-2012, 10:10
Personally I don't use much more than 1TB a month these days, but it's not an argument for my sake it's for everyone else.

I agree 1Gbps is a lot of bandwidth, but if someone pays for 10Gbps they should expect to be able to use it as much and as often as they like, period. What they use it for is nobody's concern unless it's for illegal activity, but even then legal activity can still generate that kind of bandwidth.

Just look at the likes of image hosting site imgur.com. They push about 1PB of data a day. Under these rules, OVH wouldn't let you host anything like that with them, so both parties would lose out. 1PB is only about 3.5Gbps continuous bandwidth, hardly a lot. If the user is willing to pay for it then I say let them use it...

Thelen
21-08-2012, 02:24
No... More like Ford GTO being able to do 300kmh, but not 24/7

It is called bursting, there are plenty of people that are completely happy with the 1Gbps 'cap', it is, after all, 300TB of bandwidth. Anyone doing that much should be making more than enough money off it to not complain about it, or to get another server, or to get this extra BW stuff...

I have no idea what you guys are doing, but even to me, a "seedboxer" with tight as margins, none of this is particularly a problem.

Andy
20-08-2012, 17:37
More like they allow you to travel at 70mph for 20 miles a day then you're capped to 50mph.

The customer shouldn't need to care about OVH's backend capabilities. If you offer 10Gbps, you provide it, you don't fob the customer off with excuses. Virgin Media already do this to enough people, don't let OVH start too.

LawsHosting
20-08-2012, 17:29
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
You get a server with 10Gbps connection, Oles then contacts you when you use it solid for X hours... You're paying for 10Gbps, why should it matter to OVH when/how long you use it?
I agree with this.

Bit like saying, Ford will cap your mileage if you reach nn miles within a specific time-frame? Rubbish comparison?

Andy
20-08-2012, 10:52
You get a server with 10Gbps connection, Oles then contacts you when you use it solid for X hours... You're paying for 10Gbps, why should it matter to OVH when/how long you use it? If they're going to make you stop using it, they shouldn't be offering 10Gbps connections at all. That to me makes it obvious their network can't cope with it or they're stopping you using it because it costs them money. In either case they shouldn't be offering it.

Thelen
20-08-2012, 10:41
What speed do you think they aren't giving you? False advertising usually has to do with complete lack of a feature or whatever, not that it isn't there 100% of the time.

Anyway, indeed.

Are you able to go down in bandwidth plans, or even cancel entirely? IE 40-8Gbps.

Andy
19-08-2012, 12:14
Hmm I see your point, but they shouldn't offer a speed if they can't or rather won't give you it. There's probably some false advertising somewhere in that but probably covered by T&C's some how.

Anyway it's still not right in my mind.

Thelen
19-08-2012, 10:00
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Do they actually throttle automatically? I thought they monitored and approached the customers where they were exceeding their limits and then throttled that customers servers manually.

I remember when Oles was enforcing the limits and would regularly post that he had throttled some servers.

I do find it strange that OVH will offer bandwidth at 1/TB but then won't let you buy it after you have bought so much. If it costs more then charge us more so we can at least buy what we need. Don't turn around and say "oh, no more for you".

OVH has one of the biggest and best networks in the world, you can't seriously tell me that the network can't handle customers who want to use lots of bandwidth.
Not auto-auto, but there is some automation for say ovh.com accounts. Nothing for .uk/ie.

They can offer 1/TB up to a point, their internal network actually isn't that great with regards to supporting crazy amounts of bandwidth. IE, they have 20 x 10Gbit boxes on a switch with only 2x10Gbit uplinks etc. So there is a practical limit. So when a friend was doing 10Gbit solid on a public torrent for 12 hours, he got a nice email from Oles

And others, who have done >1Gbps average on a 10Gbit server have had advice to stay below. ETC ETC.

The other reason is, if they are doing that much traffic, where it is going, and with it not being peering it costing OVH more than that.

This is just first step, OVH in another year will easily support >100Gbit per customer, especially in the US/CA.

virtuallynathan
18-08-2012, 17:34
Quote Originally Posted by Thelen
Yes. At the moment .uk/ie if you try to do more than 1Gbps average (ie purchasing 300TB extra bandwidth), OVH will complain :P

It is good pricing, but still not quite as good as 1e/TB extra bandwidth, and at 30Gbps+ customers with any sort of capital for servers would be doing their own thing, which is what you've alluded at anyway

What I want to know is, what is the limitations on internal bandwidth? IE, if we had 20Gbps option, would doing 40Gbps internal traffic + 20Gbps external be OK?

On a technical question, how the hell are you doing cross-datacenter cross-server cross-switch throttling such that a customer with 100 servers in 3 DC and 5 racks and 10 switches cannot do more than X Gbps? That would imply some sort of global sharing between edges, or only 1 edge, and some damn clever counting :/

All of the servers in any RBX datacenter do essentially share one edge. I suspect they will just throttle switch ports, using HG as an example:
1 HG server = 10Gbit/s port
2 HG servers = 5Gbit/s per port
3 HG servers = 3.5Gbit/s per port
4 HG servers = 2.5Gbit/s per port
... etc.

The other option is H-QoS on the ASR9000, but that would probably mean each customer would need their own VLAN which I suspect would be greater than the number of VLANs supported on an ASR9000.

Andy
18-08-2012, 11:34
Do they actually throttle automatically? I thought they monitored and approached the customers where they were exceeding their limits and then throttled that customers servers manually.

I remember when Oles was enforcing the limits and would regularly post that he had throttled some servers.

I do find it strange that OVH will offer bandwidth at 1/TB but then won't let you buy it after you have bought so much. If it costs more then charge us more so we can at least buy what we need. Don't turn around and say "oh, no more for you".

OVH has one of the biggest and best networks in the world, you can't seriously tell me that the network can't handle customers who want to use lots of bandwidth.

Thelen
18-08-2012, 07:37
Yes. At the moment .uk/ie if you try to do more than 1Gbps average (ie purchasing 300TB extra bandwidth), OVH will complain :P

It is good pricing, but still not quite as good as 1e/TB extra bandwidth, and at 30Gbps+ customers with any sort of capital for servers would be doing their own thing, which is what you've alluded at anyway

What I want to know is, what is the limitations on internal bandwidth? IE, if we had 20Gbps option, would doing 40Gbps internal traffic + 20Gbps external be OK?

On a technical question, how the hell are you doing cross-datacenter cross-server cross-switch throttling such that a customer with 100 servers in 3 DC and 5 racks and 10 switches cannot do more than X Gbps? That would imply some sort of global sharing between edges, or only 1 edge, and some damn clever counting :/

Kacotet
17-08-2012, 22:02
Even the case for UK customers with bandwidth limits before 10Mb/s throttling?

bhanuprasad1981
17-08-2012, 19:20
from when will this bandwidth policy comes into effect ?

oles@ovh.net
14-08-2012, 19:14
Hello

We have more and more customers who have (large) infrastructures at OVH. Customers with 4-10 servers have become customers with 50-200 servers. This despite the fact that since 2007, we have implemented the rather restrictive global bandwidth per customer. The goal was to discourage youtube-like customers to use our services and not to impact our usual customers
that have 1 to 5 servers.

With the arrival of the coherent 100Gbps consistent network and new routers which have large capacities of ports per chassis, we can start to evolve the rules of the global bandwidth to encourage the (large) infrastructures to use our services. Also, we want to propose more guaranteed bandwidth to our existing customers who have 1-5 servers.

We are talking about the bandwidth between your servers and outside our network. The bandwidth within our network is not limited and that includes RBX, P19, SBG, BHS and GRA.
Within our network the limitation is the speed of your server port: 100Mbps, 1Gbps or 10Gbps. It's perfect for backup, for a Web server to communicate with an SQL server, or a web server with a file server. At this level the bandwidth is guaranteed whatever the range and therefore a maximum of server port.

So what is the new SLA on bandwidth?

For SP, we will upgrade the Premium SLA from 200Mbps to 1Gbps per customer. The server is always connected with 100Mbps so it doesn't make any difference to a customer who has only one server. But if you have multiple servers, you can now consume up to 1Gbps of global bandwidth, with no extra charge. So it's different if you have 11 servers or more. Therefore if you want even more guaranteed bandwidth for your 11 servers and more, we can deliver up to 4Gbps of guaranteed bandwidth on SP.

If you have projects that need more than 4Gbps of bandwidth you need to use EG / MG / HG servers because the network design for the SP does not guarantee you more than 4Gbps. We are talking about the bandwidth really usuable and continuously 24/7, not the burst of a few minutes with the QoS that shares the remaining bandwidth. We speak about guarantee to use the port server at the maximum, 24/24 without impacting other customers.

The Infrastructure SLA bandwidth is exclusively for HG servers and ensures 1Gbps of bandwidth per server (!) then 10Gbps per customer (!!). If you you need more,* we can guarantee up to 40Gbps (!!!) per customer. This is a record on the European and US markets.

The infrastructure SLA bandwidth is also proposed for pCC with the ratio of 1Gbps guaranteed per host (whatever the type of host) and10Gbps infrastructure upgradeable to 40Gbps.

If you need more than 40Gbps of really usable bandwidth, OVH is not the right person for this kind of need.

The global limitation of bandwidth is per client, not per DC. If you have an SP server in RBX, 2 in SBG and 3 in BHS, you have 6 SP servers i.e. 1Gbps.

The global limitation of bandwidth is per server type and so if you have 6 SP servers and 4 EG servers, you have 1Gbps for SP servers and 5Gbps for EG servers.

We can summarise these three types of bandwidth as follows:

Premium SLA: 100Mbps guaranteed 100Mbps burst, 1Gbps per customer
- 2Gbps option per customer +990 / month
- 3Gbps option per customer +1990 / month
- 4Gbps option per customer +2990 / month
SLA Business: 300Mbps guaranteed, 1Gbps burst, 5Gbps per customer
- 6Gbps option per customer +990/ month
- 7Gbps option per customer +1990/ month
- 8Gbps option per customer +2990/ month
Infrastructure: 1Gbps guarantee, 1Gbps burst, 10Gbps per customer
- 20Gbps option per customer +9990/ month
- 30Gbps option per customer +19990/ month
- 40Gbps option per customer +29990/ month

OVH can offer you this today because since 2003 we have decided to invest in the fiber optic network in Europe and now in North America too. This is not the case for our competitors who lease capacity and/or manage the network as a cost/profit. As a result: they can not guarantee the quality of the bandwidth to some national destinations or they have costs significantly higher than us. From our research, OVH is the only one in the world market to adopt this strategy. We have therefore now decided to play the global network card thoroughly .. and cheap.

Regards
Octave