OVH Community, your new community space.

SP Mini/Vrack/Proxmox

DigitalDaz
10-10-2012, 13:48
I actually ordered mine by mistake.

That said many of us worked succesfully with proxy arp using proxmox for a good while.

The proxy arp seems to be absolutely fine and all my IPs are working

Mark1978
10-10-2012, 11:36
Yep which is why we are upgrading our SP servers to EG servers - at least when XenServer 6.1 is out.

marks
10-10-2012, 11:21
Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaz
How does the networking work with a 100mbit server in a vrack?

I have a ripe block in there and I assigned the server the first IP in the range.

The server responded on that IP.

One single VM seemed to work whilst the others didn't. It wasn't an IP issue as I could change the IP.
the 100Mbps servers in vrack are very limited in functionality. They can work, but it's almost recommended only for backend servers.

You're right with the RIPE block, and it's exactly how it's meant to be: 100Mbps only support 1 IP to be routed to them, the rest won't work. Switch limitations

For VMs in a vrack => 1Gbps servers

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1978
It was my understanding that Vrack doesn't support 100mbps servers.
limited functionality:
http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/virtual_rack.xml

Additional information
Activating a 100 Mbps server within your virtual rack has resulted in the temporary disabling of your public network server. Monitoring systems, re-installation and netboot are inaccessible as your server is active within your virtual rack. You can restore these services temporarily leaving the virtual server in the rack.

DigitalDaz
10-10-2012, 11:07
It does support the 100mbit ones but you do lose the primary public IP and you lose access to monitoring etc whilst it is in the rack.

Mark1978
10-10-2012, 10:59
It was my understanding that Vrack doesn't support 100mbps servers.

DigitalDaz
10-10-2012, 10:09
Myatu, Felix and any other proxmox/networking gurus:

Here's the deal, I now have Proxmox working in the vrack so this is purely academic but will maybe help others in future.

I have had to switch back to the old days and our old friend proxy arp.

How does the networking work with a 100mbit server in a vrack?

I have a ripe block in there and I assigned the server the first IP in the range.

The server responded on that IP.

For the rest of the VMs in the range I just configured them for the and tried vrack with and without VLAN config.

One single VM seemed to work whilst the others didn't. It wasn't an IP issue as I could change the IP.

I was seeing ARPs coming into and going out of the Proxmox host for for pings to and from non working virtual machines.

I'm guessing its a VLAN tagging issue, one thing I did not try was to change the vmbr0 to a tagged one eg vmbr0.2733 etc

Just reading this post alone makes me wonder why I'm even asking the question

The average user will probably be far better of just using proxy arp.

I suppose the big niggle thats doing my head in is why did ONE single vm work??