OVH Community, your new community space.

New distribution: Arch Linux 2012

Myatu
12-10-2012, 20:31
ArchLinux is nice! You can manage a smaller installation than Debian/Ubuntu with it, so I would see it as a welcome addition on the public cloud as well...

S0phie
11-10-2012, 17:50
Hi,

Since March 2012, when the latest ArchLinux distribution was announced, it has been quite successful - a lot of people decided to test it and many kept it.

Not only our customers (i.e you) were active, but also the team who is in charge of this distribution, with the following new features in ArchLinux:

- Systemd (init system)
- Netcfg (network configuration out of rc.conf, in /etc/conf.d/netcfg)
- grub2
- Updates of packets, libc, init scripts ...

All these added up changes made for the update of the concerned packets at once made a system that is 6 months old unusable.

So here is a new version of this community distribution. Since this is a "rolling release" I do not have a version number that I can communicate nor a new name - So it's "ArchLinux 2012" like last time

For more information about Arch, I recommend the "Unofficial Beginner's Guide ", available at: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide 27_Guide

The new ArchLinux 2012 is available at the reinstallation and when you order a new server.

Do not hesitate to give us your feedback.

OVH Team