OVH Community, your new community space.

Dedicated Server 2013

Thelen
09-11-2012, 03:44
Myatu with the touchdown!

OVH isn't way more expensive than anyone unless you need stupid levels of bandwidth, at which point I'll say, have you actually seen how bad redstations bulk network is?

Myatu
08-11-2012, 23:52
Quote Originally Posted by elcct
And that makes OVH offer way more expensive than for example Redstation

elcct
08-11-2012, 23:34
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
And?
And that makes OVH offer way more expensive than for example Redstation

Shimon
07-11-2012, 17:25
Or launch 10 cloud instances. Is this going to push certain people to the cloud?

Myatu
07-11-2012, 14:59
In OVH if you want to burst up to 1gbit you have to pay additional £100 per 100 mbit.
And?

elcct
07-11-2012, 11:23
Quote Originally Posted by Thelen
Really? Not from their web prices..
In OVH if you want to burst up to 1gbit you have to pay additional £100 per 100 mbit.

Thelen
04-11-2012, 23:53
Not really. If you need over 200mbit of bandwidth, OVH is much more expensive.
Really? Not from their web prices..

Quote Originally Posted by Shimon
From their deals on WHT. Their regular deals are no where near as competitive.
Who cares about specials, you can't build a business on specials... With OVH I can be fairly sure the price will not change over the life of the server, or certainly at least not for a year. That makes it simple to build a business..

Redstation, I have no idea what the price will be in 3 months time, or if I can continue to rent servers at the special price (hint: you can't, that is the point of specials)...

Shimon
03-11-2012, 11:05
Redstation are way more expensive as well. 240GBP for same server speccs.

webnx? where do you see a 64GB server for ~170USD?
From their deals on WHT. Their regular deals are no where near as competitive.

elcct
02-11-2012, 11:28
Not really. If you need over 200mbit of bandwidth, OVH is much more expensive.

Thelen
02-11-2012, 05:57

webnx? where do you see a 64GB server for ~170USD?

elcct
01-11-2012, 13:09
LOL FDC...

They don't come anywhere near OVH pricing, at least not on their public prices. And FDC network is complete ****.

I've not found anyone that comes within 30% of the price of an EG64 for 130euro, happy to be shown otherwise because then I'll use them
Then have a look at redstation for example. EG offer is good if you don't want to push data over 200mbit, otherwise almost any host beats it.

Shimon
01-11-2012, 06:23
Webnx?

Thelen
01-11-2012, 04:48
LOL FDC...

They don't come anywhere near OVH pricing, at least not on their public prices. And FDC network is complete ****.

I've not found anyone that comes within 30% of the price of an EG64 for 130euro, happy to be shown otherwise because then I'll use them

elcct
01-11-2012, 03:16
Yea not any more, that has been made clear now.

I haven't found anywhere else anywhere near as cheap as OVH, if you do, let me know lol.
Most providers have better offers now, check out fdcservers.net for example.

Thelen
31-10-2012, 23:47
As you can see from the latest news, you cannot burst over your limit. I am glad i bought MG few days ago, because new offers are terrible. I hope they will not change bandwidth plans on old servers. Otherwise it is probably time to move elsewhere.
Yea not any more, that has been made clear now.

I haven't found anywhere else anywhere near as cheap as OVH, if you do, let me know lol.

Vmlweb
31-10-2012, 21:33
The website has been updated with the 2013 servers. Wohoo!

elcct
31-10-2012, 19:54
Not going to argue the point any further, but there is more than enough 'source' out there, for example franceservers and their NIC-cheating thread on WHT.

From what I've had from OVH staff, you can burst above that amount, to the full NIC speed, however if the server/NIC average starts to exceed that guaranteed amount, they will either ask for you to upgrade by 100Mbps or whatever, or have the server/NIC moved to the low priority mode.
As you can see from the latest news, you cannot burst over your limit. I am glad i bought MG few days ago, because new offers are terrible. I hope they will not change bandwidth plans on old servers. Otherwise it is probably time to move elsewhere.

Thelen
28-10-2012, 04:19
Not going to argue the point any further, but there is more than enough 'source' out there, for example franceservers and their NIC-cheating thread on WHT.

From what I've had from OVH staff, you can burst above that amount, to the full NIC speed, however if the server/NIC average starts to exceed that guaranteed amount, they will either ask for you to upgrade by 100Mbps or whatever, or have the server/NIC moved to the low priority mode.

Vmlweb
27-10-2012, 15:53
What's the ETA for these servers being available from the ovh.co.uk UK website?

elcct
27-10-2012, 14:03
So i am not sure what to do then... i can afford to pay for bandwidth, but if for example new EG will be capped at 200mbit it will make more sense to stick with old offer.
Basically my website sometimes peaks at 600mbit, but does use about 30TB of bandwidth, so buying guaranteed 600mbit is not a good option, because most of the time it will not be used = waste of money.

_Lemon_
27-10-2012, 13:57
... Its always been the case. It is just that 100/200/300Mbps is the *guaranteed* bandwidth.
This is not good. From what I recall, the last time this was the case (years ago for the UK), the only way they had to enforce this was by moving servers into "low priority" mode.

elcct
27-10-2012, 11:26
... Its always been the case. It is just that 100/200/300Mbps is the *guaranteed* bandwidth.
So you don't have a source. Bandwidth 2013 didn't say anything about bursting.

Thelen
27-10-2012, 04:31

elcct
25-10-2012, 10:52
You can burst above 200Mbit you know...
Source?

Thelen
25-10-2012, 01:44
You can burst above 200Mbit you know...

Anyway, my point still remains that even a single 100Mbit SP should be making you far more money than the cost, even of an MG.

elcct
24-10-2012, 11:33
Two SPs are two servers though, and only 100Mbps each. EG/MG are gbit :P

and yes i realise they could just make them gbit, but that would result in an increase in price..

EG has more bandwidth than SP, and MG has more than EG you know right?
EG has 200mbit and SP has 100mbit, so two SP will have 200mbit if you set up you app cleverly.
If you want to have 300mbit for your EG you pay 100 eur, but if you want another 100mbit for your SP you just buy another SP cheaper with bonus of additional hardware redundancy.
That's also why they did OVH-OVH to be 100mbit, to restrict that type of usage.

If they enable 1gbit for OVH-OVH on SP range, it would be better than EG, MG at any level.

glidewave
24-10-2012, 11:06
True, however, if you run data intensive storage applications or db, and you only get the same 2x2TB, are they better? Especially when you can "cloud" multiple SP's?

Thelen
24-10-2012, 11:00

and yes i realise they could just make them gbit, but that would result in an increase in price..

EG has more bandwidth than SP, and MG has more than EG you know right?

i still don't know what sort of website(s) you want to run on whatever number of SPs, but given how powerful they are if you really can't afford an EG instead of an SP (to get the gbit), then clearly you need a rethink.

glidewave
24-10-2012, 10:53
Otherwise the pricing doesn't make sense, as two SP servers are better than one MG and are cheaper.
Exactly what I thought on that... 2x2TB... get a bunch of them and sync them etc..

elcct
24-10-2012, 10:51
You realise they both turbo to 3.8Ghz right? And that cpu benchmark means very little to what the application you are using performs :P

Anywho.. Limiting them to 100Mbit because people won't buy the EG makes no sense, for one the EG has double the ram. If they were gbit perhaps some people would like the cost saving, but from the perspective of people who'd be reselling them (vps, seedbox, whatever), the EG is better value for money anyway.
I am talking about dedicated server for a website. But even for reselling SP is better value for money now. If you buy two of them, you get more cores, drives and same amount of memory and bandwidth than if you buy EG or MG.

For EG range they should give more bandwidth, bigger drives (SSD) and cpu of MG

For MG range they should give more bandwidth, bigger drives and dual cpu like E5 2620

Otherwise the pricing doesn't make sense, as two SP servers are better than one MG and are cheaper.

glidewave
24-10-2012, 10:46
I think its more an issue of supply and demand. Not only in the HDD's themselves, but people will "dump" their existing server in order to get one with more storage, leaving OVH with heaps of 2TB HDs. If it happens now, because someone wants more RAM or a better CPU, then they don't run into that problem.
Welcome to Dedicated Server hosting business model (as it's been since 1998). Any hosting company that intro's new lines have "dumps", it's the nature of the model, and nothing out of ordinary; and they would have processes in place to recoup a good portion on the deactivation of lines. There's a reason why most companies leave a year or so for big changes to their lines, but downgrading storage (after over a year) is backward. For some time, OVH has been leading on many fronts, RAM, CPU & HD... this is just a step back, especially as db, app, vz sizes grow, and require just as much more HD along with the RAM. (side: I generally keep any box for more than 12-24 months regardless of the offer).

Along with my previous comments on the HG setup fees as purchases of the hardware (you don't own), I refer you to my previous comment(s) about possible truckloads (maybe Stobart's trailers) of Vino being delivered during the discussions when these pricing/offerings are set

J.

Thelen
24-10-2012, 01:49
You realise they both turbo to 3.8Ghz right? And that cpu benchmark means very little to what the application you are using performs :P

Anywho.. Limiting them to 100Mbit because people won't buy the EG makes no sense, for one the EG has double the ram. If they were gbit perhaps some people would like the cost saving, but from the perspective of people who'd be reselling them (vps, seedbox, whatever), the EG is better value for money anyway.

elcct
24-10-2012, 01:31
You can't measure speed based purely on Ghz you realise I hope? The MG CPU blows the SP one out of the water when it comes to actual performance..
Sure you can't, but CPU that is in SP range (E3 1245v2) is newer generation than it is in MG (E5 1650), so faster clock also makes up for 2 cores less.

In cpu benchmark that E3 model scores better than E5:

Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 @ 3.40GHz 9,663
Intel Xeon E5-1650 @ 3.20GHz 9,573

I think for that reason they have limited SP range to 100mbit OVH-OVH because people wouldn't buy EG (EG has also slightly faster CPU than MG) or MG for something other than to proxy content from much better SP. (or use older 1gbit servers to proxy content)

Thelen
24-10-2012, 01:00
You can't measure speed based purely on Ghz you realise I hope? The MG CPU blows the SP one out of the water when it comes to actual performance..

elcct
23-10-2012, 19:27
Virtualisation and speed. I welcome RAM over S/HDD.
Yes, especially when you can host your whole site from RAM (incl. db etc).
I wish MG had dual E5 2620 and / or 128GB RAM. At the moment SP has the fastest CPU, which is funny.

Myatu
23-10-2012, 18:01
Quote Originally Posted by maybars
I really can't understand the obsession on RAM. Sure thing it is strategic product planning however it makes no sense to customers. Although OVH is a world player now, we stuck on 2x drives. Pity...
Virtualisation and speed. I welcome RAM over S/HDD.

maybars
23-10-2012, 17:40
I really can't understand the obsession on RAM. Sure thing it is strategic product planning however it makes no sense to customers. Although OVH is a world player now, we stuck on 2x drives. Pity...

Neil
23-10-2012, 15:53
Quote Originally Posted by ebony
so we pay the same price as the France site now it was always a few £ cheeper.
Those prices aren't confirmed yet for the UK market, once the servers are on the website they will have the correct price.

ebony
23-10-2012, 14:11
Quote Originally Posted by Mark1978
Well the UK prices haven't been announced yet.
yets hope so 9.99 ks going to be great

Mark1978
23-10-2012, 13:52
Well the UK prices haven't been announced yet.

ebony
23-10-2012, 13:49
so we pay the same price as the France site now it was always a few £ cheeper.

elcct
23-10-2012, 10:31
Quote Originally Posted by cm2187
Out of curiosity, anyone aware of some provider offering more than 120gb SSD hosting for less than double OVH's price?
Many providers, for example Hetzner. Ask on webhostingtalk.com

cm2187
23-10-2012, 09:29
Out of curiosity, anyone aware of some provider offering more than 120gb SSD hosting for less than double OVH's price?

turbanator
22-10-2012, 21:16
yeah well this is what we get till next year 2014. so enjoy your old servers :P

Tz-OVH
22-10-2012, 19:28
And the pricing really needs to be better on the SP starter server (SP Mini).

_Lemon_
22-10-2012, 19:16
Quote Originally Posted by glidewave
Windows users are not the only users on the planet. Plus, the 3TB drive line have been in place for over a year (I've got a few). If it is such a pervasive issue, why would 3TB drives be available on the HG line?
It's probably related to the motherboard or something new that has a bug in Windows (which is odd because I thought manufacturers would have tested first and foremost against Windows).

The HG servers haven't changed at all (except for bw).

Myatu
22-10-2012, 19:16
Windows users are not the only users on the planet. Plus, the 3TB drive line have been in place for over a year (I've got a few). If it is such a pervasive issue, why would 3TB drives be available on the HG line?
I think its more an issue of supply and demand. Not only in the HDD's themselves, but people will "dump" their existing server in order to get one with more storage, leaving OVH with heaps of 2TB HDs. If it happens now, because someone wants more RAM or a better CPU, then they don't run into that problem.

glidewave
22-10-2012, 18:52
Quote Originally Posted by _Lemon_
They removed the 3 TB drives from the new line up because of an issue with Windows: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6322

_Lemon_
22-10-2012, 18:47
One step forward, 2 steps back.... HD size (and or entire line) must be an October Fools joke.
They removed the 3 TB drives from the new line up because of an issue with Windows: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6322

_Lemon_
22-10-2012, 18:46
Quote Originally Posted by 3r1c
Now this is confusing, a few weeks ago Octave talk about problem of customers with many servers use alot of bandwidth, and that the "infrastructures" bandwidth system like in France will be coming to the UK and other subsidiaries for 2013 servers.

Now you give all servers with unlimited bandwidth and unlimited per customer in France.
Does this mean OVH has changed its mind and is getting rid of the infrastructure bandwidth system?
They're still doing the "mass infrastructure" approach however it has been tweaked a little bit so that they don't have to spend time chasing down people using multiple NIC handles.

There's no server bandwidth pooling right now though which makes it more expensive.

elcct
22-10-2012, 18:27
To me new offer looks quite disappointing.

CPUs are almost the same in terms of performance across SP/EG/MG ranges.
EG should have CPU of MG and MG should have dual E5 like 2620

120GB SSD drives seems to be a bit small - they are fine for Hybrid model, but SSD models should start with 240GB

I was looking forward to see new offer, because i need to upgrade my server to let my website grow and now i see competitors have much better offers.

Not sure if i stay with OVH...

glidewave
22-10-2012, 18:26
One step forward, 2 steps back.... HD size (and or entire line) must be an October Fools joke.

There's not any option of upgrading a current 2x3TB box unless you go to the ridiculously priced HG line (ie buying the additional memory/drives as a initial setup fee).

3r1c
22-10-2012, 18:24
Now this is confusing, a few weeks ago Octave talk about problem of customers with many servers use alot of bandwidth, and that the "infrastructures" bandwidth system like in France will be coming to the UK and other subsidiaries for 2013 servers.

Now you give all servers with unlimited bandwidth and unlimited per customer in France.
Does this mean OVH has changed its mind and is getting rid of the infrastructure bandwidth system?

_Lemon_
22-10-2012, 18:12
Hello,

We gave the taste of the tender dedicated servers, taking into account the bandwidth 2013.

The SP 2013 is controllable in 3 DCs in OVH RBX: (Roubaix, FR), SBG (Strasbourg, FR) and BHS (Beauharnois, QC) and available in a few minutes (except where deliveries this week can still take a few hours .. the any time set in all plants).

As follows:
------

SP
--

SP is a 16G i5 (4 cores / 4 threads) to 3.1GHz with Turbo Boost to 3.4GHz. It has 16G of RAM and 2 2TB disks. 100Mbps with the guarantee server costing 49.99E/month.

SP is a Xeon E3 32G (4 cores / 8 threads) to 3.4GHz with Turbo Boost to 3.8GHz. It has 32GB RAM and 2 drives or 2TB SATA3 is in 120GB SSD. 100Mbps with the guarantee 69.99E/month server costs.

EG
--

EG 64G is a Xeon E5 (4 cores / 8 threads) to 3.6GHz with Turbo Boost to 3.8GHz. He 64G RAM and 2 drives or 2TB SATA3 is in 120GB SSD. With a guaranteed 200Mbps 1Gbps network lossless, it costs 129.99E/month.

EG 64G is a Xeon E5 Hydrid (4 cores / 8 threads) to 3.6GHz with Turbo Boost to 3.8GHz. He 64G RAM and 4 disks: 2 disks of 2TB SATA3 and in 2 disks 120GB SSD. 200Mbps with warranty on a 1Gbps network lossless, it costs 139.99E/month.

EG 64G SSD Max is a Xeon E5 (4 cores / 8 threads) to 3.6GHz with Turbo Boost to 3.8GHz. He 64G RAM and two 300GB SSD drives. With 200Mbps guarantee on a 1Gbps network lossless, it costs 169.99E/month.

MG
--

MG 64G is a Xeon E5 (6 cores / 12 threads) to 3.2GHz with Turbo Boost to 3.8GHz. He 64G RAM and 2 drives or 2TB SATA3 is in 120GB SSD. With a guaranteed 200Mbps 1Gbps network lossless, it costs 149.99E/month.

MG is a 64G Hydrid Xeon E5 (6 cores / 12 threads) to 3.2GHz with Turbo Boost to 3.8GHz. He 64G RAM and 4 disks: 2 disks of 2TB SATA3 and in 2 disks 120GB SSD. 200Mbps with warranty on a 1Gbps network lossless, it costs 159.99E/month.

MG 64G SSD Max is a Xeon E5 (4 cores / 8 threads) to 3.2GHz with Turbo Boost to 3.8GHz. He 64G RAM and two 300GB SSD drives. With 200Mbps guarantee on a 1Gbps network lossless, it costs 19.99E/month.

HG
--

HG 2012 platform does not change as we for several months already offer the Intel E5 with 8 to 12 cores (16 to 24 threads). With 300Mbps guarantee a lossless 10Gbps network, it costs from 299.99E/month.

The bandwidth is guaranteed SP, EG, MG, HG and upgradeable EG / MG to 1Gbps per server HG on to 3Gbps per server.

In terms of IPv4, each range has its limits
- SP 1 32 3 IPv4
- EG / MG 1 128 3 IPv4
- HG 1 256 3 IPv4

An IPv4 cost 1E/month

Learn more: http://www.ovh.com/fr/serveurs_dedies

Complete the professional and the infrastructure. SP 2013.

Regards
Octave

oles@ovh.net
22-10-2012, 18:02
Hello,

We gave the taste of the dedicated server packages, taking into account the bandwidth 2013.

The SP 2013 is operable in 3 DCs in OVH RBX: (Roubaix, FR), SBG (Strasbourg, FR) and BHS (Beauharnois, QC) and available in a few
minutes (except where deliveries this week can still take a few hours)..

So:
------

SP
--

SP is a 16G i5 (4 cores / 4 threads) to 3.1GHz
with Turbo Boost to 3.4GHz. It has 16G of RAM
and 2 2TB disks. 100Mbps with the guarantee
server costing £49.99/month

SP is a Xeon E3 32G (4 cores / 8 threads) to
3.4GHz with Turbo Boost to 3.8GHz. It has 32GB
RAM and 2 drives or 2TB SATA3 is in
120GB SSD. 100Mbps with the guarantee
£69.99/month

EG
--

EG 64G is a Xeon E5 (4 cores / 8 threads) to
3.6GHz with Turbo Boost to 3.8GHz. 64G
RAM and 2 drives 2TB SATA3
With a guaranteed 200Mbps
1Gbps network lossless, it costs £129.99/month

EG 64G is a Xeon E5 Hydrid (4 cores / 8 threads)
to 3.6GHz with Turbo Boost to 3.8GHz. 64G
RAM and 4 disks: 2 disks of 2TB SATA3 and
2 disks 120GB SSD. 200Mbps with guaranteed
on a 1Gbps network lossless, it costs £139.99/month

EG 64G SSD Max is a Xeon E5 (4 cores / 8 threads)
to 3.6GHz with Turbo Boost to 3.8GHz. 64G
RAM and two 300GB SSD drives. with 200Mbps
guarantee on a 1Gbps network lossless, it costs
£169.99/month

MG
--

MG 64G is a Xeon E5 (6 cores / 12 threads) to
3.2GHz with Turbo Boost to 3.8GHz. 64G
RAM and 2 drives or 2TB SATA3 is in
120GB SSD. With a guaranteed 200Mbps
1Gbps network lossless, it costs £149.99/month

MG is a 64G Hydrid Xeon E5 (6 cores / 12 threads)
to 3.2GHz with Turbo Boost to 3.8GHz. 64G
RAM and 4 disks: 2 disks of 2TB SATA3 and in
2 disks 120GB SSD. 200Mbps with warranty
on a 1Gbps network lossless, it costs £159.99/month

MG 64G SSD Max is a Xeon E5 (4 cores / 8 threads)
to 3.2GHz with Turbo Boost to 3.8GHz. He 64G
RAM and two 300GB SSD drives. with 200Mbps
guarantee on a 1Gbps network lossless, it costs
£199.99/month

HG
--

HG 2012 platform does not change as we
for several months already offer the Intel
E5 with 8 to 12 cores (16 to 24 threads). with 300Mbps
guarantee a lossless 10Gbps network, it costs
from £299.99/month.

The bandwidth is guaranteed SP, EG, MG, HG
and upgradeable EG / MG to 1Gbps per server
HG on to 3Gbps per server.

In terms of IPv4, each range has its limits
- SP 1+3+32 IPv4
- EG/MG 1+3+128 IPv4
- HG 1+3+256 IPv4

An IPv4 cost £1/month

Learn more:
http://www.ovh.co.uk

Complete the professional and the infrastructure.

Regards
Octave