OVH Community, your new community space.

Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machines Question

marks
29-10-2012, 10:52
it seems that Win2012Std allows for 2 Win2012Std to run in it, using the same license.

I'm not entirely sure how the Hyper-V checks this. or if it's done through the SPLA license, but eventually, if the new server you want to move the VPS to runs Win2012Std aswell, that will have 2 VPS allowance aswell.

So, in principle, it seems that you would be able to do so.

Maybe someone else have more information about this.

cm2187
23-10-2012, 12:03
I am considering using a dedicated server under Windows Server 2012 Standard with a single WS2012 VPS inside. The idea is really that if I need to move the server to another machine (technical problem on the machine, changing hardware configuration, or even changing provider) I can do it in two clicks by just transfering the disk image (I presume it will also make backups trivial - I just backup the image file).

I never tried this and I have a few questions regarding licenses.

The french website says I can use 2 virtual machines if I register my SPLA license (See link)

Does that mean that I need to buy a license for the virtual machine (and can I use a standalone license or does it have to be an SPLA license) or that I can use the license that was assigned to me by OVH on the dedicated machine.

Can I move the virtual machine to a non OVH dedicated server? I presume that the WS2012 license will not allow me to run on a WS2012 Standard with a different license (and OVH will withdraw the license when I return the server). Am I at risk of having my virtual machine "prisonner" of OVH or can I change the license on the virtual machine, which obviously implies that for a short period the virtual machine will run with a difference license than the machine?

Also in your experience is having this virtual machine a good idea in the first place? (in term of performance + convenience costs to benefits)

thanks in advance for your help
Best regards
Charles