We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Dedicated Server and Kimsufi 2013

Kode
08-11-2012, 15:37
well the new SP 32G is vastly superior to the SP SSD I'm on at the moment yet costs about 7/mo less, I have to wait until December till the server is up for renewal but I will definitely be moving to the SP 32G but dreading the switch over.

macole111
08-11-2012, 14:46
The main thing you have to remember is that ovh don't pass on price rises too, so you know the price will be the same for the life of the server.

With inflation prices are more likely to rise than to go down, and it is only 1a month or something.

macole111

martzuk
08-11-2012, 12:34
Quote Originally Posted by Kode
I think he means there isn't a way to easily move everything to a new server, you would have to buy a new server first before the other one expired, than transfer all the data across, do any configuration you have on your old server and try and set it up the same. Then you would have to update the name servers to point to the new server.
That's exactly what I was saying! I know it's only a small amount, but paying more for something that a new customer can get for less is frustrating, existing customers should be able to take advantage of the lower price, OVH will start losing customers if it charges more to existing loyal customers than new customers that might not even stay for long.

Kode
06-11-2012, 12:14
Quote Originally Posted by Thelen
Transfer what?
I think he means there isn't a way to easily move everything to a new server, you would have to buy a new server first before the other one expired, than transfer all the data across, do any configuration you have on your old server and try and set it up the same. Then you would have to update the name servers to point to the new server.

Thelen
06-11-2012, 11:46
Quote Originally Posted by martzuk
That's a bit crap, considering you can't just transfer everything to a new server!
Transfer what?

martzuk
05-11-2012, 12:42
Pff, only for the 100Mbit, as soon as you want >100Mbit OVH is far cheaper. Not to mention far more bandwidth. 100Mbit vs 10TB...

It does cost them. More switches, more complicated routing, more dark fiber links between their DCs... Sure it costs them a lot less than transit, but still costs them..

Well obviously it is a problem, otherwise they'd be doing it? No company is perfect, but the guys at OVH are far smarter than you, so if they say there is a problem, I believe them not you (not insofar as I know why they have the problem, and they really can't do much to fix it. Learn about BGP tables and how much ram you need to hold one..).

Do you see anyone else selling dedicated servers for 10 pounds?

Where does it say they are paying for free internal traffic? That might be a positive bonus, but it isn't what people are buying.

What do you mean it isn't a regular thing, there are very few companies out there that do free internal traffic to your own servers let alone the whole companies IP ranges. And especially not at OVH pricing..

You really have no clue how much of a bargain OVH is, you are just complaining because you have to pay slightly more than bargain basement pricing.

No you need to sign up for the new server if you want the price reduction.
That's a bit crap, considering you can't just transfer everything to a new server!

Kode
05-11-2012, 10:16
Pff, only for the 100Mbit, as soon as you want >100Mbit OVH is far cheaper. Not to mention far more bandwidth. 100Mbit vs 10TB...
Don't get me wrong, I completely agree, over 100Mbit OVH are probably the better deal, but I only need 100Mbit, I'm thinking the best option might be to get a server from each, so all my eggs aren't in one basket

Thelen
05-11-2012, 00:39
Hertzner are fairly close price wise:

Quote Originally Posted by maybars
That is the problem I guess. All these changes make sense only to you, not anyone else. I put the argument of "does not cost at all" with solid reasons but you just said "Internal traffic *does* cost them".
It does cost them. More switches, more complicated routing, more dark fiber links between their DCs... Sure it costs them a lot less than transit, but still costs them..

"The counter is not working properly." This is the funniest thing I have ever heard. How a professional and worldwide IT company would say that? There are other ways to monitor the flow of network and I don't think that would be problem for OVH.
Well obviously it is a problem, otherwise they'd be doing it? No company is perfect, but the guys at OVH are far smarter than you, so if they say there is a problem, I believe them not you (not insofar as I know why they have the problem, and they really can't do much to fix it. Learn about BGP tables and how much ram you need to hold one..).

This is only one strategy why you can buy servers less than 10 pounds?
Do you see anyone else selling dedicated servers for 10 pounds?
Besides, first of all you have understand this. No one is giving servers for free. People would like to question applications on services THAT THEY PAID FOR if they don't make sense. (Making local traffic count towards overall bandwidth limit is not a regular thing in IT business and it has never been!)
Where does it say they are paying for free internal traffic? That might be a positive bonus, but it isn't what people are buying.

What do you mean it isn't a regular thing, there are very few companies out there that do free internal traffic to your own servers let alone the whole companies IP ranges. And especially not at OVH pricing..

You really have no clue how much of a bargain OVH is, you are just complaining because you have to pay slightly more than bargain basement pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by martzuk
Will existing customers give the approx 1 per month reduction in price?
No you need to sign up for the new server if you want the price reduction.

martzuk
04-11-2012, 21:18
Will existing customers give the approx 1 per month reduction in price?

Andy
03-11-2012, 17:42
It does so far as we can tell.

Phixion
03-11-2012, 14:39
So, does internal traffic count towards the 5TB limit per month, or not?

Abdurrahman
02-11-2012, 17:26
The most accurate page we have is the following:

http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_serve...cated_list.xml

These are most representative of the stock in at the moment, we'll look into the other pages.

pcoventry
02-11-2012, 17:19
Quote Originally Posted by Mark1978
The 1 hour is the time it takes to respond to an SSH login request
haha well this one is taking 17 hour so far. It's probably as rubbish as the last one but I wanted to see. I hope I will!

Mark1978
02-11-2012, 16:00
The 1 hour is the time it takes to respond to an SSH login request

pcoventry
02-11-2012, 14:54
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
For Kimsufi only outbound is counted but sending data to another OVH/Kimsufi server is counted towards the usage.

So constant downloading is not included only upload?

I thought it was odd that all servers now seem to be 5tb

I ordered a mini 2g last night still waiting to get access to it. I this 1 hour availability is wrong? I

maybars
02-11-2012, 14:49
Makes perfect sense to me. Internal traffic *does* cost them. Plus as eric says, the counter doesn't work properly and since kimsufi servers have a TB limit, that is also why.

OVH doesn't have that problem because they don't need to count, they only need to limit speed on the edge routers.

Honestly this is just a complaint about the 'free ride' starting to become less free. OVHs offers are still leagues ahead of anyone else out there. I mean bloody hell, who else sells a dedicated server for less than 10 pounds!?!
That is the problem I guess. All these changes make sense only to you, not anyone else. I put the argument of "does not cost at all" with solid reasons but you just said "Internal traffic *does* cost them".

"The counter is not working properly." This is the funniest thing I have ever heard. How a professional and worldwide IT company would say that? There are other ways to monitor the flow of network and I don't think that would be problem for OVH.

As I can see you are handling the issue with only prices. There are lots of strategies to manage expenses especially in IT. If I would like to answer your "bloody hell" question; I only prefer OVH because of the automated structure of server management. I do not require software management which also OVH already does not offer with these prices. This is only one strategy why you can buy servers less than 10 pounds?

Besides, first of all you have understand this. No one is giving servers for free. People would like to question applications on services THAT THEY PAID FOR if they don't make sense. (Making local traffic count towards overall bandwidth limit is not a regular thing in IT business and it has never been!)

Kode
02-11-2012, 09:09
And yea its a difference, but guess what, even .uk prices are still 30%+ less than any other provider... So perhaps don't look at it that way :P
Hertzner are fairly close price wise:

http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/pro...ootserver/ex6s

vs

http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/sp_32g.xml

after the first year the hertzner one would be cheaper because 120 of that total is a set up fee.

Thelen
02-11-2012, 06:53
Quote Originally Posted by elcct
If product is slightly different, then still they cannot refuse to sell it based on country you are from.

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/ecc/co...ervices_en.htm
Well fine, make a complaint and get them shut down. Then you can happily go to another company that doesn't 'discriminate' and pay at least 30% more.

Sorry but this doesn't make sense at all. How "internal traffic" can be abusive thing? It is totally local traffic which does not cost at all (except the equipment expenses which is also should not be a big issue to company like OVH)

Internal traffic should not be counted towards overall traffic limit.
Makes perfect sense to me. Internal traffic *does* cost them. Plus as eric says, the counter doesn't work properly and since kimsufi servers have a TB limit, that is also why.

OVH doesn't have that problem because they don't need to count, they only need to limit speed on the edge routers.

Honestly this is just a complaint about the 'free ride' starting to become less free. OVHs offers are still leagues ahead of anyone else out there. I mean bloody hell, who else sells a dedicated server for less than 10 pounds!?!

So uk customers can't order from .com?

That's quite a difference.
Well you can try, just have to be clever about it.

And yea its a difference, but guess what, even .uk prices are still 30%+ less than any other provider... So perhaps don't look at it that way :P

Kode
01-11-2012, 18:00
If product is slightly different, then still they cannot refuse to sell it based on country you are from.

So uk customers can't order from .com?

That's a pain, because you are right, I am looking at ordering an SP 32G and an SP 16G, and paying for a year.

If I could get that from .com it would cost (based on xe.com numbers so the actual numbers might be a bit different):

69.99+49.99*12 = E1439.76 = 1,154.62 + 20% = 1385.54

from .co.uk:

59.99+44.99*12 = 1259.76 + 20% = 1511.71

That's quite a difference.

3r1c
01-11-2012, 15:51
If you read oles past posts, the reason they now count internal traffic is because they could never get their bandwidth counter to work right, it always over/under counted traffic.

maybars
01-11-2012, 13:56
Yea but before lots of people were massively abusing OVH network by using lots of internal traffic. Now they are being made to pay for that.
Sorry but this doesn't make sense at all. How "internal traffic" can be abusive thing? It is totally local traffic which does not cost at all (except the equipment expenses which is also should not be a big issue to company like OVH)

Internal traffic should not be counted towards overall traffic limit.

elcct
01-11-2012, 12:42
All they have to do is make the product slightly different, then it isn't discrimination at all :P

Anyway, I'd argue it is a legal/taxation issue not a location issue, and I'd think OVH know this as well otherwise they wouldn't do it :P

You must not be charged a higher price for a product or service just because you live in another EU country.

You must not be refused a service (e.g. DVD rental or a holiday booking) simply because you live in a different EU country.

alex
01-11-2012, 09:53
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
You always had to pay the Professional fee if you wanted to use a RIPE block. And with RIPE now having run out of IPv4 blocks, IP allocations become a premium - not just at OVH. I'm surprised OVH held out from charging 1 per IP for this long, as most others have for years already.
Now I can find better provider even pay more for hardware (better hw, example: 8 Cores/8 Threads 3.5Ghz & 20TB Monthly Transfer) but cheaper IP addresses. The IP addresses are premium at OVH only.

Thelen
01-11-2012, 05:44
All they have to do is make the product slightly different, then it isn't discrimination at all :P

Anyway, I'd argue it is a legal/taxation issue not a location issue, and I'd think OVH know this as well otherwise they wouldn't do it :P

elcct
01-11-2012, 04:20
Isn't against any law, and the price difference is hardly that much.

Go to steam sometime and see how much of a price difference you can be hit with.. Sometimes 90% lol depending on region/country.

Yea well the price you pay for prices being far cheaper than anywhere else :P
It is, because i cannot buy a server at ovh.com about 10 cheaper. It is discrimination based on where you live within EU and it is forbidden.

Steam is not EU company.

Thelen
01-11-2012, 00:44
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
We are paying for it if we upgrade our outgoing bandwidth for 100Mbps for 100 a month if I'm not mistaken.

Wait now I'm confused, does it or does it not apply to the new 2013 servers? And does it or does it not apply to servers before that?
Yea but before lots of people were massively abusing OVH network by using lots of internal traffic. Now they are being made to pay for that.

Seems to me it doesn't apply to new 2013 OVH servers, but it does to 2013 KIMSUFI. And doesn't apply to old servers (ovh or kimsufi).

I think that kind of practice is against EU law.

edit:

they should either give fair exchange rate in .uk subsidiary or allow uk customers to buy at ovh.com in euro.
Isn't against any law, and the price difference is hardly that much.

Go to steam sometime and see how much of a price difference you can be hit with.. Sometimes 90% lol depending on region/country.

I don't blame you for overlooking, there's so much "hidden" stuff here it's stupid.
Yea well the price you pay for prices being far cheaper than anywhere else :P

Andy
01-11-2012, 00:09
I don't blame you for overlooking, there's so much "hidden" stuff here it's stupid.

Myatu
01-11-2012, 00:08
Kimsufi is guaranteed but also has a TB limit before being restricted to 10Mbps just as before.
My bad

Andy
01-11-2012, 00:00
If you do more than 14TB a month it would be, yes. An SP Mini works out cheaper in that case. But you'd have to do 43Mbps average 24/7 - Kimsufi's aren't guaranteed that speed, only on a best effort.
Kimsufi is guaranteed but also has a TB limit before being restricted to 10Mbps just as before. 100Mbps is guaranteed. It says so here: http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_serve....xml#bandwidth

SLA Best Effort
The server is connected at 100Mbps. The bandwidth is 100Mbps guaranteed up to 5TB of monthly traffic. Beyond 5TB of monthly traffic, the bandwidth is 10Mbps guaranteed.

elcct
31-10-2012, 23:54
10 more on EG than in ovh.com is outrageous.
I can understand +/- 1 difference in price due to exchange rate, but 10 is not acceptable.

via Google.com:

EG 129.99 euros = 104.4740 British pounds sterling

EG at ovh.co.uk = 114.99

I think that kind of practice is against EU law.

edit:

they should either give fair exchange rate in .uk subsidiary or allow uk customers to buy at ovh.com in euro.

_Lemon_
31-10-2012, 23:40
Prices are higher in the UK because we slap 20% VAT on top.
Except that both .com and .co.uk do not show the VAT until you go to order. Compare:

EG 24G, 99.99 comes to around 124 Euros whereas it goes for 109.99 EUR on the other subsidiaries. That's 12% more expensive.

Then extra bandwidth is 100 per 100 Mbps, or 124 EUR per 100 Mbps. A 24% increase from other subsidiaries.

Myatu
31-10-2012, 23:32
Quote Originally Posted by Tz-OVH
I'm moving away from PRO to Kimsufi myself, so for me its not a statistic...its a worry!

The recent rise in SP Mini is forcing me to downscale my server.
If you do more than 14TB a month it would be, yes. An SP Mini works out cheaper in that case. But you'd have to do 43Mbps average 24/7 - Kimsufi's aren't guaranteed that speed, only on a best effort.

Quote Originally Posted by alex
Why do I need to pay extra 15 for professional use if I pay for new IP addresses per month? It sounds to me a waste money and the ovh became a sucks company to host servers
You always had to pay the Professional fee if you wanted to use a RIPE block. And with RIPE now having run out of IPv4 blocks, IP allocations become a premium - not just at OVH. I'm surprised OVH held out from charging 1 per IP for this long, as most others have for years already.

Andy
31-10-2012, 23:25
Prices are higher in the UK because we slap 20% VAT on top.

alex
31-10-2012, 23:01
Why do I need to pay extra 15 for professional use if I pay for new IP addresses per month? It sounds to me a waste money and the ovh became a sucks company to host servers

Tz-OVH
31-10-2012, 22:37
Eh? You're not paying for internal bandwidth. It simply gets counted towards your usage, which from now on, is just a statistic rather than billable (exception being the Kimsufi). If you pay for additional 100Mbps, it simply means that usage counter can be higher, that's all.
I'm moving away from PRO to Kimsufi myself, so for me its not a statistic...its a worry!

The recent rise in SP Mini is forcing me to downscale my server.

elcct
31-10-2012, 20:52
Quote Originally Posted by _Lemon_
Any particular reason why the UK prices are 10-20% higher?
Maybe because UK

_Lemon_
31-10-2012, 20:38
Any particular reason why the UK prices are 10-20% higher?

Myatu
31-10-2012, 19:51
That's a bit stupid... Why should we pay for internal bandwidth that costs you nothing?
Eh? You're not paying for internal bandwidth. It simply gets counted towards your usage, which from now on, is just a statistic rather than billable (exception being the Kimsufi). If you pay for additional 100Mbps, it simply means that usage counter can be higher, that's all.

Andy
31-10-2012, 19:15
We are paying for it if we upgrade our outgoing bandwidth for 100Mbps for 100 a month if I'm not mistaken.

Also this does not affect the new OVH Servers or older servers as well.
Wait now I'm confused, does it or does it not apply to the new 2013 servers? And does it or does it not apply to servers before that?

Neil
31-10-2012, 19:01
That's a bit stupid... Why should we pay for internal bandwidth that costs you nothing?
You do not pay for it directly, it just counts towards your usage now. Its simpler now since the counter in the manager will now reflect all traffic now.

Also this does not affect the new OVH Servers or older servers as well.

macole111
31-10-2012, 18:56
+1 to Andy.

Are you still honoring the bandwidth limits for older servers? We have a backup 2G that uses lots of internal bandwidth between OVH servers.

-macole111

Andy
31-10-2012, 18:51

Neil
31-10-2012, 18:44
Quote Originally Posted by RikT
Is the bandwidth policy same as before with OVH -> OVH free and internet -> OVH free or is that b/w total in/out?
For Kimsufi only outbound is counted but sending data to another OVH/Kimsufi server is counted towards the usage.

RikT
31-10-2012, 18:40
Is the bandwidth policy same as before with OVH -> OVH free and internet -> OVH free or is that b/w total in/out?

oles@ovh.net
31-10-2012, 18:04
Hello all,

We have the pleasure to announce the new offers 2013 for the dedicated server and kimsufi.

http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/

All Kimsufi' websites are now redirected to OVH.* and we propose now the dedicated servers from 8.99 on OVH.*

All offers in all countries are now the same, even in France.

There is no more "limit of the bandwidth per customer". All limits are "per server".

Kimsufi are connected to the network with 100Mbps and are limited to 5TB. Then the port is limited to 10Mbps. If you need
100Mbps again you need to buy TB (3.99/TB) or wait end of the month.

SP 2013 are connected to the network with 100Mbps and aren't limited. You can use 100Mbps 24 hours per day, 30 days per month.
The bandwidth is guaranteed and included in the price.

EG 2013 and MG 2013 are connected to the network with 1Gbps and are limited to 200Mbps guaranteed. If you need more, you can buy more guaranteed bandwidth (+100Mbps=+100/month). Maximum is 1Gbps per server.

HG 2013 are connected to the network with 10Gbps and are limited to 300Mbps guaranteed. If you need more, you can buy more guaranteed
bandwith (+100Mbps=+100/month). Maximum is 3Gbps per server.

We don't propose "best effort" or "no guaranteed bandwidth". It means there is no burst to 1Gbps or to 10Gbps. We propose "TB server" only the
cheap servers like Kimsufi connected on 100Mbps. Our market is the guaranteed bandwidth with the heavy used network.

Have fun

PS. We are working now on the VPS 2013.

Regards,
Octave