OVH Community, your new community space.

Has bandwidth costs really increased that much?

pcoventry
06-11-2012, 00:18
Quote Originally Posted by marks
yes, that's correct. Being a big host provider, our network delivers lots of content to the Internet, so our biggest bandwidth direction is OVH to Internet.

Upload to the servers (Internet to OVH) is definitely not as big as the opposite direction. That's why we don't count that traffic.
Thanks Mark, so inbound is no limit. I'll be lucky to use 500GB upload to be fair although it's some streaming

marks
05-11-2012, 12:17
Quote Originally Posted by pcoventry
Thanks all.
I think I read it right that there i no limit for inbound traffic, is that correct?
yes, that's correct. Being a big host provider, our network delivers lots of content to the Internet, so our biggest bandwidth direction is OVH to Internet.

Upload to the servers (Internet to OVH) is definitely not as big as the opposite direction. That's why we don't count that traffic.

Thelen
05-11-2012, 00:55
Yea its been given away very cheaply for a number of years now, and is still extremely cheap for the majority of servers.

pcoventry
04-11-2012, 19:07
Thanks all.

I think I read it right that there i no limit for inbound traffic, is that correct?

I use my 5TB for basically uploading (not torrents) as I have 100mbps at home but only 10 up so I use this for my daily things, For an extra £8,99 a month it's worth it.

This time I have a decent server so I am happy.

Id not exceed more than 5TB upload anyway in a month. So I guess it does not affect me - was just shock I guess

I have a VPS on an OVH windows server too - it has a 1Gbps link and theres no limit so I know what you mean.

DigitalDaz
04-11-2012, 12:45
Maybe its part of a long overdue shift in policy by OVH.

For some users, myself included, the price of traffic is irrelevant, its the quality of the traffic.

I'd actually like them to do different levels of priority and priced accordingly.

If the Pirate Bay is the biggest source of pirated warez in Europe then I just wonder how much of the traffic is actually carried over the OVH network.

cartwright118
04-11-2012, 11:17
You may find this interesting in regards to bandwidth pricing. Rise from 89p to £3.99.

Post by oles.

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6273

Christian

Shimon
04-11-2012, 05:21
They calculate that many servers don't actually use 5TB. And 5TB is only for Kimsufi. The regular servers are unlimited. So really it is a gimmick to get you to go with the OVH brand instead of Kimsufi. They have actually made bandwidth cheaper for many people.

pcoventry
03-11-2012, 14:59
Or have you just been giving it away cheaply since you started? I notice all servers now have 5TB a month and I also noticed this is outbound only? I have always known that upload is the one that costs providers money

1TB used to be 89p now it's £3,99!

Really!? so with the £8,99 servers your actually giving away £24 worth of Bandwidth too.