OVH Community, your new community space.

Deleted vMAC from Dedicated Server Resulted in Loss of All Connectivity to the Server

raxxeh
24-11-2012, 07:37
Add another strike against this new vmac system. Just lost complete access to my server when removing a vmac.

I was in the middle of a cpanel installation on an openvz container though - one I have just setup with its ip passthrough on proxmox, so i'll update this post if it was a configuration erorr on my side.

edit: forced hw reboot of server (cpanel installation was only 30 seconds in) and all came back up. Working fine with no changes on my end now.

aozm48
09-11-2012, 17:53
thanks for the response here, and when we spoke on the phone Marc, your help was appreciated

marks
09-11-2012, 17:35
we've checked the issue: there was a network connector in the switch that had to be replaced.

The problem was kick-started by the vMAC removal, which is quite unusual. Then, an engineer was dispatched to fix the problem, and unfortunately, it was not fixed within Level 1 SLA, hence compensation had to be issued.

why the tech didn't actually read the ticket before doing any work on the server
unfortunately, to comply with the Level 1 SLA (1 hour intervention, 4 hours reparation), the engineers cannot read the tickets. They have already tools that allow them to do the job, and it cannot depend on the information posted by the customer.

Information in tickets would be useful for other incidents, but when the server stops pinging, there is no need for more information.

hope it helps to understand the issue

cartwright118
08-11-2012, 07:59
Quote Originally Posted by aozm48
why the tech didn't actually read the ticket before doing any work on the server
They never do...

Oh and the system that issues the vMACS isn't that great, on 3 occasions I've had issues with setting vMACS and it's required me to wait a few hours for it to get fixed or wait for support to resolve it. My advice is only change te vMAC when you really need to.

Christian

aozm48
08-11-2012, 00:09
finally, the other IP addresses are responding, however despite my requests in the intervention, no reason was given for the total loss of service beyond the 2 words "network connector", methinks I will be calling OVH's London office tomorrow to get a more detailed explanation, along with information on why the tech didn't actually read the ticket before doing any work on the server

aozm48
07-11-2012, 23:48
now the main server Ip address has been restored, but none of the failover IPs, or RIPE IPs on this server are accessible, and i'm still waiting on their response to this issue now.

pcoventry
07-11-2012, 23:38
Tell them you haven't had your plonker pulled enough today and to tug it some more

aozm48
07-11-2012, 23:02
great, now OVH support are claiming that by SHEER coincidence an incoming attack on another IP address on that server at the same time that the virtual MAC deletion went through on the managerv3. I find this begging coincidence beyond belief, and am now trying to get them to lift the suspension on the host server's IP address so I can get connection restored.

aozm48
07-11-2012, 21:44
Just deleted a single vMAC from the ovh manager, so I can tidy up the IP address assignments before the IP pricing change, and after the operation completes all IPs on this server, including the main server IP address are unreachable. Have logged a ticket with support, however currently neither the main server IP assigned to the VMware host, or the IP addresses assigned to the VM guests are accessible.
Any suggestions, beyond waiting on OVH support techs?