OVH Community, your new community space.

Which is the best data centre to choose?

Kode
11-11-2012, 12:38
yes indeed, I was dreading setting it up, but then I noticed something in Plesk called Migration manager, looked it up, and it seems to have made light work of it Just waiting for DNS to propagate now.

aozm48
11-11-2012, 10:46
the times on the site for server availability do seem very flexible, could be someone else returned a server of the model you needed, or one was ready for commisioning, but not on the website yet.
Glad to hear you are ok, now comes the fun part of getting the server ready from your perspective

Kode
11-11-2012, 09:57
Woke up this morning and the server I ordered in RBX was ready

Kode
10-11-2012, 22:51
Ok, thanks for your help

aozm48
10-11-2012, 22:20
If it were me, I would still consider using one of the established DCs in Europe, especially for a site like yours with a regular user base who expect to be able to get to your site 24/7. Anything you can do to minimize downtime, like choosing a DC with more experienced engineers, while taking slightly longer to provision, will still work out better in the long run. My opinion would be to use RBX, as these are the longest running DCs for OVH, and the engineers there would have the most experience in handling issues.

Kode
10-11-2012, 22:17
I don't need Professional Use and only need 1 IP address, there's pretty much just 1 site running off the server.

alex
10-11-2012, 22:07
North America (BHS) 1H
the above DC is not ready, as you will not get more than 3 IP addresses

aozm48
10-11-2012, 22:04
iirc Professional Use isn't available at Beauharnois yet, so if you need pro use with the additional IPs, you'd have to choose RBX or SBG datacentres.
BHS is a relatively new DC, so the engineers there don't necessarily, although this is just a guess, have as much experience as the RBX engineers.
If this isn't an issue, and over 1/2 your traffic is from the US, then BHS would be a logical choice, reduced network latency for the bulk of your users, and perceived better service.

Kode
10-11-2012, 21:50
Also, if it has any bearing, probably 50-60% of our traffic is from the US.

Kode
10-11-2012, 21:42
At this point in time, what is the best data centre to go with?

The server we are looking at has the current availability:

Western Europe (RBX) 72H
Central Europe (SBG) 24H
North America (BHS) 1H

I'd like to get it set up as soon as possible because apache on our current one keeps crashing, but if RBX was the best I'd rather wait the 3 days.