OVH Community, your new community space.

KS vs OVH 2013 duality

avizeke
17-11-2012, 12:53
advise from ovh staff vearing me to OVH is quite condiesending. More ironic, if i need apro server i will go to OVH, however i didnt at that time when 2012 range was out and doing good.
I dont mind KS not providing

seedboxes just to be clear only require small core usage low ram and lots of storage ! 2tb for 20 odd euros doesnt defeat this attractive approach to eliminating seedboxes. More over, the previous 2012 range had the same 2TB storage, so epic fail here believing that your new range has changed due to less appealing to seedbox users.

More over i dont believe this had anything to do with congestion at all on the network, if anything alter the bandwidth usage or HD space, but to deteriorate a server performance by about 60 percent is beyond me. and pay about the same price. Laughable.

Such contradiction between the lines of what you say Marks. More over there is no offical newsletter, forum post, or announcement stating the reasons as to why these actions are taking place, and by not talking about it openly leads me to believe that OVH just assumed the consumer not to notice. Purely immature actions for such a well known company.

- suggetsion
For registered companies, why not have a additional option for the cheaper servers where we dont require support and require a box simular to the 2012 KS range.

secondly, your affecting every consumer with this change. If its seedbox users that has degraded your choice to this KS2012 range, then why is it the normal consumer has to suffer. So why not have a additional term in place for a registered company users, where you can check the usage by notice, at the interest of you providing something simular to KS2012 range.

The whole point is here, is that there was no debate, or even i bet a discussion, more of a dictation. Forced intergration, of KS to OVH, a drop in server performance by 60 percent, and the servers there arnt worth that compared to last years range. Seriously no thought for your existing/current clients. more an insult.

LawsHosting
16-11-2012, 19:12
Quote Originally Posted by Kode
Yeah and that's a good thing, my point was the new kimsufis would be less attractive for those type of people to begin with
But if you offer a £8.99 server, wouldn't that attract these types of folk initially? I mean the type that email spam. Seems that the basic Kim gets cheaper each year.

Kode
16-11-2012, 15:32
Yeah and that's a good thing, my point was the new kimsufis would be less attractive for those type of people to begin with, and they are unlikely to fork out the extra to go ovh, so will therefore go elsewhere, hopefully meaning a less congested network for the rest of us

marks
16-11-2012, 15:12
Quote Originally Posted by avizeke
Ovh just made a ruthless statement saying the own KS, and wanted to publicly make everyone aware of that. this is of course my interpitation, either way OVH... grow up. A company growing this fast can also crumble just as quick !
I'm not getting it. It is true that some of the new limitations on Kimsufis are towards restricting the industrial use of Kimsufis on certain applications (such as VPS, email servers on multiple IPs, ... basically anything based on multiple IPs. Don't think the traffic limitation affects that much).

OVH's view is that for really heavy use applications, it's much better to use Pro servers. Not only they are better prepared for that and the support is more in accordance to the kind of application, but also limit the frustration and disappointment of setting up these services with servers that cannot be up to the minimum standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kode
well I think reading between the lines, the idea is to make it less attractive for the likes of seedboxes and email spam, which will be using a lot of bandwidth while paying very little, so I think the idea is those people either have to pay more to go on the ovh servers or go elsewhere, which if they do go elsewhere would decrease the congestion on the network for the rest of the customers.
We've been cracking down on all spam mail servers and seedboxes, as much as we get the reports of these servers. No matter the server being a Pro server or a Kimsufi one, servers breaking our Terms and Conditions will be cancelled.

Kode
16-11-2012, 13:37
well I think reading between the lines, the idea is to make it less attractive for the likes of seedboxes and email spam, which will be using a lot of bandwidth while paying very little, so I think the idea is those people either have to pay more to go on the ovh servers or go elsewhere, which if they do go elsewhere would decrease the congestion on the network for the rest of the customers.

avizeke
16-11-2012, 13:14
where is there a like button for when i need one ! thanks for the feedback on this matter guys and the like button goes to DigitalDaz . completely concure.

Ovh is making more of a political statement, with this move. As with most companies, when they become international or unchallenged by anyone else, they tend to forget the consumer that origionally gained them a great name in the first place and shift on product placement, But also in the same way with 2011 and 2012 KS range, no one complained when it did us good, but then also OVH was been used less and KS was gaining a bigger name.

Ovh just made a ruthless statement saying the own KS, and wanted to publicly make everyone aware of that. this is of course my interpitation, either way OVH... grow up. A company growing this fast can also crumble just as quick !

There should be a voting system. Now that would be interesting. one or the other ... Kimsufi only, or OVH only.

simples

DigitalDaz
16-11-2012, 09:41
I also agree that the Kimsufi range is now next to useless for a lot of purposes that the old range was used for.

I've recently moved the majority of my kit from OVH, one of the main reasons being we were having problems with network latency that we were just left to live with.

I personally think this is a very brave move by OVH. I'm sure this will initially mean OVH will lose quite a lot of business. Over the years on these forums it seems that many people have only been interested in shifting as much traffic as they possibly can for the lowest price through the network.

I'm guessing that over time, OVH is hoping to see continued growth in its server sales without having to continuously upgrade network capacity because everyone is trying to extract the last possible byte of their "unlimited" bandwidth.

marks
16-11-2012, 09:32
OVH boast on no telephone support and cant help with any services that you install, from a Kimsufi server, even though it may come from there own selection of OS options, with for example Plesk, or Cpanel. Its clear that if you install something away from OVH's options that it would remain aparent that you as the owner of that server is responsible for what is on it, and to some degree i understand once all aspects are installed on your dedi from OVH that beyond that point too that its down to the user to be responsible, however i dont believe that you should be left in the dark, should you come across issues, afterall, i did origionally come to OVH/KS for its level of support at the begginning, but now its becoming from my opinion less supportive and more ruthless.
Our ready-to-go Plesk or cPanel are fairly standard installations. Obviously, OVH does have some knowledge on the distribution that we've installed, the same knowledge that you would have if you had installed it. As the servers are unmanaged, we cannot give support for Plesk or other control panel, you're meant to have the knowledge to install it too.

alex
15-11-2012, 21:56
I can say with both you will get the same level of support, etickets will be replied within 24 hours or more, nothing extra - the same service...

Myatu
13-11-2012, 09:12
Overall i believe the new KS range is more aimed at domestic use and not driven for commercial use at all. As the 2012 range was really good.
That's what Kimsufi's have always been marketed as, but many people have used it for commercial purposes too. They still can be, but not on a scale as they used to be - especially virtualisation.

So, I find that this falls better in line with the original intent of OVH and the product line-up as a whole (a progressive path from the Kimsufi upwards to the HG's).

Secondly, based on there new stretch for the 2013 range with ovh and KS, they have intergrated the websites both together , as previously the websites where seperate making it easier to understand what level of managed services you have between the two
That I can agree with. On one hand, they're making a better distinction between Kimsufi and OVH with the line-up, but blurring the lines by merging the the two websites. Perhaps it's a temporary thing, whilst they re-work the "old" Kimsufi sites? Who knows...

avizeke
13-11-2012, 06:18
Ok so, some one please, relate to my trepidation here.

i would like to know what others are thinking here, please post your thoughts.

Am i the only one who is slightly disappointed with Kimsufi 2013 range compared to there 2012 range ?

2012 (24g) range had 4 cores 8 threads and 24 gig ram, with 2Tb/s HD. for around 44 euros...

For me there is nothing that compares to the core capacity and ram capacity with the new KS 2013 range. ( most is 4 threads with 16 gig ram )

there was even a KS 16G range that was again 8 threads and 16 gig, that i find hard for the new range to compete with this based on capacity.

Overall i believe the new KS range is more aimed at domestic use and not driven for commercial use at all. As the 2012 range was really good.

Thats one aspect.

Secondly, based on there new stretch for the 2013 range with ovh and KS, they have intergrated the websites both together , as previously the websites where seperate making it easier to understand what level of managed services you have between the two, however as they have intergrated the websites there is no defined difference, or it becomes harder to understand.

OVH boast on no telephone support and cant help with any services that you install, from a Kimsufi server, even though it may come from there own selection of OS options, with for example Plesk, or Cpanel. Its clear that if you install something away from OVH's options that it would remain aparent that you as the owner of that server is responsible for what is on it, and to some degree i understand once all aspects are installed on your dedi from OVH that beyond that point too that its down to the user to be responsible, however i dont believe that you should be left in the dark, should you come across issues, afterall, i did origionally come to OVH/KS for its level of support at the begginning, but now its becoming from my opinion less supportive and more ruthless.

and then to finalise

how come Kimsufi is backtracking on "bang for buck" and still no support. it becomes contradictory that you offer less this year and be relatively ruthless with the level of support as a kimsufi consumer.

-

i would like to know what others are thinking here, please post your thoughts.