OVH Community, your new community space.

Clean install of debian using vKVM?

makno
03-12-2012, 00:38
i'd suggest proxmox as you don't need to worry about kernel and what not

Phixion
30-11-2012, 19:14
Why don't OVH offer stock installs? It's obvious a lot of people want it.

Loke
30-11-2012, 13:29
thx!

only warning i got was:
Warning: update-grub_lib is deprecated, use grub-mkconfig_lib instead
worked perfectly, for grub i chose to use nodokodo's way, works also fine.
Linux **.kimsufi.com 3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.32-1~bpo60+1 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Too bad there isn't a way to do a clean install, since for ppl like me that don't know much about linux removing not needed packages / editing stuff is hard

now it's time to hunt for a good virtualbox installation guide and vbox linux guide (having to do everything command line will prove a lot more difficult than using the gui on windows...)

many thanks again!

Myatu
29-11-2012, 21:54
Quote Originally Posted by Loke
Since i can't use the ovh kernels for that i started looking around for a guide (i have very limited basic knowledge of linux).
All you have to do is install Debian as per OVH's Manager, then follow the instructions here: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5616 (which works for both Debian and Ubuntu).

The only thing I'd do, is add Debian Squeeze's backports, so you can use the latest 3.x kernels. So before you follow that guide, do this:

Code:
echo "deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
And when you're ready to install a kernel, as per the guide, use:

Code:
apt-get -t squeeze-backports install 
Now, as for the reason why you're having trouble with vKVM, is because its is a virtualized environment, with the exception of the HDDs. In other words, it's not really your server, but a virtual server with different components. So automated setups will detect different hardware and network settings, which will no longer be valid once you boot your actual server. It's a common pitfall with the vKVM.

makno
29-11-2012, 20:00
maybe this will help: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3011

Loke
29-11-2012, 18:55
Quote Originally Posted by Kode
That was lucky indeed, that's better than the crappy D425 I got in the more expensive KS 2G.

From the looks of the error there was a connection problem while installing?

When you say you "ried with one of the "cd" versions ~ 700MB " what did you actually do?
well really that was the 3rd time i tried with netinst.iso always gives that error around there.

a friend suggested to try with a iso that doesn't have a lot of net dependecies so i tried with debian-6.0.6-i386-CD-1.iso which if i am not wrong is bundled with a lot of packages? In the ftp there are ~ 50 iso's like that are named 1-49 of similar size. I am guessing they hold different packages?

Kode
29-11-2012, 18:25
That was lucky indeed, that's better than the crappy D425 I got in the more expensive KS 2G.

From the looks of the error there was a connection problem while installing?

When you say you "ried with one of the "cd" versions ~ 700MB " what did you actually do?

Loke
29-11-2012, 16:02
Hello, the other day i got a mks 2g and i was lucky to get the n2800 cpu (2 cores / 4 thread @1.8) so i thought to run 1-2 light VM's on it.

Since i can't use the ovh kernels for that i started looking around for a guide (i have very limited basic knowledge of linux).

I followed these instructions from a thread in here i think:

wget http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dist...tboot/mini.iso
mkdir -p /mnt/iso
mount -o loop mini.iso /mnt/iso
cp /mnt/iso/initrd.gz /boot/initrd-debinst.gz
cp /mnt/iso/linux /boot/vmlinuz-debinst
aptitude -y install grub
mkdir /boot/grub
nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

Fill menu.lst with the following info: (save using [ctrl]+[x]):

default 0
timeout 30
title Install Debian
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-debinst vga=normal ramdisksize=11057 root=/dev/rd/0 devfs=mount,dall rw –
initrd /boot/initrd-debinst.gz

grub-install /dev/sda
grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
poweroff
only error i got was that /boot/grub was already existing.

then rebooted with vkvm linked a netinst.iso and started installing. After some hours? ( it's amazingly slow but it's free ) it crashed stating "network error: remote side closed connection" at ~ 70% of installing the base system.
Tried with one of the "cd" versions ~ 700MB wouldn't start with them.

Is it vkvm's fault? my fault? Can someone explain the full steps of doing a clean debian install? Or point to a noob proof tutorial that works 100%.

Thx a lot.