OVH Community, your new community space.

Atomic ASL kernel Centos 6.3

raxxeh
26-12-2012, 04:25
Quote Originally Posted by rpmb
My attitude?

You read the posts you make on this forum?

Dont worry I went elsewhere and got it resolved. See a forum where help is available. Seems to be somewhat lacking here perhaps due to users like yourself. Enjoy being on top with your 2008 posts on a practically dead forum.
He has 2008 posts because he helps people who post without accusing.

Myatu
24-12-2012, 21:22
Christ, two weeks later you come up with something? Bore off, you muppet...

rpmb
24-12-2012, 19:39
My attitude?

You read the posts you make on this forum?

Dont worry I went elsewhere and got it resolved. See a forum where help is available. Seems to be somewhat lacking here perhaps due to users like yourself. Enjoy being on top with your 2008 posts on a practically dead forum.

Myatu
10-12-2012, 19:51
It's not a lack of experience in this case, but your attitude that gives me no interest in exerting any effort to assist you, despite that the solution is actually quite simple and you've briefly touched on in it yourself. You've only got yourself to thank. Good luck!

rpmb
10-12-2012, 19:19
I am here asking as someone may have been in a similiar situation which would make troubleshooting the issue somewhat easier.

Obviously you have no experience with the issue at hand but thanks for your input.

Myatu
10-12-2012, 19:00
The fallback is so if the asl kernel fails the server still boots. Of course the uname is showing the OVH kernel if it was showing the ASL kernel then I wouldnt be here asking.
"Of course" you should then also know why it failed back to the OVH kernel then. I can see why you were referred here...

rpmb
10-12-2012, 18:54
Well I asked them a pretty clear question. Is it modified and they refused to answer and that I should seek help on the forum. Wasnt a hard question which you managed to answer!

I am well aware what unmanaged means. However its easier for them to reply on their servers as they should know the specifics for them. Unmanaged doesnt mean they cant answer a question when asked. I dont need them to do it for me. Clearly this is something specific to their servers considering I have installed this at 3 other DC's which worked instantly.

The fallback is so if the asl kernel fails the server still boots. Of course the uname is showing the OVH kernel if it was showing the ASL kernel then I wouldnt be here asking.

Myatu
10-12-2012, 18:43
I have read that the os is a modified version of Centos something which OVH wont admit as to what is modified (is it really a big secret?) but should run it.
What do you mean "OVH won't admit as to what is modified"? It's just a GRS patch (see http://grsecurity.net/) and disabled module loading. Full config is here: ftp://ftp.ovh.net/made-in-ovh/bzImage/

OVH support say different and it should install but wont help other than that and to ask in the forum!
Indeed. They're not managed servers, so any customization is down to you.

Code:
default=saved
timeout=5
fallback 1 0

title linux centos6-cpanel11_64
        kernel /boot/bzImage-3.2.13-xxxx-grs-ipv6-64 root=/dev/md1  ro
        root (hd0,0)
        savedefault fallback

title CentOS (2.6.art)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32.60-36.art.x86_64 root=/dev/md1  ro
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.32.60-36.art.x86_64.img
        savedefault fallback
If you perform "uname" on the shell, you'll likely see you're still booting off the OVH kernel (ends with "xxxx-grs-ipv6-64"), not Atomic ("36.art.x86_64"). Simply change the "default=" setting (should be 1).

rpmb
10-12-2012, 16:15
Hello,

Has anyone had any experience in getting the atomic secured kernel installed on a SP centos server?

Ive been speaking to support and they have stated it should be possible but as yet I have been unable to get the server to run with it.

I have read that the os is a modified version of Centos something which OVH wont admit as to what is modified (is it really a big secret?) but should run it.

Atomic have stated that its more than likely the os has been modified enough to make it not work. OVH support say different and it should install but wont help other than that and to ask in the forum!

My grub is...

Code:
default=saved
timeout=5
fallback 1 0

title linux centos6-cpanel11_64
        kernel /boot/bzImage-3.2.13-xxxx-grs-ipv6-64 root=/dev/md1  ro
        root (hd0,0)
        savedefault fallback

title CentOS (2.6.art)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32.60-36.art.x86_64 root=/dev/md1  ro
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.32.60-36.art.x86_64.img
        savedefault fallback
df shows / at /dev/root but I believe the device is mapped to md1 although I could be wrong.

I could run the server just using the kernel provided by OVH however seen as I have a ASL license then Id prefer to run their kernel. Any ideas? or is the only option to install a clean os.