OVH Community, your new community space.

Shared hosting SSL

Myatu
05-02-2013, 15:26
See? I couldn't even get the acronyms right Thanks though.

marks
04-02-2013, 19:32
the guides are not meant to be used as a solution-for-everything. We normally send the guides as per customer needs, and we know the guides that we send are fine.

This is further compounded with all the abbreviations that Oles likes to come up with. Ie., the PCC (public cloud) is not the same as the pCC (public cloud), etc. - its like NASA.
pcc: private cloud computing
pci: public cloud instance

we've never called the public cloud pcc, but I understnad that it's difficult to catch up with the acronyms ... not only ovh's but vmware and others. I take on the comments, specially about the FAQ or making clear the shared SSL page.

macole111
04-02-2013, 17:48
Wouldn't mind contributing, those help.ovh.co.uk guides are pure awful, and you only see them when you are in a crisis really.

-macole111

Andy
04-02-2013, 14:49
This is why I was going to put a site together for this, a bit like my AbyssUnderground and IISUnderground sites but for OVH guides. However I never found the time to do it. I can't help but feel that if people on the forum contributed to this then OVH staff could point people to it if they won't spend time making their own guides better.

Myatu
04-02-2013, 14:47
I didn't even know that page was on the website, but once on that page, you'd have to click through to the manual to get the full idea that you don't get a certificate for your own domain name.

Also, the link to that page on the hosting offers page is called "SSL Certificate" - that makes it all the more confusing.

You really, really, reaaaaally need a FAQ on the website. I've been hoping to see one for a very long time now. It makes lives so much easier, because there's a single place where people can get quick answers to questions like these. Its also much easier for you to maintain.

The guide, for all its good intentions, is a hard-on-the-eyes mish-mash of (outdated) documents. And for some, that guide its just too technical to function as a FAQ. A scenario of: "I just came here for a Soda, but now I'm being explained how Soda is being made, where the CO2 comes from, that there used to be real Cocaine in it, etc.".

This is further compounded with all the abbreviations that Oles likes to come up with. Ie., the PCC (public cloud) is not the same as the pCC (public cloud), etc. - its like NASA.

Just some food for thought there...

Andy
04-02-2013, 13:54
It would be worth pointing this out a bit more clearly on the site. As Myatu has also said it isn't clear at all, especially when you expect OVH as big as they are to support dedicated SSL.

marks
04-02-2013, 10:45
in the website talks about shared SSL certificate for the hosting packages:

http://www.ovh.co.uk/web-hosting/shared-ssl.xml

which is using the certificate for the main hosting server:

https://ssl10.ovh.net/

depending on your particular hosting. If you host the secure part of your website with this URL, there will be no security warning and all the data will be encrypted. Still not ideal, as you would like your domain to be encrypted (https://yourdomain.com) but for that, we recommend a dedicated hosting (VPS coming soon!)

Andy
03-02-2013, 16:24
Yeah, I wish it was explained a bit more thoroughly before we bought hosting for a full year... It wouldn't be so bad if it was monthly, we could choose somewhere else but we're committed for a year now.

Something else is OpenCart doesn't allow shared SSL setups either, which means I have to go the payment gateway route now, I have no choice but to let their side handle it... Grrr.

Myatu
03-02-2013, 15:33
Yeah, it isn't explained at all on the main website, which certainly can lead to confusion. They should provide a sample URL, so people understand it isn't under your own domain name.

Push comes to shove, you could always have "secure.mydomain.com" pointed to a unique IP with its own SSL certificate.

Andy
03-02-2013, 15:22
Thanks Myatu. After not finding the SSL option I didn't think it was going to work properly. Hopefully my client only needs to use payment gateways which will negate the need for SSL support as they are secured by the payment provider. No payment info will go into the site besides their address as the rest should be taken by the payment gateway under their SSL. We'll see...

I'm slightly annoyed this isn't pointed out before you buy. At a push I'll just have to use OVH's shared SSL until the year hosting is up and we move it to proper SSL.

Myatu
03-02-2013, 15:13
The details are under "Hosting" -> "Summary". You get an URL like https://ssl4.ovh.net/~mydomain/, which shares the same space as your /www directory.

They stopped those SSL certificates with a domain purchase quite some time ago, down to some security issues or the likes. Most browsers still don't support different SSL certificates on the same IP though, so even if you had one, it wouldn't work on shared hosting.

Andy
03-02-2013, 13:31
Hi all,

I'm trying to get an online store working on the shared hosting but I can't seem to find any option for SSL certificates despite the order saying it has it. Am I just being stupid or am I missing it? Supposedly you get an SSL certificate when you buy a domain yet I see no way to configure it?

Thanks.