OVH Community, your new community space.

Legal ISO Seeding?

IainK
05-08-2008, 15:22
awalsh + kingofsplooge: don't worry! Sharing linux distributions via torrent is perfectly acceptable and encouraged! If it wasn't for people like you the torrents would take a lot longer to finish for all us home users
Remember that to use your full 100mbit connection for a 31 day month you can use 32,695 Gigabytes. That's a lot, your torrents came no where close!

100 Megabits/s = 12.5 Megabytes/s

12.5 megabytes x 60 seconds = 750 Megabytes/minute

750 Megabytes x 60 minutes = 45,000 Megabytes or 43.9453125 Gigabyes/hour

43.9453125 Gigabytes x 24 hours = 1,054.6875 Gigabytes/day

1,054.6875 Gigabytes x 31 days = 32,695.3125 Gigabytes/month

mark.h
05-08-2008, 13:03
Quote Originally Posted by helpseeker
I belive that infomation needs updateing, becuase its when OVH offerd a Video Streaming network for high bandwidth use, they no longer offer this service.

Now i belive you are allowed to but just no go over you 100mbit sla

awalsh
05-08-2008, 10:10
Well its not really a mass mirror, and I usually limit the speed anyway to a lot less than its capable of. (about 2-3mbps tops). I will see what support have to say. I am just making sure because a few posts on this forum have indicated that OVH were looking into banning all P2P which in itself is not unreasonable as I have had dedicated servers on such networks.

helpseeker
05-08-2008, 08:29
http://www.ovh.co.uk/items/framework/use.xml
Limits of use

In order to guarantee you the quality of OVH services, some uses are subject to specific conditions.
Thus it is prohibited to make mass hosting with the following contents:

* Video
* Streaming
* mirrors content

Yianni
05-08-2008, 06:14
Basically you should think of things like this.

If you do anything illegal on your server, expect that it might be terminated.

If you're not doing anything illegal, keep doing what you're doing.

There has been no mention about not being allowed to use torrent applications for legal torrents. You can do whatever you like on your server as long as it's not illegal and involves copyright material.

Yes, P2P does cause more load on the OVH network in general but I don't think its such a big factor for them since it would only be a small percentage of servers that are actually using P2P applications.

Cheers

awalsh
05-08-2008, 00:59
Ok thanks, I will clarify with support just incase. I just wish we could get the rules in english I was just uncertain as to if OVH were banning P2P or just illegal P2P

Nettus
04-08-2008, 23:02
Shouldnt be a problem if its legal

Andy
04-08-2008, 23:01
Its been noted that servers will only be cut off when reported. If your server is reported from a tracker and the software is copyright you'll be cut off, but if its legal then you're fine since there will be no copyright companies reporting you.

kingofsplooge
04-08-2008, 22:59
As w00t has said, legal torrents remains legal.

I had Utorrent seeding Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Ubuntu Studio all seeding back, all because I wanted them for home, but I didn't have the space nor the disks to have them at home.

I think I seeded back 50gb or more on a few, although I do apologise for the bandwidth and affecting you guys, but it all helped keep the billy supporters at bay and just helping with the distros.

As long as your not downloading music, films and other copyright protected media's, your fine.

w00t
04-08-2008, 22:54
why shouldnt u be?

if its legal its ok...

awalsh
04-08-2008, 22:53
Hello,

Ive been keeping an eye on the current situation regarding "seedboxes" on the OVH network. I fully understand that illegal P2P is strictly not allowed however from the shall we say dodgy French to English translations done by some software I am finding it difficult to obtain a clear answer if we are allowed to use our servers to seed legal ISO files such as Ubuntu, Debian, and other Linux ISO's or GPL software?