OVH Community, your new community space.

Virtual MAC not working

macole111
04-04-2013, 17:14
Sometimes it can require some persuasion from OVH support to get it to work.

You might want to ask them if it still isn't working.

-macole111

rickyday
03-04-2013, 23:56
Quote Originally Posted by macole111
I have about 7 Windows VMs on ESXi, the OVH guides are a bit dodgy.

Here is my guide that works every time, otherwise get in touch with OVH as the IP may be dodgy.

(This only works on 2008, R2 and 2012, I haven't used 2003 in years)

Install OS on VM, add VMAC (of type VMWARE in manager) to the VM settings.

Go to adapter properties, add the IP failover in the IP box, subnet mask as 255.255.255.255 and gateway as your server's main IP ending in .254

You'll get a warning about the default gateway not being in the same subnet, but just ignore the message.

Then all should be well, and you network connection should work fine, otherwise probably something that OVH needs to change.

Hope this helps,
-macole111.
I have set up many Windows based VMs and agree with Macole111, this setup works fine for me, I use Hyper-V within 2012, OVH VMACs work fine with that setup.

macole111
01-03-2013, 17:58
I have about 7 Windows VMs on ESXi, the OVH guides are a bit dodgy.

Here is my guide that works every time, otherwise get in touch with OVH as the IP may be dodgy.

(This only works on 2008, R2 and 2012, I haven't used 2003 in years)

Install OS on VM, add VMAC (of type VMWARE in manager) to the VM settings.

Go to adapter properties, add the IP failover in the IP box, subnet mask as 255.255.255.255 and gateway as your server's main IP ending in .254

You'll get a warning about the default gateway not being in the same subnet, but just ignore the message.

Then all should be well, and you network connection should work fine, otherwise probably something that OVH needs to change.

Hope this helps,
-macole111.

jonlewi5
01-03-2013, 17:28
fair enough, good luck

Razakel
01-03-2013, 17:18
Quote Originally Posted by jonlewi5
not tried it myself on windows, but i just remember reading when i was working on pfsense on esxi that you needed to change something in the nic settins in the registry?

i might be way off the mark like but Ill see if i can dig out what i was reading

you may have already tried this, but ill post it either way...
http://help.ovh.co.uk/IpAlias#link11
Those are the instructions for adding an additional IP, and the mention of editing the registry is just changing the subnet to 255.255.255.255 (Server 2003 doesn't accept that if you just enter it in the settings dialog).

jonlewi5
01-03-2013, 16:53
not tried it myself on windows, but i just remember reading when i was working on pfsense on esxi that you needed to change something in the nic settins in the registry?

i might be way off the mark like but Ill see if i can dig out what i was reading

you may have already tried this, but ill post it either way...
http://help.ovh.co.uk/IpAlias#link11

Razakel
01-03-2013, 16:47
I've got a server running ESXi with two VMs, one Linux and one Windows. The Linux VM works absolutely fine, but I can't get any network connectivity on the Windows VM. Or any Windows VM, for that matter: I've tried three separate ones.

The MAC is set, the IP is set, the subnet mask is 255.255.255.255 and the gateway is the server IP but ending in .254. Windows insists on switching it to an autoconf IP for some reason. I've disabled that, but no joy.

Ping/traceroute just returns alternately "destination host unreachable" or "request timed out".

This happens with every VMAC I try and every IP. It was working fine before I rearranged my IP to MAC assignments. A second Linux VM and see what happens (edit: it works fine. WTF?)

What the hell is wrong here?