OVH Community, your new community space.

Update Kernel

Myatu
23-03-2013, 11:00
There are a few ways of doing that.

You could do it via the OVH manager, provided the kernel is available there (not 3.7.x in my case):

Log into your OVH Manager and select the server. From the available menu on the left hand side, under the heading "Dedicated servers", select "Services" and then "Netboot".

You should be able to select between hd, rescue-pro, vKVM or the available kernels - just select the kernel you need and reboot the server.

This is also easily reversible by following the same procedure.

Alternatively, you can download the kernels directly onto your server:

Code:
sudo su
cd /boot
wget ftp://ftp.ovh.net/made-in-ovh/bzImage/3.7.10/bzImage-3.7.10-xxxx-grs-ipv6-64
wget ftp://ftp.ovh.net/made-in-ovh/bzImage/3.7.10/System.map-3.7.10-xxxx-grs-ipv6-64
update-grub
During the update-grub command, you should see that it found linux image /boot/bzImage-3.7.10-xxxx-grs-ipv6-64 (make sure it does). The changes will take effect once you reboot the server (use the reboot command). You can double check with the uname -a command that the new kernel has been loaded.

Note that in above example, you will be using OVH's GRS-hardened kernel.

Furthermore, note that the "echo" commands in the email you've quoted are only valid until the next reboot.

goddesschi
21-03-2013, 15:25
Yes, you have to renew your server.

We did some test about the slow speed you have and see a big difference with this configuration:

You need to update to this kernel version:
ftp://ftp.ovh.net/made-in-ovh/bzImage/3.7.10/

you have to also modify some system kernel config:
echo bic > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_congestion_control
echo 0 > /sys/module/tcp_bic/parameters/smooth_part
echo 0 > /sys/module/tcp_bic/parameters/fast_convergence
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_sack

Please update both server and test, you should see a good improvement.
About the speed of ovh bhs <-> ovh (Eur) is not good enough, the staff asked me to update the kernel, but he didn't want to tell me how to update it in detail.
Could any master tech me how to update the kernel successfully? thanks

I use the ubuntu desktop 12.04