OVH Community, your new community space.

Personal FTP Repository

marks
08-05-2013, 11:29
Quote Originally Posted by spid3r1987
Yeah i managed to restore a backup file.
so thanks for your help guys
check your partitioning layout so there are no surprises in the future. All data prone to grow to a good amount of data, it's better to be put on the data partition, away from the system/root partition.

spid3r1987
07-05-2013, 15:30
Yeah i managed to restore a backup file.
so thanks for your help guys
Quote Originally Posted by marks
for security, the root partition is always apart from the data partition. This way, you won't find yourself on a situation that the data fills up the root partition, crashing the system (common security practise). Check your partitioning layout:

Code:
fdisk -l

mount
and you'll probably discover that you've got a huge partition unused.

About the FTP: yes, that's correct. For security, FTP backup is only accessible from your server's IP and from other Ips that belong to the server (IP failovers and RIPE IP blocks), under request.

marks
16-04-2013, 11:06
for security, the root partition is always apart from the data partition. This way, you won't find yourself on a situation that the data fills up the root partition, crashing the system (common security practise). Check your partitioning layout:

Code:
fdisk -l

mount
and you'll probably discover that you've got a huge partition unused.

About the FTP: yes, that's correct. For security, FTP backup is only accessible from your server's IP and from other Ips that belong to the server (IP failovers and RIPE IP blocks), under request.

JakeMS
16-04-2013, 07:02
Just curious, was you able to get your backup off your server safely in the end? :-).

spid3r1987
15-04-2013, 16:21
Quote Originally Posted by JakeMS
Have you checked /tmp?

You may have an old cache file hogging space.

Also, do you have any logs which may indicate what is going on?

Additionally, once the file is on your server, have you tried SFTP rather than plain FTP from your server to your laptop? As far as I am aware it does not create a duplicate file on the system in cache.
did not know that, i will find where the file gets located on the server when its moved to server repo and use filezilla to steal it
thanks

JakeMS
15-04-2013, 15:56
Have you checked /tmp?

You may have an old cache file hogging space.

Also, do you have any logs which may indicate what is going on?

Additionally, once the file is on your server, have you tried SFTP rather than plain FTP from your server to your laptop? As far as I am aware it does not create a duplicate file on the system in cache.

spid3r1987
15-04-2013, 15:47
Quote Originally Posted by JakeMS
Assuming you mean the FTP Backup provided by OVH, this is intentional. The FTP is limited to only be connectable by your server and nothing else.

There's two ways you can get it to your laptop:
1) Download from FTP to server, then server to laptop
2) Use your server as VPN and download from FTP to your laptop

#1 is easiest/quickest to setup. The idea of the FTP backup is for quickaccess to your backup from your server so you don't have to mess around uploading it from your computers in disaster recovery situations.

Hope this helps :-).
bit worrying though that the backup is 6.3gb, once its downloaded to server its almost filled my root drive, then when i tell it to download to laptop, it seems to cache or something and completely fills my root drive :?

JakeMS
15-04-2013, 15:32
Assuming you mean the FTP Backup provided by OVH, this is intentional. The FTP is limited to only be connectable by your server and nothing else.

There's two ways you can get it to your laptop:
1) Download from FTP to server, then server to laptop
2) Use your server as VPN and download from FTP to your laptop

#1 is easiest/quickest to setup. The idea of the FTP backup is for quickaccess to your backup from your server so you don't have to mess around uploading it from your computers in disaster recovery situations.

Hope this helps :-).

spid3r1987
15-04-2013, 15:28
I have a backup file in my Personal FTP REPO
now when i tell it to download to desktop, it does NOTHING....sits saying "waiting for """, but in the mean time, im checking my server and it seems to be moving it to my servers root drive, which only has 20gb space...so soon fills up...once the drive is full i can no longer access my panel :/

so how do i get it to my laptop...
do i have to click download to desktop then let it load to server then it downloads to my laptop??
just it takes a LONG time since the backup is 6.3gb...