OVH Community, your new community space.

Network disruption

Busby
15-05-2013, 16:28
This is what happened this morning..

Myatu
14-05-2013, 21:12
That appears to be a predictable time that this happens - you don't have any scheduled tasks around that time, do you? Does anything show up in the Windows Event Viewer around those times?

AndyJ
14-05-2013, 20:34
@macole111: Thanks, I have logs of users connected which shows the mass disconnections.

@Myatu: They are very different dedicated server packages. The software is quite primitive and nothing I am using is different to any other companies I have used (and not experienced an issue). Please take a look at the attached graphs which show the effected period.

@DigitalDaz: Its not happening simultaneously, I have had the problem with each server not not always necessarily at the same time. It has always seemed to happen between 4PM and 5AM GMT. I get 150+ users disconnected within seconds.

DigitalDaz
14-05-2013, 17:48
Quote Originally Posted by Busby
I have similar problems to AndyJ and they only last a minute or so mostly.

I have 2 Windows servers for my radio station - one is the main programme output and the second is a backup. I frequently log onto my main server and notice that the station is running on the backup. When I view the logs on my playout system I see that for maybe just a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes, I can see that I have lost connectivity with my streaming server - also with OVH, and the backup has picked up the connection.

The problem never lasts long enough to investigate it - but long enough to lose many of my listeners.
Thats interesting, how long have you been seeing this?

We ran plenty of VOIP services at OVH for a good long time and they were flawless until about mid 2012, we started experiencing jitter problems that still were not resolved when we eventually moved to colo in the UK.

I don't recall ever experiencing disconnections though.

I still have a couple of latency intolerant apps running at OVH now and I still have no problems.

Busby
14-05-2013, 16:29
I have similar problems to AndyJ and they only last a minute or so mostly.

I have 2 Windows servers for my radio station - one is the main programme output and the second is a backup. I frequently log onto my main server and notice that the station is running on the backup. When I view the logs on my playout system I see that for maybe just a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes, I can see that I have lost connectivity with my streaming server - also with OVH, and the backup has picked up the connection.

The problem never lasts long enough to investigate it - but long enough to lose many of my listeners.

DigitalDaz
14-05-2013, 15:16
This to multiple servers and all at the same time and particularly in different locations makes me wonder about maybe your ISP connectivity and OVH when this is happening. You may or may not have ruled this out already.

Is it at random times or is it say every friday between 3 and 6?

If you haven't ruled out ISP when it happens can you get someone else to test whatever your seeing from another location. Also when you are experiencing this, can you get onto on of your machines remotely and do some tests on the remote server and see where its losing the plot. Maybe test OVH to other OVH too. Using basic tools like traceroute etc will usually give you a fair idea of your problem point.

Myatu
14-05-2013, 14:57
Quote Originally Posted by AndyJ
On a weekly/fortnightly basis the connection from the server to the internet becomes erratic and continuously disconnects every 1-30 seconds for 1-3 seconds, over a 3 hour or so period. Network traffic drops to 0 and CPU in windows task manager drops to 0. One of my servers is lunux and I have recorded periods of high latency at the same time as on of my windows servers via pings. When I sent the info to technical services they just told me to get more evidence, which frankly I find disgusting.
Are these servers configured similar, both hardware and software wise (bar the difference with Linux)? I'm wondering if this a buggy NIC or driver for it, given you said it happens at different locations. If they were in the same location/rack, one'd also have to consider the OVH switch for that rack otherwise...

Also, if you go into the OVH manager and select to view the 'Packets' from the 'MRTG Graphs', do you see any drop-outs at those specific times you've noticed the problem? Or on the Linux server, do you have anything in your /var/log/syslog that stands out as a possible problem?

macole111
14-05-2013, 10:27
Hmm strange, do you have any logs or anything? I only run 2008 R2 and 2012 with a couple of ESXi hosts, but my experience is in Windows mainly.

You might want to talk to OVH UK as sometimes talking to the DC support directly can have a bit of 'puedo English' translation involved.

-macole111

AndyJ
14-05-2013, 09:37
Both the windows (2008 R2) and linux servers are used pretty much as is. Most incoming ports are closed and that's the only real configuration I do. Been fine for 8 years with other providers.
It is very similar behaviour to which I saw when there was an unannounced network update around 10th Feb

Regards

macole111
13-05-2013, 22:47
We really do need more info, sounds to me like some kind of configuration issue you are repeating across your servers, as those 5 are likely to be in different DCs/racks, and you are the only one experiencing any problems. Otherwise it would be network wide and lots of other people would notice.

-macole111

AndyJ
13-05-2013, 21:39
Your clearly a very funny guy. But on the other hand thanks for a useless reply, I look forward to more helpful input

DigitalDaz
13-05-2013, 20:07
Why's the request for more evidence disgusting? If it was as detailed as the post you are making here, I can understand why.

From what you have told us so far I suppose one piece of advice that will be as good as any anyone can give you is to try changing the fuse in your fridge.

AndyJ
13-05-2013, 19:26
On a weekly/fortnightly basis the connection from the server to the internet becomes erratic and continuously disconnects every 1-30 seconds for 1-3 seconds, over a 3 hour or so period. Network traffic drops to 0 and CPU in windows task manager drops to 0. One of my servers is lunux and I have recorded periods of high latency at the same time as on of my windows servers via pings. When I sent the info to technical services they just told me to get more evidence, which frankly I find disgusting.

I require and pay for a constant consistent connection and this is leaving me little choice but to pack my bags and leave. This is an ongoing issue that ovh just brush aside. I have 5 servers now with ovh and every single 1 of them has this problem, from kimsufi to professional use, and even at different locations.

I moved over to OVH in December, which to be honest was the worst decision I have ever made. I am yet to receive an adequate response from customer services.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? It is beyond me why this is considered acceptable