OVH Community, your new community space.

RPS Server Wiped By Technician

IainK
16-09-2008, 00:53
It's pretty savage that the technician just wiped your server! If that had been in production use it would be absolutely outragous.
That's not even acceptable with shared hosting =/

dragon2611
16-09-2008, 00:50
rsync

Only needs to send changes.

v0x
13-09-2008, 02:43
Quote Originally Posted by unclebob
Anyone recommend the best way of doing a backup of linux?
Personally we're light on data, so I just run tar and archive anything critical.

You could set up a cron job to run a shell script that does this every so often, then whacks it on an ftp server or something.

As far as turnkey stuff goes, install webmin, secure it, and there's a fairly configurable backup module someplace

Bilge
08-09-2008, 19:55
#!/bin/sh

unclebob
08-09-2008, 18:18
Anyone recommend the best way of doing a backup of linux?

BELLonline
11-08-2008, 14:39
Yep, there are two ways of learning to back up - the easy way and the hard way.

As a student, I learnt it the hard way - I had a 6 week assignment and only had it on one floppy! On the hand in date the disc got corrupt and I had to do most of it within a few hours lol.

Andy
09-08-2008, 19:48
That seems a little unusual. I wouldn't have expected a technician to wipe the "drive" before consulting you first. However this is, as you say, a warning to everyone... Backup regularly! If it is important, do it daily as a minimum. My backups run hourly for databases and daily for all other data, so my losses are cut if there is ever a problem.

v0x
09-08-2008, 18:19
Just thought I'd throw this little gem out there.

A technician just decided to reinstall my rps, without any warning.

Date: 2008-08-09 17:20:37: *.ovh.net detected as down
Date 2008-08-09 17:25:55, * made Software diagnosis: relocation bone ends
sending access codes
server bzimage
ping OK, OK SSH

Now, i'm not too pissed-- there wasn't anything that important on that box, i'll have it back up and running tomorrow, and there are of course backups. There may have been mitigating circumstances that I'm unaware of.

The RPS had mounted its iscsi drives in read-only(Automatically, so I assume it was related to a filesystem error somewhere). I know the file system was at least readable since I poked around abit before I decided to restart, and attempted to remount the drives - when that failed I restarted, it didn't come back up, and I let the intervention take its course.

I'm just a little surprised that the system was just.. wiped

I have a feeling this is linked to the slight reshuffle that was performed on the SAN, and again, it doesn't matter to me a whole lot - but if you don't back up your RPS, take heed of this warning.

v0x