OVH Community, your new community space.

5Tbps network

pcoventry
10-08-2013, 12:25
Well I've never hit the 5TB limit but if I do at least I know I can carry on. But it's unlikely.

Thelen
10-08-2013, 11:58
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Oles said once that only a small proportion of servers use 90% of the overall bandwidth. Personally I use about 30Mbps 95th percentile of my maximum 1Gbps pipe. That's not really a whole lot a month.

Also remember that OVH cut costs hugely by using a massive amount of peering rather than transit routes.
Yep that is always the case regardless of provider.

The issue ovh had was those top 30 were not just using much of the bandwidth, but they weren't actually paying sufficient money for that use.

Andy
10-08-2013, 10:29
Seed boxes always were, for illegal content anyway. And let's face it, 99% of seed box use is illegal.

pcoventry
10-08-2013, 10:23
Quote Originally Posted by Trapper
Are seed boxes now against TOS..?
Yes I believe so

Andy
07-08-2013, 10:00
Oles said once that only a small proportion of servers use 90% of the overall bandwidth. Personally I use about 30Mbps 95th percentile of my maximum 1Gbps pipe. That's not really a whole lot a month.

Also remember that OVH cut costs hugely by using a massive amount of peering rather than transit routes.

Thelen
07-08-2013, 09:47
Quote Originally Posted by gased
I didn't say that networks guarantee 100% and I wouldn't expect that as it doesn't make sense. Most networks I've come across can give you at least 30-40% for both upload and download. The lower the percentage the lower the probability of being able to use your speed at any given time. Given the fact also that most OVH users are bandwidth hoggers (see seedboxes, newsgroups etc), I'd say that it's not something OVH should celebrate. . It's mandatory if they ever want to be considered as a reliable hosting partner.
Does any one know the uptime of their network?
Er, many of the bandwidth usage is from those, but not most of OVH are seedbox at all, in fact most of OVH are NOT seedbox that is the very reason it even survives.

They say 99.99% I believe. Some servers will have an SLA on it.
99.99% indeed though you will see some differences for kimsufi.

Andy
06-08-2013, 20:40
They say 99.99% I believe. Some servers will have an SLA on it.

rickyday
06-08-2013, 20:39
99.9% I believe.

Trapper
06-08-2013, 10:29
...that most OVH users are bandwidth hoggers (see seedboxes, newsgroups etc)...
Are seed boxes now against TOS..?

I think I know some iPhone users who are still yet to make this discovery...

gased
06-08-2013, 08:55
That's assuming every single server maxes out at once, which will never happen. No network can guarantee 100% of the pipe to every single server at once. It would just cost far too much. That's why it's called controlled overselling. Broadband ISP's do it all the time, and there will never be a time when it doesn't happen.

Considering a year ago OVH had only ~1.5Tbps, this is a huge step in the right direction.
I didn't say that networks guarantee 100% and I wouldn't expect that as it doesn't make sense. Most networks I've come across can give you at least 30-40% for both upload and download. The lower the percentage the lower the probability of being able to use your speed at any given time. Given the fact also that most OVH users are bandwidth hoggers (see seedboxes, newsgroups etc), I'd say that it's not something OVH should celebrate. . It's mandatory if they ever want to be considered as a reliable hosting partner.

Thelen
06-08-2013, 08:38
Quote Originally Posted by rickyday
Ha ha!

Funniest post of the year award goes to Myatu!
hahaha yep +1

rickyday
05-08-2013, 23:00
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
. That's the same probability of the entire British population farting at the same time and causing a mass extinction on this island.
Ha ha!

Funniest post of the year award goes to Myatu!

macole111
05-08-2013, 22:31
Actually that wouldn't surprise me quite so much
^this is so true

-macole111

Andy
05-08-2013, 22:13
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
...That's the same probability of the entire British population farting at the same time and causing a mass extinction on this island.
Actually that wouldn't surprise me quite so much

Myatu
05-08-2013, 22:12
that means that each server has 37,5Mbps capacity
... On the assumption that every single server wants to use its full bandwidth at any given time. That's the same probability of the entire British population farting at the same time and causing a mass extinction on this island.

Andy
05-08-2013, 22:11
That's assuming every single server maxes out at once, which will never happen. No network can guarantee 100% of the pipe to every single server at once. It would just cost far too much. That's why it's called controlled overselling. Broadband ISP's do it all the time, and there will never be a time when it doesn't happen.

Considering a year ago OVH had only ~1.5Tbps, this is a huge step in the right direction.

gased
05-08-2013, 21:43
I used to be an OVH customer and I have to say that 5TBPS is still not enough. Considering that OVH hosts 140.000 servers and that 5TBPS=5120gbps=5.242.880 that means that each server has 37,5Mbps capacity. Let's say that I use a Mini SP plan, I'd say that only 18,75% of my bandwidth is guaranteed. At least that's the upload speed. But given that not everyone cares about the upload speed we only get 3,7% of the download speed which is outrageous. You get what you pay for I believe though.

Thelen
29-07-2013, 08:33
Yea sorry forgot few people are as logical and rational as me. Ironic that I got 'unhappy' about you being 'unhappy' hahahahaha..

yea i know, ovh grandfathering has been both a good and bad thing

nom chill cookie

Tz-OVH
27-07-2013, 15:37
Quote Originally Posted by Thelen
Wow, just wow. You people really have no concept of value changing over time.

I guess you also go buy a new PC and then ***** a month later when the price for it all is 20% less, or a new graphics card comes out that costs the same but is 50% better?

wow.
You seem to have taken my statement very roughly. Have a cookie. :-)

Being unhappy about paying more is something we normal humans do, get over it.

Also if OVH wanted to help us adjust to the new range, they could easily drop the price of my 4G to what the current 4G range costs, but rather I'm tied to the pricing and will be swapping the server for a new 16G.

So yeah, chill...

Thelen
27-07-2013, 08:50
Quote Originally Posted by Tz-OVH
Ordered a new KS-2G, but not happy about the fact that my 2 month old 4G is now costing me the same as a new 16G, but I guess in the long run we're getting better value.
Wow, just wow. You people really have no concept of value changing over time.

I guess you also go buy a new PC and then ***** a month later when the price for it all is 20% less, or a new graphics card comes out that costs the same but is 50% better?

wow.

Tz-OVH
26-07-2013, 20:43
Ordered a new KS-2G, but not happy about the fact that my 2 month old 4G is now costing me the same as a new 16G, but I guess in the long run we're getting better value.

elcct
26-07-2013, 20:30
Well you'd be one of the few where the traffic counting actually worked (i guess maybe you have one of the older servers?).

seedroots for example had thousands of kimsufi 2g (old ones) apparently, with the bandwidth being far more than 5TB each (pretty lol posts on WHT and places about that, the owner reasoned he could use 200Gbps because he bought 2k servers x100Mbps each. lol..)
It is not a customer problem.

I had over 10 kimsufi 2g as i needed 1gbps bandwidth and i was paying if server usage went above 5TB.

I can't really see how you can blame a customer here. They paid what's been on offer and used.

Thelen
26-07-2013, 13:21
Quote Originally Posted by elcct
How come? As far as i remember i always could see how much traffic i have used and when i exceeded the limit i was limited to 10mbps. Also bear in mind that if you get something and you don't pay it is a thievery and you can involve Police or other stuff to get money back.
Well you'd be one of the few where the traffic counting actually worked (i guess maybe you have one of the older servers?).

seedroots for example had thousands of kimsufi 2g (old ones) apparently, with the bandwidth being far more than 5TB each (pretty lol posts on WHT and places about that, the owner reasoned he could use 200Gbps because he bought 2k servers x100Mbps each. lol..)

elcct
26-07-2013, 12:32
Except they didn't, mostly because OVH was unable to account for the usage, but stealing from a house unlocked is still stealing. It might be easier to blame the customer, but the reality is in every situation the customer KNEW they were using a loophole, so then it is in fact 100% the customers fault.

I can paste chat logs and tens/hundreds of forum posts of evidence of this..
How come? As far as i remember i always could see how much traffic i have used and when i exceeded the limit i was limited to 10mbps. Also bear in mind that if you get something and you don't pay it is a thievery and you can involve Police or other stuff to get money back.

Thelen
26-07-2013, 09:00
Quote Originally Posted by 3r1c
I was one of the top 30 who got capped and moved my business elsewhere.
I think OVH actually think the top 30 were going to pay those crazy prices, and instead all leave OVH with thousands of servers which are probably now sitting idle, so OVH reverse the decision and try to get these customers back.

I was not an abuser, I used only 100mbps unmetered series servers.
I am not one of the abusers who were buying 40TB 10gbps servers and using hundreds of TB without paying extra.

Even with the new OVH offers, the servers I got at the other provider are still better and cheaper so I don't regret the move.
OVH wouldn't have expected people to pay really, the issue was likely more about how 50% of their network was tied to so small number of customers, and the prices were hardly crazy they are cheaper than any other retail provider and most wholesale.

Maybe you weren't an abuser and just got caught up in it, if not good for you you'd be one of the few who weren't abusing them.

I'm sure the servers at other provider are cheaper, apples to oranges though.

Abusing? If you have used extra traffic you had to pay for it. It's hardly an abuse, but rather miscalculation at OVH... but of course it is easier to blame customer for their own fault.
Except they didn't, mostly because OVH was unable to account for the usage, but stealing from a house unlocked is still stealing. It might be easier to blame the customer, but the reality is in every situation the customer KNEW they were using a loophole, so then it is in fact 100% the customers fault.

I can paste chat logs and tens/hundreds of forum posts of evidence of this..

Kacotet
25-07-2013, 14:30
http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_serve....xml#bandwidth needs updating.

macole111
25-07-2013, 14:25
Might well change my old Kimi 16G to this, cheaper and faster... A lot faster and with 'proper' support.

It is just a faf to move everything but possible I suppose.

-macole111

Andy
25-07-2013, 13:21
I'm pretty happy with this change too. I may consider changing my existing single server to two mSP's as it works out a few quid cheaper but with a LOT more spec...

elcct
25-07-2013, 11:16
They only had to limit it over night because people were massively abusing their systems... in this scenario that won't be (as) possible, and therefore probably not.
Abusing? If you have used extra traffic you had to pay for it. It's hardly an abuse, but rather miscalculation at OVH... but of course it is easier to blame customer for their own fault.

3r1c
25-07-2013, 10:40
I'm loving all this, I was waiting for soemthing like this to happen once they kicked off those top 30 bandwidth customers who were not paying even 0.18GBP/mbps, so glad to see this has happened, and I get a big "i told you so" to the cheaters who have left and setup their own networks, who now will wish they hadn't
I was one of the top 30 who got capped and moved my business elsewhere.
I think OVH actually think the top 30 were going to pay those crazy prices, and instead all leave OVH with thousands of servers which are probably now sitting idle, so OVH reverse the decision and try to get these customers back.

I was not an abuser, I used only 100mbps unmetered series servers.
I am not one of the abusers who were buying 40TB 10gbps servers and using hundreds of TB without paying extra.

Even with the new OVH offers, the servers I got at the other provider are still better and cheaper so I don't regret the move.

I now only have one server at OVH, only because it is a customer server and paid €5000 setup fee (large server with many SSD), and even paying for 300mbps bandwidth is still cheaper then an equivalent server elsewhere.

Thelen
25-07-2013, 09:02
Good change, but i have already switched provider because of the limits you have introduced last year.

How long these will last? Is there any guarantee that you will not limit it overnight like you used to do?
They only had to limit it over night because people were massively abusing their systems... in this scenario that won't be (as) possible, and therefore probably not.

Thelen
25-07-2013, 08:37
Quote Originally Posted by xendatious
Is this only going to be for FR/UK, or BHS as well?
Only EU network upgraded, so I'd say no to BHS. At least maybe not for a few months till they upgrade all their links to coherent.

raxxeh
25-07-2013, 07:47
Well this is good news.

We were just about to leave OVH after the recent spat. But they automatically changed our server over and I am able to justify $300EUR for 1.5gbit.

Even going to get a miniSP server for testing.

xendatious
25-07-2013, 05:24
Is this only going to be for FR/UK, or BHS as well?

Thelen
25-07-2013, 04:23
Quote Originally Posted by 3r1c
Does this mean that I can use the server for streaming/file storage locker now without having to pay the extra bandwidth?

If so, how to do I remove the bandwidth option from my server.
Good question Looks like they removed the "streaming filelocker seedbox" page: http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_serve...ific_usage.xml https://www.ovh.ie/dedicated_servers...ific_usage.xml

Quote Originally Posted by turbanator
do the sp servers have 1Gbps ports that can push 1Gbps if needed and only guranteed 200Mbps or 200Mbps limit max.
Well if its the way it works now, its 200Mbps max limit. EDIT: Oh I see, its actually only 200Mbps internal and inbound as well, didn't notice that. Wonder if its a mistake, if not then the servers aren't quite as good as I originally thought :/

EDIT:
I'm loving all this, I was waiting for soemthing like this to happen once they kicked off those top 30 bandwidth customers who were not paying even 0.18GBP/mbps, so glad to see this has happened, and I get a big "i told you so" to the cheaters who have left and setup their own networks, who now will wish they hadn't

turbanator
25-07-2013, 01:56
do the sp servers have 1Gbps ports that can push 1Gbps if needed and only guranteed 200Mbps or 200Mbps limit max.

elcct
25-07-2013, 00:56
Good change, but i have already switched provider because of the limits you have introduced last year.

How long these will last? Is there any guarantee that you will not limit it overnight like you used to do?

turbanator
24-07-2013, 23:49
so the servers cant push beyond 200Mbps?

rickyday
24-07-2013, 23:44
Quote Originally Posted by turbanator
so the sp servers are now basically 200Mbps servers with 1Gbps port?
Yes and very reasonably priced looking at the new SP range and prices, I can see a lot of cancellations this month and people reordering new SP servers, I just hope there will be one for me on payday, when I cancel my two 8GB Kimis and replace them with one SP Mini

No brainer for me

turbanator
24-07-2013, 23:42
so the sp servers are now basically 200Mbps servers with 1Gbps port?

3r1c
24-07-2013, 19:52
Does this mean that I can use the server for streaming/file storage locker now without having to pay the extra bandwidth?

If so, how to do I remove the bandwidth option from my server.

S0phie
24-07-2013, 14:24
Quote Originally Posted by oles@ovh.net
We are updating our databases and the infrastructure, at the end of the day everything should be ready.
It includes all websites ;-) The UK one should be updated this afternoon

rickyday
24-07-2013, 14:22
Well this is marvellous news!

JakeMS
24-07-2013, 14:12
Quote Originally Posted by S0phie
Yes, this is for new and existing servers :-)
Nice! :-D.

Quote Originally Posted by dan
SP32G:

I don´t understand, why is incoming and OVH to OVH still limited to 100Mbps?

on the ovh.com/fr page (same server):

I think the website is still being updated. Just checked one of our servers and:

Bandwidth / Traffic
Network Connection: 1Gbps
Bandwidth type: Included
BW OVH/OVH: 1Gbps
BW OVH/Internet: 500 Mbps
BW Internet/OVH: 1Gbps
Traffic: unlimited
It now has more bandwidth, was previously 200 Mbps. It changed also, as 10 minutes prior it still said 200, refresh and it changed to 500 (Ironically, just after i created my previous post..) the other SP server still says 100, but it may not be updated yet.

I think give it a couple hours and everything should match up

dan
24-07-2013, 14:07
SP32G:

OVH to OVH 100 Mbps
Incoming (Internet to OVH) 100 Mbps
Outgoing (OVH to Internet) 200 Mbps
I don´t understand, why is incoming and OVH to OVH still limited to 100Mbps?

on the ovh.com/fr page (same server):

Interne (OVH vers OVH) 200 Mbps
Entrante (Internet vers OVH) 200 Mbps
Sortante (OVH vers Internet) 200 Mbps

S0phie
24-07-2013, 14:00
Quote Originally Posted by JakeMS
So, just wondering, does this affect existing servers? will they get their bandwidth upped to these limits?
Yes, this is for new and existing servers :-)

JakeMS
24-07-2013, 13:53
I don't understand french, but from what I can gather, each type of server now has more upload speed.

So, just wondering, does this affect existing servers? will they get their bandwidth upped to these limits?

Mark1978
24-07-2013, 12:44
tl;dr the network has improved therefore the limits on each server type have increased.

This is to the internet, non? What about internal traffic? Or traffic peered through a vrack firewall?

oles@ovh.net
24-07-2013, 12:38
Hello,

As previously announced, we've finished the heavy work on our network upgrade in Europe in order to push 5Tbps without problems. We've changed all transport infrastructure in Europe to switch to 100G coherent. The new Cisco ASR 9922 routers are connected. The new 10G/100G transit/peering have been connected. Basically, we worked like crazy for five months to upgrade our network.

The work is now finished so we can review the bandwidth included with each server, (both new and existing servers),
as follows:
- VPS: 100Mbps unlimited (No more TB Limit)
- KS: 100Mbps unlimited (No more TB Limit)
- SP: 200Mbps
- EG: 500Mbps
- MG:750Mbps
- mHG: 750Mbps
- HG: 1.5Gbps, 3Gbps optional for +£250
- Dedicated Cloud:1.5Gbps, 3Gbps optional for +£250

Let's calculate quickly: £0.18/Mbps server included (!)

There is no bandwidth limit per customer. There is no TB limitation per server per month. There is no restriction on the type of bandwidth usage. You do whatever you want, regardless of usage and number of servers.

We are updating our databases and the infrastructure to reflect these changes, everything should be ready by the end of the day.

Voilà. It's open bar

For more info:
http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/
http://www.kimsufi.co.uk

Regards,

Octave