OVH Community, your new community space.

Resale / 3 server limit

Trapper
31-07-2013, 09:59
I think "Resellers" is a bit of a red herring here.

It does not matter if a server is supplied directly to the end user, or through a reseller. Either way, the end user will eventually want "more" so will climb the ladder to an SP. Again it does not matter if this is done through a reseller, or directly.

I guess the real reason for the (now enforced) limit is to ensure we all get a chance to see these servers. Rather than a few customers buying them all up.

Even with this limit in place, the time it is taking to deliver these shows high demand. I suspect these rules are about the demand.

Another point about resellers is they are actually cheaper for OVH to deal with. End users will have questions, and if the server is supplied by a reseller, it is the reseller who fields the questions, and probably answers most without turning to OVH.

~Trap

rickyday
31-07-2013, 08:00
Once you have the customers with Kimsufi's that's the groundwork done, the job then for OVH is to get the customers to then spend more money with themselves, ideally getting them to upgrade to pro servers Get that average spend up!

bhanuprasad1981
31-07-2013, 05:26
atleast they should exclude KS4g and KS16g from quantity limit, ovh should seriously think of offering some low spec offers like with 2-4gb ram and 500gb hdd,most of my clients have small sites which dont even use 2gb ram and 10-15gb disk all they want is independent server with root access

JakeMS
31-07-2013, 05:05
Quote Originally Posted by xendatious
You seem awfully proud of your MBA.
If he earned it, then his allowed to be proud of it, everyone has a right to be proud of various achievements in life .

Quote Originally Posted by LawsHosting
So, am I right in saying a year or so down the line, Kimi's will be the thing of the past?

As, if OVH wants us to stop using them, why do OVH offer them for a couple of quid, hence more will be tempted to buy them. No? Is my logic flawed?
Well to be fair, this same argument was used by some people when OVH said they were going to restrict bandwidth.

Some at the time even said if ovh didn't want them to use it then say it.

Well, OVH have now come out and put it blatantly they do not want them to use it. So OVH in a way have only done as asked.

Besides, resellers more than likely have enough money to get a mSP and resell anyway, considering they could easily only order them upon receiving an order themselves.

I think these servers are targeted towards personal and non-reselling use because to be fair, they are not all "that" powerful, granted they are quite powerful, but OVH have much more powerful servers available where people who need more than 3 Kimi's could get much more power with less servers.

Just my 2c.

xendatious
31-07-2013, 04:07
Quote Originally Posted by Thelen
Anyway, that's my MBA/experience take on it, could be wrong but it is what I'd do in Octave's shoes.
You seem awfully proud of your MBA.

Thelen
31-07-2013, 03:03
Quote Originally Posted by RikT
its to gain more unique customers and also to do away with all the resellers is my guess
Yes, AND::::

Quote Originally Posted by LawsHosting
So, am I right in saying a year or so down the line, Kimi's will be the thing of the past?

As, if OVH wants us to stop using them, why do OVH offer them for a couple of quid, hence more will be tempted to buy them. No? Is my logic flawed?
Quote Originally Posted by K.Kode
I can see the point in building a customer base but refusing money for a product your selling anyway seems counter intuitive. it's not like the big resellers pay OVH any less than John Doe would. Money is money is money.
Re those 2 quotes, the difference is they know the resellers will hammer the servers whereas the John Doe's will be much nicer.

What they are really doing here is providing personal personal servers to people (geeks or not) for things liek traceroute blah blah, people that COULD just get a VPS with the same specs (well not really, but pretend you could), but prefer a dedicated server they can play around with.

And then they are also providing a stepping stone for small small business who don't want to fork out for a mSP (really 40euro isn't that much, but for a tiny business every bit counts).

It makes a lot of sense if you step back and remove seedboxes amongst other things from the equation. I think this is really just a large loss-leader to a degree, and the problem is if they let resellers buy them by the thousands, they won't be loss leaders, they be plain loss. The resellers will have no incentive to transition to something more expensive.

Anyway, that's my MBA/experience take on it, could be wrong but it is what I'd do in Octave's shoes.

K.Kode
30-07-2013, 20:35
I can see the point in building a customer base but refusing money for a product your selling anyway seems counter intuitive. it's not like the big resellers pay OVH any less than John Doe would. Money is money is money.

RikT
30-07-2013, 19:40
its to gain more unique customers and also to do away with all the resellers is my guess

LawsHosting
30-07-2013, 19:34
Quote Originally Posted by marks
The datacentre should be filled up with Pro servers, not kimsufis.

ebony
30-07-2013, 18:23
if you read the new APU/TOS

"5- The new KS range offers personal servers. As such, resale is forbidden and there is a limitation of 3 servers per physical or legal person. For this type of use, there is no need of more such servers, otherwise the customer has to upgrade to the SP range which is now particularly accessible. Also, KS is exclusively for residents of the EU only. For all other countries, ie outside Europe, we offer SP / EG / MG / HG."

Thelen
30-07-2013, 15:28
Quote Originally Posted by elcct
I still think the real reason is that OVH doesn't want people to get traffic for cheap. "3 servers max should be enough" reminds me of Bill Gates saying "640kB should be enough" Anyway lame excuse.
Well its either that or limit switchport to 10Mbit and customers can have as many as they want.

What do you think is in OVH best interests :P

elcct
30-07-2013, 14:03
Quote Originally Posted by xendatious
Actually bill gates never said that.

"I've said some stupid things and some wrong things, but not that. No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time … I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again. "
I know, but it can be interpreted like that from this:

"I have to say that in 1981, making those decisions, I felt like I was providing enough freedom for 10 years. That is, a move from 64k to 640k felt like something that would last a great deal of time. Well, it didn't - it took about only 6 years before people started to see that as a real problem."

xendatious
30-07-2013, 12:54
"3 servers max should be enough" reminds me of Bill Gates saying "640kB should be enough"
Actually bill gates never said that.

"I've said some stupid things and some wrong things, but not that. No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time … I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There's never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again. "

elcct
30-07-2013, 12:40
Quote Originally Posted by marks
kimsufi server are personal server or for test OVH's services or similar things. So, 3 servers max per customer is to match this purpose.

After that, you have a very cheap miniSP from £32.99, so you can start implementing your business solutions/projects from there.

The datacentre should be filled up with Pro servers, not kimsufis, though this kimsufi new range will surely give quite a starting push to the firsts rooms in the datacentre.
I still think the real reason is that OVH doesn't want people to get traffic for cheap. "3 servers max should be enough" reminds me of Bill Gates saying "640kB should be enough" Anyway lame excuse.

marks
30-07-2013, 12:27
kimsufi server are personal server or for test OVH's services or similar things. So, 3 servers max per customer is to match this purpose.

After that, you have a very cheap miniSP from £32.99, so you can start implementing your business solutions/projects from there.

The datacentre should be filled up with Pro servers, not kimsufis, though this kimsufi new range will surely give quite a starting push to the firsts rooms in the datacentre.

Paul0130
30-07-2013, 11:55
Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaz
With respect, your logic is retarded, the reason the limits have been imposed is so that people CAN'T get a couple of grands worth.
Ok well if my logic is retarded, so is the Company imposing the limit. A limit of 3 to stop me getting a couple grands worth??? lol so you explain how a 3 server limit can compare?

Sheesh, a limit of 10 would be better if that was the case.

More like the realistic reason being, why fill a datacenter and racks with cheapo servers, that won't pay the bills.

Mix and match, high priced servers and lower priced, pays the bills. That's logic.

DigitalDaz
30-07-2013, 09:31
Quote Originally Posted by Paul0130
A decent one paying £150+ a month for a single server, with plenty others, even paying £30 a month for the old style KS, they are decent for certain things and these small servers are very ideal for storing backups off site.

Well I already use a lot of it and payout over 2 thousand pound a month for it, I dont expect limits when I am paying a company all this money.
With respect, your logic is retarded, the reason the limits have been imposed is so that people CAN'T get a couple of grands worth.

Thelen
30-07-2013, 07:43
A decent one paying £150+ a month for a single server, with plenty others, even paying £30 a month for the old style KS, they are decent for certain things and these small servers are very ideal for storing backups off site.

Well I already use a lot of it and payout over 2 thousand pound a month for it, I dont expect limits when I am paying a company all this money.
2k is nothing. Not even drop in bucket. 2k gets you 1 maybe 2 servers at any business enterprise grade host.

Paul0130
30-07-2013, 06:40
that and numerous other non PERSONAL uses.

Yes, OVH SP EG ETC range is unlimited still.

well then a) you'd be one of the few, b) i wonder what sort of business you are running that you take the risk of running it from servers that cost less than a takeaway meal, and c) sure they do, but that is what the SP and above range is for. its clear that OVH wants these to be used for personal or non-critical services, and if someone wants to use it for other purposes, including professional, then OVH is just asking that you use their professional range of servers..

JakeMS
30-07-2013, 01:46
Quote Originally Posted by raxxeh
Human nature to complain about everything. Even I'm having a whine that I haven't got my server yet, and others that ordered days after me do.

First world problems indeed.
Am I the only one who is not complaining about something or other?

Perhaps I should find something to complain about

raxxeh
30-07-2013, 00:26
Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaz
Its not long ago everyone was wishing we could have the pro option back on the Kimis. Well now we have it, its just called an mSP and its had a couple more good options thrown in
Human nature to complain about everything. Even I'm having a whine that I haven't got my server yet, and others that ordered days after me do.

First world problems indeed.

DigitalDaz
30-07-2013, 00:16
I can't fathom what everyone is whinging about.

So now we can only get the 16G Kimi with one IP address??

Who gives a toss, now we can get an mSP with twice the RAM that the biggest Kimi has and less than the price the biggest Kimi was two weeks ago, plus its has a gig connection, plus we have the SLAs etc.

Its not long ago everyone was wishing we could have the pro option back on the Kimis. Well now we have it, its just called an mSP and its had a couple more good options thrown in

LawsHosting
29-07-2013, 23:35
its clear that OVH wants these to be used for personal or non-critical services, and if someone wants to use it for other purposes, including professional
Then Kimi's should be 2gig ram, 250gb hdd, dual cpu..... that's what I call a bare-minimum personal server..... if they'd gone this way, then, either, 1. lose customers who want the moon on a stick for a few quid, or 2. loyal customers will attempt to buy the "real" OVH servers.

But that's my view on Kimi's.... and yes, I do have the old Kimi's for professional use (with pro option)...

I was gutted to see these new ranges of Kimi's, lack of IPs mainly, but as I've only had one major issue with OVH since 2009, I will be tempted to get the pro servers when needed.

That is all

Thelen
29-07-2013, 22:48
I think the limit exists so people don't buy like 100 of this servers and use them as a reverse proxy for content delivery. That way you can get 10gbit of traffic for peanuts.
that and numerous other non PERSONAL uses.

Quote Originally Posted by hfalz
is the limit just on Kimsufis?
Yes, OVH SP EG ETC range is unlimited still.

Actually we use quite a few of the KS16G for business purposes so get your facts right... dim bob we even have some of their top line £200 a month servers...

And FYI - Plenty of people like to buy them via resellers, because they offer management and support....
well then a) you'd be one of the few, b) i wonder what sort of business you are running that you take the risk of running it from servers that cost less than a takeaway meal, and c) sure they do, but that is what the SP and above range is for. its clear that OVH wants these to be used for personal or non-critical services, and if someone wants to use it for other purposes, including professional, then OVH is just asking that you use their professional range of servers..

Paul0130
29-07-2013, 15:54
boo hoo :P

they are PERSONAL servers, you aren't using them personally you're reselling them (in one form or another), hence they are limiting it to 3 per customer because they don't want them all snapped up by resellers like you, they want them snapped up 1-3 at a time by legit home users or small businesses to use for their own needs not resold needs.

aye, hell for 6 years they've technically had a standing policy of max 2 new servers per customer per month, including even OVH servers like MG, though they never enforced that either.
Actually we use quite a few of the KS16G for business purposes so get your facts right... dim bob we even have some of their top line £200 a month servers...

And FYI - Plenty of people like to buy them via resellers, because they offer management and support....

hfalz
29-07-2013, 14:47
is the limit just on Kimsufis?

elcct
29-07-2013, 13:43
I think the limit exists so people don't buy like 100 of this servers and use them as a reverse proxy for content delivery. That way you can get 10gbit of traffic for peanuts.

Thelen
29-07-2013, 07:36
boo hoo :P

they are PERSONAL servers, you aren't using them personally you're reselling them (in one form or another), hence they are limiting it to 3 per customer because they don't want them all snapped up by resellers like you, they want them snapped up 1-3 at a time by legit home users or small businesses to use for their own needs not resold needs.

Quote Originally Posted by cartwright118
There has always been a limit of 3 servers per customer over the entire range if you aren't paying 12 months up front. However, I don't think they've ever really enforced it.
aye, hell for 6 years they've technically had a standing policy of max 2 new servers per customer per month, including even OVH servers like MG, though they never enforced that either.

cartwright118
29-07-2013, 07:34
There has always been a limit of 3 servers per customer over the entire range if you aren't paying 12 months up front. However, I don't think they've ever really enforced it. Until now?

Paul0130
28-07-2013, 20:11
So this sucks, yes big style.

We have a ton of your older priced kimsufis, I ordered 3 anyway of the £3 servers for personal use the price was a get me one.

So you put this term in later after I already ordered.

So I only can assume I can order 3 more before I hit my limit? What about my old kimsufis, are you saying I will not be able to renew them!!??

I dont just buy your cheap £3 servers, we get the 16g alot of the time, so your saying I can only have 3 being a legitimate non spamming customer?