OVH Community, your new community space.

Windows Server Slow?

rickyday
14-08-2008, 21:49
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Its the way Windows handles the TCP/IP stack. Its simply not as optimised as Linux is. If you know anything about TCP/IP you can edit the values to make it just as optimised as Linux. Unfortunately I haven't needed to change anything so far so I don't know what to change. It is something worth investigating though.

It should be noted that my HTTP server seems to be very unoptimised. I can pull about 350KB/s from it via HTTP but over FTP I can get 980KB/s or so.
I owe you an apology Andy
Ive just installed Ubuntu, and hosted some test files (thanks Pete) and the speed is maxing out my 20MB connection.

You were spot on, now does anyone know how to optimise server 2003 std so its not slow.....

many thanks

Rik

Aund
13-08-2008, 19:34
hey man i have been haveing very same prolem as you my mate was transfering data from his ovh box to mine and was only getting 2mb/s

rickyday
13-08-2008, 19:16
Thanks for the quick reply Andy, im really not convinced that the problem is due to Windows IP stack, If im downloading from my server, I should be hitting more than 5/600KB/s on a 20MB line, even from a Windows server, i mean when running a FTP or HTTP site on the internal LAN there certainly arent any problems so not a problem with TCP/IP stack in my opinion as surely this would affect performance on LAN?

Hmm bit more research needed here

Andy
13-08-2008, 19:05
Its the way Windows handles the TCP/IP stack. Its simply not as optimised as Linux is. If you know anything about TCP/IP you can edit the values to make it just as optimised as Linux. Unfortunately I haven't needed to change anything so far so I don't know what to change. It is something worth investigating though.

It should be noted that my HTTP server seems to be very unoptimised. I can pull about 350KB/s from it via HTTP but over FTP I can get 980KB/s or so.

rickyday
13-08-2008, 19:01
Why are windows servers slower than Linux ones?

Theres simply no reason for this as far as i can see, i never got anywhere near full speed from my server or Andys on my VM 20MB Line, I should be getting more than 600K, yet I download from another friends OVH server using nix and it virtually maxes out my connection (2MB/s+), and hes only on a £20 server, whereas im on a £60 job. Ive used all different protocols, Bit Torrent, FTP and HTTP and its the same with all the Windows servers ive tried.

Why are W2K3 servers slower?

I have installed the latest nic drivers, but that IS NOT the problem as speeds are the same no matter which driver I use.

Ta