OVH Community, your new community space.

ISPconfig or Plesk?

szisti
07-08-2013, 17:40
I've had my testing on this last few weeks
work out the best tool which allows me to add new site / domain easy & allow the "client" (which means non paying friends) to add extra emails or change passwords

I've decided to go with plesk as it's free for 30 domain (thanks OVH)
I've tried a few free ones, but did not like them enough, and will not pay 25 a month for cPanel when the server is 33

macole111
06-08-2013, 16:50
Webmin won't let you install web packages etc, it'll just help you to configure the underlying services (Apache, MySQL etc)

I have used it in combination with Plesk an a client's server before - for the stuff the Plesk won't do.

-macole111

cartwright118
06-08-2013, 12:36
I use plesk over cpanel, due to cost. However, if cpanel was cheaper I would use that.

Only ever used ISPConfig once a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed. However, it was free.

Webmin is awesome, but only if you don't plan to give access to customers. If you are the only user then webmin is also okay. Very technical, lacks a nice GUI.

ctype_alnum
06-08-2013, 12:09
I'd go for plesk over ispconfig even though plesk has its quirks. You'll find it a lot nicer to use etc. If you are getting a server with it pre installed then you can't really go wrong.

jadrake
06-08-2013, 10:38
I don't plan on reselling, just hosting a small number of sites. I'm the only one who will be using the control panel.

raxxeh
05-08-2013, 23:56
Quote Originally Posted by jadrake
Hi all,

I'm about to purchase a VPS from OVH (having been with EUKHOST for a number of years) and was wondering what the opinions were on using ISPconfig and Plesk?

I've been a cPanel user for years, but consider the monthly cost prohibitive. What do people think are the pros and cons for the above control panels? Is Plesk worth the monthly cost, or can it all be done as easily with ISPconfig?

Cheers,

Adam
I also am a cpanel user; but will be moving to ispconfig this month.

I don't resell however; and I do most installations manually anyway.

jadrake
05-08-2013, 18:56
Installing Joomla, Wordpress, Moodle
Configuring email addresses
Accessing mySQL databases
Adding/moving/deleting individual files
Uploading via FTP

That sort of thing.

macole111
05-08-2013, 18:17
I used webmin when I used Linux servers (I am a Windows man) - does most things.

What sort of applications will you be running?

-macole111

jadrake
05-08-2013, 17:38
Hi all,

I'm about to purchase a VPS from OVH (having been with EUKHOST for a number of years) and was wondering what the opinions were on using ISPconfig and Plesk?

I've been a cPanel user for years, but consider the monthly cost prohibitive. What do people think are the pros and cons for the above control panels? Is Plesk worth the monthly cost, or can it all be done as easily with ISPconfig?

Cheers,

Adam