OVH Community, your new community space.

Linux mSP > Windows

rickyday
06-08-2013, 20:21
Quote Originally Posted by Ollie_
Yeah, I'm used to 2008 but I will play around with 2012 on a VM for the next hour or two to see which I prefer, no doubt I will go with something newer but there's always the possibility of disappointment from Microsoft as I've seen in the past, maybe they've learnt from the mistakes though.
Need any assistance Ollie feel free to contact me anytime mate.

Ollie_
06-08-2013, 20:03
Quote Originally Posted by rickyday
Ollie if you aren't sure if you want to make the big leap, why not install 2012 in a VM?

You will see big improvements in the deployment and manageability areas.
Big improvements in Hyper V Virtualisation, version in 2012 is great improved than previous server releases. (Hyper V Replica is extremely impressive as is Live Migration now)
Storage Spaces is another extremely good feature for organising pools of drives and optional resiliency through mirroring or striping

There are over 300 extra features in WS2012, DHCP Failover, NIC Teaming, SMB 3, Data Deduplication, Direct Access, there are many many features, but I wont bore you any longer

Oh and lets not forget Powershell 3.0
Yeah, I'm used to 2008 but I will play around with 2012 on a VM for the next hour or two to see which I prefer, no doubt I will go with something newer but there's always the possibility of disappointment from Microsoft as I've seen in the past, maybe they've learnt from the mistakes though.

rickyday
06-08-2013, 19:33

You are real breath of fresh air Bambi we need more users like you!

Youre making a great impression sunshine keep it up!

Bambooz
06-08-2013, 19:17
Quote Originally Posted by rickyday
Ollie if you aren't sure if you want to make the big leap, why not install 2012 in a VM?
Proof that you don't even read the posts and continue spamming instead of adding stuff to your original post via editing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambooz
You can grab a 180 day trial of Server 2012 from MS here if you want to take a look at it locally (in a VM or something)

rickyday
06-08-2013, 19:13
Anyone using Windows Server operating systems might like to check out this completely free online learning resource from Microsoft, it really is very good and you never know who you might meet there

www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com

macole111
06-08-2013, 19:09
If your Dreamspark key doesn't activate, a quick free phone call to MS using a dialogue presented by running:

slui 4
Will fix everything...

-macole111

P.S I use 2008 R2 and 2012 servers, 2012 wins by a mile. As does Win 8 - I wish people would try it before hating on it, you can make it look like 7 and it is much faster.

rickyday
06-08-2013, 19:00

You will see big improvements in the deployment and manageability areas.
Big improvements in Hyper V Virtualisation, version in 2012 is great improved than previous server releases. (Hyper V Replica is extremely impressive as is Live Migration now)
Storage Spaces is another extremely good feature for organising pools of drives and optional resiliency through mirroring or striping

There are over 300 extra features in WS2012, DHCP Failover, NIC Teaming, SMB 3, Data Deduplication, Direct Access, there are many many features, but I wont bore you any longer

Oh and lets not forget Powershell 3.0

rickyday
06-08-2013, 18:41
Have you finished with your fanboy-talk that sounds like it's paid for?
Thanks for your valuable input Bambi opps sorry I mean Bambooz!

Bambooz
06-08-2013, 18:38
Have you finished with your fanboy-talk that sounds like it's paid for?

rickyday
06-08-2013, 18:37
Also if you plan on using virtualisation on this server the new Hyper V included with 2012 is a real improvement over the previous efforts from Microsoft.

It all depends what you want to do with the server Ollie and whether or not you are prepared to relearn a little, or whether you are a fossil stuck in your ways and refuse to accept any change in your life

Also don't forget if you don't like the interface you can remove the GUI, or if the server is going to be solely for virtualisation purposes you can use Hyper V Server 2012 (if OVH have rectified the issues and added that version to the OS install manager)

I mentioned it in a thread but don't believe its been corrected yet as OVH are a little busy with a few servers at the moment lol

rickyday
06-08-2013, 18:33
Server 2012 Ollie, its the biggest server operating system ever released from Microsoft, the sheer amount of extra features and new technology make it a no brainer.

Do a simple search for reviews and most respected IT Pro reviewers will agree.

Some amazing new features, just be careful with compatibility as a few people with OVH servers have had some issues.

I have 2 KS 8G servers and it runs flawlessly on them.

People that wont like it are the "old windows" fans and people that don't like the new single pane of glass interface.

Its a brilliant release from Microsoft though, and a massive step into the cloud and right direction but hey I am biased

Bambooz
06-08-2013, 18:17
What version of windows server would you suggest, I've got keys for both 2008 R2 and 2012, previously only used 2008 on other servers, wondering if it's worth installing 2012?
It's a personal preference thing. Personally, I'm sticking with 2008 R2 (Win7), as Server 2012 (much like Win8 it's based on) is IMHO a huuuge step... into the wrong direction.

You can grab a 180 day trial of Server 2012 from MS here if you want to take a look at it locally (in a VM or something)

rickyday
06-08-2013, 18:04
Microsoft licensing officially states you cannot use a Dreamspark license on a dedicated server in a datacentre it has to be a SPLA license.

It will work though

If anyone is bored here is the EULA for Dreamspark

https://www.dreamspark.com/Institution/DS-EULA.aspx

Ollie_
06-08-2013, 17:57
Just keep in mind that Dreamspark licenses/keys will only activate once..
(MAK Key with remaining counter set to "1")

So once you've activated a windows install with your own key, that's it.
That shouldn't be a problem for me as this mSP from what I've heard and seen looks promising.

What version of windows server would you suggest, I've got keys for both 2008 R2 and 2012, previously only used 2008 on other servers, wondering if it's worth installing 2012?

Bambooz
06-08-2013, 17:52
Yeah, I edited my above post. I have just realized that my account at DreamSpark is still active so that's always a good thing!

Thanks, Ollie.
Just keep in mind that Dreamspark licenses/keys will only activate once..
(MAK Key with remaining counter set to "1")

So once you've activated a windows install with your own key, that's it.

macole111
06-08-2013, 17:50
I believe BizSpark licences work also - could be useful for small firms here.

-macole111

Ollie_
06-08-2013, 17:47
If you don't have your own License/Key assigned to a server in the manager and reinstall a server with windows, you'll automatically rent a license from OVH on a monthly basis.
At least that's how it's supposed to work.
Yeah, I edited my above post. I have just realized that my account at DreamSpark is still active so that's always a good thing!

Thanks, Ollie.

Bambooz
06-08-2013, 17:45
If you don't have your own License/Key assigned to a server in the manager and reinstall a server with windows, you'll automatically rent a license from OVH on a monthly basis.
At least that's how it's supposed to work (I think?)

Ollie_
06-08-2013, 17:41
Quote Originally Posted by JaiRagwani
Oles has said on his twitter that 80% will be delivered on Friday, as many of the servers have been built but they are just waiting on the 1G switches to arrive.
Thanks for the help, I just noticed that some people have asked for a temporary 100mbit line while we wait for the 1G switches, going to ask for that to be setup for me.

Screenshots are from my baby-kimsufi, but it should be pretty much the same for the mSP (as it's a manager thing).

Server 2008 = Vista based
Server 2008 R2 = Win 7 based
Server 2012 = Win 8 based

Tip: If you have access to Dreamspark/Websitespark/Dreamspark Premium (formerly MSDNAA), you can use a Windows Key/License from there rather than renting a license from OVH when reinstalling a server with windows.
There's an option in the "Services -> Windows licenses" part of the manager to assign your own License(s) to your server(s).
Looks very clean and easy, the only problem I have is getting the licence key.

EDIT: never mind, it seems my student account at DreamSpark is still valid! Future is looking promising!

Bambooz
06-08-2013, 17:04
Screenshots are from my baby-kimsufi, but it should be pretty much the same for the mSP (as it's a manager thing).

Server 2008 = Vista based
Server 2008 R2 = Win 7 based
Server 2012 = Win 8 based

Tip: If you have access to Dreamspark/Websitespark/Dreamspark Premium (formerly MSDNAA), you can use a Windows Key/License from there rather than renting a license from OVH when reinstalling a server with windows.
There's an option in the "Services -> Windows licenses" part of the manager to assign your own License(s) to your server(s).

JaiRagwani
06-08-2013, 16:57
Oles has said on his twitter that 80% will be delivered on Friday, as many of the servers have been built but they are just waiting on the 1G switches to arrive.

Ollie_
06-08-2013, 16:56
Quote Originally Posted by macole111
OVH are good with moving OSs, although they install Windows with a load of crap.

Just uninstall everything when you get it.

-macole111
Thanks for the tips mate.

Does anybody know anything about the backlog and how far they have got?

macole111
06-08-2013, 16:52
OVH are good with moving OSs, although they install Windows with a load of crap.

Just uninstall everything when you get it.

-macole111

Ollie_
06-08-2013, 16:39
Quote Originally Posted by JaiRagwani
Yes, you can do a reinstall in your manager whenever you want/need to.
Brilliant, thank you for the quick reply just curious and waiting for my server to be setup!

Thanks, Ollie.

JaiRagwani
06-08-2013, 16:38
Yes, you can do a reinstall in your manager whenever you want/need to.

Ollie_
06-08-2013, 16:35
I have purchased a linux mSP but in the future I may want to use windows, is it possible to switch to windows in the future? (obviously paying more)