OVH Community, your new community space.

1Gbps down to 200Mbit - Now 500Mbit

DaveP
20-09-2013, 16:58
Once again..........I've re-opened the ticket asking someone from OVH to clarify the exact limitations and how they guarantee the bandwidth.

Andy
01-09-2013, 16:29
For the amount that OVH is getting perhaps, but on a smaller scale it's more expensive of course. That will be why most DC's bandwidth is more expensive.

Thelen
01-09-2013, 14:26
Uhm dunno who you're talking to, but bandwidth is a lot less than that even from the top of tier 1 (level3, telia, ntt), for flat rate commits at the levels OVH is reaching (>5x10Gbps) and long-term contracts it is more like 1GBP/Mbps, and for the rest of tier1 and tier2 that OVH has, down to half that (like cogent, .4GBP/Mbps).

But yea, the key to OVH network is definitely their intelligent peering across EU.

Andy
30-08-2013, 17:45
No but at least you know where you stand for the time being. And at the end of the day the way I see it is if you need more than 1Gbps guaranteed then you're in the wrong place anyway. OVH have had a habit of changing their minds on bandwidth a lot over the years. It wouldn't surprise me if they went back on their recent unlimited idea too.

Bandwidth is expensive. You're talking £4/Mbps from a good carrier for dedicated bandwidth. OVH can't do that any cheaper without peering agreements which is the only way they have managed to offer such a huge amount of bandwidth for so little.

DaveP
30-08-2013, 17:43
I don't like to assume anything, assumptions are the mother of all f...u..

Andy
30-08-2013, 17:23
The best way to do it is just assume the maximum you're going to get is the Internet > OVH value. Problem solved.

DaveP
30-08-2013, 17:22
I've re-opened the ticket asking someone from OVH to clarify the exact limitations and how they guarantee the bandwidth.

raxxeh
23-08-2013, 09:03
accurate for mine as well, and has a history of NOT doing much traffic.

Cannot break 1.5Gbit/s to the world, have no trouble doing 10gbit internally.

Have another 10gbit server on order; and I expect that to be exactly the same. The burst OVH talk about, is strictly internal.

Thelen
23-08-2013, 08:07
Quote Originally Posted by theatheist
Limited?
Well for a while I had 5xgbit servers doing 5gbit outbound, then they shaped to 200mbit each. this was loooooong before they made all the bandwidth changes in feb or whatever.

anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP
I don't know if there are differences between the different geographic markets but I have been told categorically that the servers are not limited to their respective bandwidth limits.
My testing shows otherwise, as posted earlier in this thread.

My 10Gbit is limited to 1.5gbit external ovh, i hit it up with 2xgbit servers, and wouldn't go beyond.. same with EG and SPs.. 500/200mbit max (sps 200mbit even internal).

Dunno how many times have to say it, but that guaranteed bandwidth is the max, at least for my account!

Gomjaba
22-08-2013, 16:10
I refrained myself heavily yesterday from posting in one of the many threads you have posted garbage in as I don't like to troll or impart my view on someone that I have no reason to reply to.........however...........since you have now decided to post here I shall have my say.

I took the time to read through your post history AndrewNylon (which I advise all others to do too, it's quite a funny read) and I was shocked at how you can consistently make stupid nonsensical posts one after another and not take anyone else's advice about shutting the heck up.

I only have to refer to the only thread you started to prove my point.

I have shown in this thread that I have had problems with the lack of communication from OVH and by which means they provide it and I also said that 'I' have to live with the fact. How you think a one line post saying they don't qualifies as constructive collaboration on a public forum I do not know.

I was going to ask why you think they don't....but I don't care and would like it if you would refrain from posting, unless you think (and please take a little more time to think before you reply) you have anything valuable and worth while to say.

If OVH have a problem with what I say about them I'm sure they'll let me know.
http://forum.ovh.co.uk/profile.php?do=ignorelist

AndrewNylon
21-08-2013, 20:15
I am so pleased to read your posts DaveP.

DaveP
21-08-2013, 18:55
I refrained myself heavily yesterday from posting in one of the many threads you have posted garbage in as I don't like to troll or impart my view on someone that I have no reason to reply to.........however...........since you have now decided to post here I shall have my say.

I took the time to read through your post history AndrewNylon (which I advise all others to do too, it's quite a funny read) and I was shocked at how you can consistently make stupid nonsensical posts one after another and not take anyone else's advice about shutting the heck up.

I only have to refer to the only thread you started to prove my point.

I have shown in this thread that I have had problems with the lack of communication from OVH and by which means they provide it and I also said that 'I' have to live with the fact. How you think a one line post saying they don't qualifies as constructive collaboration on a public forum I do not know.

I was going to ask why you think they don't....but I don't care and would like it if you would refrain from posting, unless you think (and please take a little more time to think before you reply) you have anything valuable and worth while to say.

If OVH have a problem with what I say about them I'm sure they'll let me know.

AndrewNylon
21-08-2013, 18:38
I don't know if there are differences between the different geographic markets but I have been told categorically that the servers are not limited to their respective bandwidth limits.

I have no way of proving anything contrary to the above which is what OVH say they want if I think I have a problem.

I'm not sure what I wanted out of this whole saga except for maybe OVH to say they will better communicate things in future............oh wait......they already said they would here, so......errr.......oh well.

They provide the best hardware at the best price but I just have to live with the fact they suck at communication and have no plans to get any better.
Yeah? OVH hardly suck at communication. You should see some of the other providers.

DaveP
21-08-2013, 18:37

I have no way of proving anything contrary to the above which is what OVH say they want if I think I have a problem.

I'm not sure what I wanted out of this whole saga except for maybe OVH to say they will better communicate things in future............oh wait......they already said they would here, so......errr.......oh well.

They provide the best hardware at the best price but I just have to live with the fact they suck at communication and have no plans to get any better.

theatheist
18-08-2013, 16:57
Quote Originally Posted by Thelen
so maybe it is different for UK or maybe different for accounts that haven't been 'limited' like mine.
Limited?

Thelen
18-08-2013, 15:58
Yep 99% sure now it isn't burstable and 99% sure based on the technology they are using that that is the case and always will be from now on.

DaveP
16-08-2013, 18:35
Yep well I dunno what they are saying, but from the testing I've done, I cannot do more than 200Mbit on mSP outbound, be it OVH -OVH, OVH - hetzner, etc.
[SUM] 0.0-10.1 sec 194 MBytes 161 Mbits/sec

But not quite the same with EG (500Mbit), I CAN do 1Gbit internal OVH:
[SUM] 0.0-10.2 sec 1.12 GBytes 942 Mbits/sec

but only 500Mbit external:
[SUM] 0.0-10.1 sec 568 MBytes 471 Mbits/sec
Great info, appreciate the testing as I'm sure others do.

I had a response from Neil with a ticket I raised, he mentioned also that he'll look at this thread and discuss with Oles.

My message and response:
Quote Originally Posted by Conversation
Hello

Thank you for your email. The EG and MG Servers both have 1Gbps network cards, the limitation is only on the out going bandwidth, EG Servers are limited to 500Mbps and MG Servers are 750Mbps, the out going is guaranteed to this amount.

I hope that answers your question, if not just reply to this email.

Kind Regards,

Neil

OVH.co.uk

> Hi,
>
> I have been told on the phone to you that none of the servers are throttled to their maximum bandwidth and that they can achieve higher speeds (OVH to Internet).
>
> In terms of bandwidth/connection what is the difference in terms of bandwidth management between the 500Mbps server range and the 750Mbps server range?
>
> I believe the servers come with 1Gbit network card so how can the 750Mbps server range be any better (in terms of bandwidth) if you don't throttle to each servers respective maximum bandwidth?
So Marks says it's burstable but Neil says it's limited which is also what Thelen's testing and others statements show.

loveorhate
16-08-2013, 15:44
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
I've just tweeted Oles directly, you may want to do the same. https://twitter.com/andrewwhyman/sta...89368364122112

Can you also tweet him and ask him about FS-24T delivery time?

I can download at Gigabit on my SBG mSP from OVH network to OVH

Thelen
16-08-2013, 15:36
Yep well I dunno what they are saying, but from the testing I've done, I cannot do more than 200Mbit on mSP outbound, be it OVH -OVH, OVH - hetzner, etc.
[SUM] 0.0-10.1 sec 194 MBytes 161 Mbits/sec

But not quite the same with EG (500Mbit), I CAN do 1Gbit internal OVH:
[SUM] 0.0-10.2 sec 1.12 GBytes 942 Mbits/sec

but only 500Mbit external:
[SUM] 0.0-10.1 sec 568 MBytes 471 Mbits/sec

DaveP
15-08-2013, 10:17
I've just done the same, Thanks Andy.

Andy
14-08-2013, 18:49
I've just tweeted Oles directly, you may want to do the same. https://twitter.com/andrewwhyman/sta...89368364122112

DaveP
14-08-2013, 14:23
None of my servers can burst, SP EG HG. The guaranteed I get is the max I get, though I do have a .com account not a .uk so maybe it is different for UK or maybe different for accounts that haven't been 'limited' like mine.
Well, OVH are very adamant that the 500Mbps they quote is only the guaranteed speed and all servers are free to use all of the 1Gbps network card.

In my eyes OVH are calling you a liar and everyone else who thinks they're capped to their respective maximum speed.

EDIT:
I phoned support today and spoke to marks, he said we were going round in circles and that I should email - after 15+ emails I sent I came to the conclusion that he's right, they're sending me in circles.

I sent the following as a support ticket:

Hi,

I have been told on the phone to you that none of the servers are throttled to their maximum bandwidth and that they can achieve higher speeds (OVH to Internet).

In terms of bandwidth/connection what is the difference in terms of bandwidth management between the 500Mbps server range and the 750Mbps server range?

I believe the servers come with 1Gbit network card so how can the 750Mbps server range be any better (in terms of bandwidth) if you don't throttle to each servers respective maximum bandwidth?

Thelen
14-08-2013, 03:58
If anyone has a server outside of OVH that is gigabit or more I don't mind using my own server to prove it can burst (if indeed that is the case of course).
None of my servers can burst, SP EG HG. The guaranteed I get is the max I get, though I do have a .com account not a .uk so maybe it is different for UK or maybe different for accounts that haven't been 'limited' like mine.

But yea its weird. Other people can burst to gbit, including on the new mSP, so I am starting to wonder what is going on at OVH, i thought the configurations would have been global and at the switch level :/

Andy
13-08-2013, 18:34
Well that's because there really are none. TCP/IP is a poor protocol in that respect because it has far too many factors that affect the speed. Unfortunately your best bet is to get someone with a server in another datacenter to perform a multiple connection test and see how it performs that way (assuming the network inbetween is capable of 1Gbps etc).

DaveP
13-08-2013, 18:10
I think my server is due for renewal in the next week for which I won't be renewing so I may very well just go ahead and shove a light desktop and browser on there and see how she performs.

I found a command line tool 'speedtest-cli' which looked OK initially but it has issues when reporting upload speed - typical eh.

I'm not surprised that OVH haven't posted what their methods are to be able to provide a burstable network speed above the guaranteed speed........but I am disappointed - I'm starting to believe that I (everyone) have been lied to.

raxxeh
13-08-2013, 03:13
All of the speedtests I've done won't go above 300Mbps but that's hardly surprising really. You'll be very hard pushed to find one that will because they always run single threaded. However I can say with certainty that it will go above 500Mbps because it does so on some speedtests briefly. Speedtests just don't sustain it for more than a split second.

If anyone has a server outside of OVH that is gigabit or more I don't mind using my own server to prove it can burst (if indeed that is the case of course).
Depending on how you feel about it, chuck VNC on if linux and install a simple browser and check amsterdams ookla speedtest server.

It uses at least 30 threads.

This is a HG server under decent load.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2897069081

I should mention that destination is only on gigabit, and that ookla don't allow reports over 1.0Gbit/s

Trapper
13-08-2013, 01:41
If anyone has a really popular torrent that should get to those speeds I could try it on that too.
Really popular and legal and large torrent? Try one of the Pi images...

~Trap

Andy
12-08-2013, 20:09
If anyone has a really popular torrent that should get to those speeds I could try it on that too.

Andy
12-08-2013, 20:08
All of the speedtests I've done won't go above 300Mbps but that's hardly surprising really. You'll be very hard pushed to find one that will because they always run single threaded. However I can say with certainty that it will go above 500Mbps because it does so on some speedtests briefly. Speedtests just don't sustain it for more than a split second.

DaveP
12-08-2013, 19:55
Thanks for the reply Andy.

I still want a statement from OVH regarding the this 'burstable' ability that no-one else seems to be able to prove or show that it's capable of being achieved ..........or playing devils advocate a post from someone showing that it is achievable.

Andy
12-08-2013, 19:35
@DaveP, yes OVH throttle connections at the switch to the specified speed allowed for your server. They keep the bandwidth guaranteed by not overloading the network, hence their recent upgrades which now means they have 5Tbps of capacity.

DaveP
12-08-2013, 18:45
It seems Myatu that I'm currently in the same frame of mind as you were back when you were posting your displeasure of OVH changing conditions of contract without due notice. I'm not sure why OVH think that changes like this are exempt from sections 3.2 of the contract, the connection speed makes up a fundamental part of the contract imo - the servers are even broken down on the dedicated servers homepage by connection speed.

Quoting Marks from the thread youmentioned http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3683

Quote Originally Posted by marks
For changes on the services/products that you would get in the future, we'll try to improve communication as much as we can. For the email notification, we'll be pass on to headquarters as we always do to be developed. But it doesn't depend on us. But we understand the advantages of it and we'll definitely be proposing as an interesting development.
What the heck happened OVH? Why haven't lessons been learned from last time?

....and I'm still waiting for clarification on the following questions:

OVH can you please confirm what you do to manage traffic while keeping your guaranteed bandwidth guaranteed? Do you limit or throttle down to 200Mbit, 500Mbit, 750Mbit & 1.5Gbps?

Myatu
12-08-2013, 14:24
It is not a futile expectation it is a contractual expectation as per their own contract and as far as I'm concerned it's a basic expectation that doesn't even need to be expressly written into the contract anyway - I'm just glad it is so I can post it here.
Like I said previously, OVH does announce it, but not in the way you expect them to.

I have pointed OVH out to the very same section of the T&Cs that you have just quoted a few years ago (see http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27724&postcount=3), and their response was:

what the T&C refer to contact by email on changes to your particular server (i.e.: we ever have to change the hardware,...). In that case, you'd be contacted.
If you agree with it or not, is a different matter. I don't agree with the method of OVH's announcements for things like these, and it appears that neither do you. But in Oles' words: C'est la vie.

DaveP
12-08-2013, 13:42
It is not a futile expectation it is a contractual expectation as per their own contract and as far as I'm concerned it's a basic expectation that doesn't even need to be expressly written into the contract anyway - I'm just glad it is so I can post it here.

3. Supplier's obligations
3.2 The Supplier reserves the right at any time and from time to time to amend, improve or correct the Services, Software and/or Hardware (or any part thereof) provided that such modification does not materially affect the Services, Software and/or Hardware (and any part thereof). This includes the right to substitute Hardware with hardware of similar specification, where necessary. The Supplier shall give reasonable notice of such modification by email.

All these changes are meant to be for the good of the network and customers so why wouldn't OVH want to shout about it.

Myatu
11-08-2013, 23:49
I agree with that as well. But for as long I've been with OVH, this hasn't been the case. The last "monthly" newsletter I received was in April, and before that was January. Whether they are eaten up by their own spam filters or simply aren't sent out, who knows... But hence the suggestion to check here instead, rather than a futile expectation of such a newsletter or announcements.

Andy
11-08-2013, 23:33
I agree with DaveP, we should be notified of these important changes by e-mail. Everyone should be getting them regularly regardless of opt-in/out because it's relevant to everybodies service. I wouldn't mind receiving them to keep me up to date. It's not like it costs OVH anything either.

DaveP
11-08-2013, 20:38
I appreciate your gesture of a helpful suggestion but I don't think I should be expected to check the forum for such changes.

An email would be acceptable in my opinion.

I'd still like a response from on OVH regarding my previous questions:

OVH can you please confirm what you do to manage traffic while keeping your guaranteed bandwidth guaranteed? Do you limit or throttle down to 200Mbit, 500Mbit, 750Mbit & 1.5Gbps?

Myatu
11-08-2013, 18:38
Thanks again for all the replies, much appreciated.

I just don't like being deceived and I don't like being kept in the dark with changes when I've signed a contract.

I would recommend checking the OVH forum at least once a week, particularly the "News" section. The "monthly" mailings seem sporadic at best, but this bandwidth topic has been announced in the forum on several occasions.

DaveP
11-08-2013, 11:45
Thanks again for all the replies, much appreciated.

I just don't like being deceived and I don't like being kept in the dark with changes when I've signed a contract.

raxxeh
11-08-2013, 02:03
Quote Originally Posted by gueriLLaPunkMoB
I've had my EG Max since 2010 and I noticed in my control panel that I'm also guaranteed 500Mbps OVH to Internet.

But what you're saying is that I "could" go up to 1Gbps to Internet?
No.

HG server, 1.5gbit, http://weathermap.ovh.net/hg n5-13.248/249, fex102.

It never goes above 10%, and I never, not once, since the changes, have I seen in excess of 1.50gbit externally.

I do however, have no trouble peaking on internal traffic.

szisti
10-08-2013, 21:04
that supposed to mean that they have enough bandwidth and they can allocate 500Mbit to your server, while depending on other users, you might go above that

gueriLLaPunkMoB
10-08-2013, 18:45
I've had my EG Max since 2010 and I noticed in my control panel that I'm also guaranteed 500Mbps OVH to Internet.

But what you're saying is that I "could" go up to 1Gbps to Internet?

Thelen
10-08-2013, 11:56
Our EG were definitely capped to 200Mbit not so long ago, and similarly new mSP are definitely capped to 200Mbit outbound including internal.

I would have to test again, but I think based on my understanding of nexus 7k egress filtering it is seeming even if the network isn't saturated that you won't burst beyond 500Mbps, but marks is saying you can.. not sure to be honest who is correct either :/

keep in mind marks is a sales guy i think, not techy.. anyway, i'll test and see i guess

DaveP
08-08-2013, 13:44
Yea there is some problems with the burst changes, but really, a 1000/500Mbps server for 100 euro... If you want full 1gbit bidirectional just pay for 150 euro and get the mHG, or 750mbps MG, or some 100TB provider elsewhere for 150+ euro.

100 euro for 500mbps.. damn good deal.
....but really I have never said that it isn't a good deal. As I've stated I'm more bothered about changes taking place without being informed.

Yes it is done on the routers, and you can't burst above it outbound, though you can use the full gbit inbound and internal upload to other OVH server.

And yea its how they did it a while back.
You can go above that, as the network card is 1Gbps, but that is not guaranteed. We cannot call it burstable either, as that would be "guaranteed burstable", and it's not the case.
Not sure who is correct.....

Marks are you saying that the server is not limited at the router? Is it just a case of working out what the minimum speed will be for customers depending on your total bandwidth and then guaranteeing it?

If the network is saturated do you limit users/servers down to their limit?

marks
08-08-2013, 12:01
with the new contract that includes bandwidth changes, the DDoS, the ks conditions and others, due to arrive in a few weeks, the bandwidth will turn to the new specs described here:

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showpost.php?p=46522&postcount=1

the new bandwidth regime is Type: guaranteed. So the maximum bandwidth that we guarantee for EG server (as an example) is 500Mbps "OVH to Internet".

You can go above that, as the network card is 1Gbps, but that is not guaranteed. We cannot call it burstable either, as that would be "guaranteed burstable", and it's not the case.

hope it's more clear now. As most people has said, this makes everyone really better off, no one really loses in practical terms.

Thelen
08-08-2013, 09:45
Yea there is some problems with the burst changes, but really, a 1000/500Mbps server for 100 euro... If you want full 1gbit bidirectional just pay for 150 euro and get the mHG, or 750mbps MG, or some 100TB provider elsewhere for 150+ euro.

100 euro for 500mbps.. damn good deal.

DaveP
07-08-2013, 23:31
That's exactly what OVH keep touting to me too:

"With 500Mbps guaranteed per month, you can have up to 162TB per month."

I chose 1Gbps because that's what I wanted and to not be informed of any changes is what I'm most bothered about.

I never came close to the previous 20TB cap and will certainly not be looking to subject my server or OVH's network to try and download 162TB in a month.

I would of been happier with a lower cap to be frank, I've always believed in quality (girth) over quantity (length)

Andy
07-08-2013, 16:25
It doesn't matter much either way as everyone still wins from this change. You can push more TB's a month than you could before by a lot more, even if you lose some burstable capacity.

Mark1978
07-08-2013, 15:07
Used to be they would limit on terms of the number of Tb transferred per month. But now it's speed limited instead.

Thelen
07-08-2013, 10:20
Yes it is done on the routers, and you can't burst above it outbound, though you can use the full gbit inbound and internal upload to other OVH server.

And yea its how they did it a while back.

DaveP
06-08-2013, 20:31
Thanks for the replies guys.

Do you know whether this is in operation currently?.... and if when they decreased speeds originally this is how it was achieved also?

rickyday
06-08-2013, 20:28
how OVH limit the connection/route to 500Mbit?
I believe the limit is set at router level.

I am sure there are much more in the know people that can explain exactly how this is achieved.

DaveP
06-08-2013, 20:25
I'm being told that the speed achievable is 1Gbps but they guarantee 500Mbit, the person I spoke to described it as burstable.

Do you know if this is correct and if not how OVH limit the connection/route to 500Mbit?

Tz-OVH
06-08-2013, 20:03
Well, they say Guaranteed, that means ideally you should be able to achieve these speeds at all times of the day.

Your NIC is connected at 1 Gigabit, but the 500mbit is your maximum achievable speed on that particular route.

DaveP
06-08-2013, 19:23
Hi all,

With all the changes that have taken place recently I'm just trying to work out where I stand.

When I originally purchased my server just over a year ago it was sold with 1Gbps connection (OVH to Internet).

It's only recently I discovered that the bandwidth on my manager screen said 500Mbit and after doing more checking it turns out it may have been on 200Mbit in the past too (as far as I know).

OVH tell me on the phone that I now have 500Mbit guaranteed and the rest is burstable up to 1Gbps, I was told that there is no such thing as a 500Mbit network card and that the server would use its 1Gbps link as much as the network will allow.

When I look at the offerings main page here http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/ I notice that it states maximum bandwidth as 500Mbit (which in my eyes means maximum) not burstable (and I assume burstable just means under contention with everything else when past 500Mbit).

I just want to know what exactly I'm paying for and wondered if anyone else has any info or a point of view on this matter/subject?