OVH Community, your new community space.

Is Professional use required?

sbedigital
09-08-2013, 22:22
I think OVH's stance on using professional option for IPs is not economical at all. Some needing less than 8 IPs will certainly be paying more than other competitors. You pay £15 per month then 42p ex. vat for each ip that works about £2.76 per IP per month incl. vat.

However ever if you are looking 16 or 32 IPs pro use is worth going for. Applying pro use for IP does ntreally make sense at all.

DigitalDaz
09-08-2013, 09:29
My understanding is this:

The servers all come with one single IP which could possibly be described as the standard IP.

You then have had the facility to order up to 3 failover IPs per server without needing professional usage.

Once you need more than this you are able to order a RIPE IP block, the size of which depends on the server range you have. In fact, it may be possible you could buy larger blocks and split them between servers, I can't remember.
In order to allocate RIPE IPs to a server you will need the professional option.

Then you have Oles new proposition of these kind of loyalty IPs. I can see to a certain extent the benefits if you know exactly how many IPs you need but otherwise it seems to me a little cloudy.

In order say to get 24 you would need to prepay for two years. Bearing in mind the server ranges usually change yearly and have some outstanding deals in the new ranges, this year being a good example, do you really want to be tying yourself up for anything more than a year?

Kode
09-08-2013, 08:14
Actually you would get 12 IPs as the first 3 months are covered by the 3 IPs you get anyway

macole111
08-08-2013, 20:18
I don't like the new IPs thing, I don't mind paying per month for them (I always have) just paying £15 extra (£18 inc VAT) PLUS the monthly fee for IPs just doesn't make sense to me. It's not like I'll use any of the other features now Vracks are not SP range anymore.

I have heard if you pay for 12 months in advance you'll get 12 - 3 = 9 IP addresses as you get 1 IP per month of the server over the original 3 after 3 months. Although I have heard no official confirmation of this for servers that are paid in advance.

-macole111

village_i_diot
08-08-2013, 19:43
Quote Originally Posted by JakeMS
Guys, I think he was referring to the mSP he said he was planning on purchasing .

It seems to me he wishes to get a mSP but is unsure on whether or not he should get pro usage with it.

Yes, that is correct. I'm thinking, if I need say 6 IP addresses I may get better value for money buying two servers rather than one with pro usage.

village_i_diot
08-08-2013, 19:26
Quote Originally Posted by JakeMS
Hi,

Standard additional IP's do not require pro usage option. However if you require more than 3 IP's assigned to your server you will need pro usage option.

Hope this helps :-).
OK, the mSP order form only states a limit of 3 failover IP's before needing the pro usage and that's what confused me. So that applies to standard IP's as well.

JakeMS
08-08-2013, 19:23
Guys, I think he was referring to the mSP he said he was planning on purchasing .

It seems to me he wishes to get a mSP but is unsure on whether or not he should get pro usage with it.

macole111
08-08-2013, 19:20
Only 1 IP for new KS servers.

-macole111

szisti
08-08-2013, 19:12
Also I think neither of this is possible on the new KS range, only the mSP would allow you to do that

JakeMS
08-08-2013, 19:10
Hi,

Standard additional IP's do not require pro usage option. However if you require more than 3 IP's assigned to your server you will need pro usage option.

Hope this helps :-).

village_i_diot
08-08-2013, 18:59
I have a KS2G ordered but have been looking at getting an mSP as well. I am a little confused when it comes to additional IP addresses.

If I wanted say another 4 IP addresses to point to the server, don't need to be failover, do I still need the professional use to purchase them?

Forgive me for my ignorance but the above question is based on my understanding that you only require the IP to be a failover IP if you want the ability to move it between servers, which I don't.

Thanks