OVH Community, your new community space.

Ubuntu Server 7.10 how do I limit my NIC to 100Mb/s?

HoundOfTheSmith
18-08-2008, 20:14
ethtool can certainly do that, but you'd have to have it re-set it on boot.

Andy
18-08-2008, 15:29
You can do what you want with your server. Even though it indicates 1Gbps (like mine) the rack router limits it to 100Mbps.

I'm not sure if the 100Mbps outbound plus 100Mbps inbound are added together to get the noSLA figure. I'm guessing not, because incoming bandwidth is cheaper than outgoing, if I remember correctly. I'd wait for an official explanation from OVH.

However you can just set the NIC into 100Mbps half duplex to stop you using over 100Mbps total. I don't know how to do this in Linux, only Windows I'm afraid.

I was always told 100Mbps servers can never go into noSLA mode if you only have 1 server with a 100Mbps speed on your account. I have a Large++ myself by the way and I've had it 8 months, and I'm still on SLA mode.

gregoryfenton
18-08-2008, 15:20
The title says it all.

I have 100M Large++, output from lspci:
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)

output from mii-tool:
mii-tool
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok

I can see that I have a negotiated 100Mb/s full duplex link but would a better option be hard set 100Mb/s half duplex?

I am not prepared to lose all my speed if for some reason my bandwidth hits 101Mb/s so I wish to lock the NIC down to 100Mb/s.

Is this possible? Or even acceptable in Oles' eyes (specifically does ensuring I can't be noSLA penalised place me in a position where I will be penalised all the more)?