OVH Community, your new community space.

Hot do I install Windows/GPT?

heise
21-11-2014, 08:55
See signature on how to convert MRB Windows to GPT. I used a small trick.

rel8534
21-11-2014, 08:24
The problem is with OVH installation template. It doesn't use GPT and insists on setting up MBR. Proper partition layout created in rescue mode gets overwritten by the installation script. I think OVH just does not support GPT for bootable drives at all.

Here's what OVH thinks:

From what my colleagues have informed me this is a Windows limitation. I'm afraid this isn't possible for us to correct on our side. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Shadowl0rd
24-08-2014, 19:33
Quote Originally Posted by theatheist
Got my FS-8T's but cant see how to install Windows to drive as GPT so I can use whole 4TB disk??

I have tried using installer on custom partition and it shows 4TB is going to be used for partition but then get Bad partitioning scheme error during install.

I also tried the template option and that gives partition cannot exceed 2TB?

So how do I use whole drive on Windows on this server?
I have the same question
I need to install windows 2012 in GPT mode

raxxeh
14-08-2013, 03:33
Had absolutely no replies from support about the issue.

Wont work because one, you need to delete volume and and two, as soon as you re-install Windows it gets put back on MBR.

The software used during deployment sets to MBR as far as I am aware.

Unless you know of a way?
My way does not use the OVH manager.

theatheist
14-08-2013, 03:19
Quote Originally Posted by macole111
I expect they can manually install it if you ask them, try emailing customersupport@ovh.co.uk and see what they can do - otherwise what is point of a big drive.
Had absolutely no replies from support about the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritoid
What about booting into a rescue mode and setting the drives as GPT?
Wont work because one, you need to delete volume and and two, as soon as you re-install Windows it gets put back on MBR.

Quote Originally Posted by raxxeh
Just install a linux os, install it in a VM, then dd the VM image onto the local disks in rescue mode.......

Might need to get the dd image by mounting that vm disk in another linux vm however.

A little bit of pissing around, but if you have your own key you don't need to pay OVH either.
The software used during deployment sets to MBR as far as I am aware.

Unless you know of a way?

raxxeh
12-08-2013, 13:56
Just install a linux os, install it in a VM, then dd the VM image onto the local disks in rescue mode.......

Might need to get the dd image by mounting that vm disk in another linux vm however.

A little bit of pissing around, but if you have your own key you don't need to pay OVH either.

TheBritoid
12-08-2013, 11:59
This isnt possible as the drive would still be using MBR and not GPT and thus not able to have a partition over 2TB or utilize more then 2TB of drive at any one time.

No matter what you do in Windows there will always be a section of drive unallocated that is not accessible and no partition can be created on it. If you set partition of 150GB you will have a unallocated section with the remainder of 2TB (Which a volume can be created on) and then unusable unallocated 2TB at end of drive of which cant be used.

On empty drives in Windows can you can simply remove volume and convert to GPT, however this obviously isnt possible on C:. GPT needs to be set on drive prior to install.
What about booting into a rescue mode and setting the drives as GPT?

macole111
12-08-2013, 11:40
I expect they can manually install it if you ask them, try emailing customersupport@ovh.co.uk and see what they can do - otherwise what is point of a big drive.

theatheist
12-08-2013, 11:03
Quote Originally Posted by RikT
install the windows on a small partition of say 150gb leave the rest unallocated then when winblows is installed partition the rest of the drive
This isnt possible as the drive would still be using MBR and not GPT and thus not able to have a partition over 2TB or utilize more then 2TB of drive at any one time.

No matter what you do in Windows there will always be a section of drive unallocated that is not accessible and no partition can be created on it. If you set partition of 150GB you will have a unallocated section with the remainder of 2TB (Which a volume can be created on) and then unusable unallocated 2TB at end of drive of which cant be used.

On empty drives in Windows can you can simply remove volume and convert to GPT, however this obviously isnt possible on C:. GPT needs to be set on drive prior to install.

RikT
12-08-2013, 10:43
No its not the raid. I'm using them as separate drives and can see both drives. The problem is that Windows only seems to use MBR for boot drive so can only partition upto 2TB. To go above this you need to use GPT instead. Rest of space is unallocated and unusable, no partition can be made on it or converted to dynamic etc
install the windows on a small partition of say 150gb leave the rest unallocated then when winblows is installed partition the rest of the drive

theatheist
12-08-2013, 09:46
Quote Originally Posted by macole111
Sounds like it is to do with the software RAID, are you trying to use them as separate drives or in an array?

I haven't used the RAID with Windows on OVH, but you should be able to see both drives. If you can then you could use storage spaces in server 2012 to store across the drives without raid.

No its not the raid. I'm using them as separate drives and can see both drives. The problem is that Windows only seems to use MBR for boot drive so can only partition upto 2TB. To go above this you need to use GPT instead. Rest of space is unallocated and unusable, no partition can be made on it or converted to dynamic etc

macole111
12-08-2013, 09:21
Sounds like it is to do with the software RAID, are you trying to use them as separate drives or in an array?

I haven't used the RAID with Windows on OVH, but you should be able to see both drives. If you can then you could use storage spaces in server 2012 to store across the drives without raid.

theatheist
12-08-2013, 01:11
Got my FS-8T's but cant see how to install Windows to drive as GPT so I can use whole 4TB disk??

I have tried using installer on custom partition and it shows 4TB is going to be used for partition but then get Bad partitioning scheme error during install.

I also tried the template option and that gives partition cannot exceed 2TB?

So how do I use whole drive on Windows on this server?