OVH Community, your new community space.

Own OS

Nettus
25-09-2008, 12:50
Bare in mind that they'll probley have to include a license checker which we dont want any illigal licenses do we

Abducted
23-09-2008, 23:29
Is OVH still working on this? And if so are they on track and can we expect the option to run our own windows 2003 server licence on the servers within a couple of days?
And if so... How will we know when this option is available? Will this be on the ovh home page or just a message in this forum? I want to switch from RPS to kimsufi but only when i can be sure i can run windows 2003 server. (or at least within a short period of time)

Thanks!

IainK
19-09-2008, 22:14
Perfect indeed! Can't wait to see this in action.

Ben
18-09-2008, 23:50
So are you saying that we can use our own licence keys from next week?

If so, that would be perfect

oles@ovh.net
18-09-2008, 22:52
Lux-Edi a écrit:
>
> Hi,
>
> I've tried multiple ways. From the support line I was told, the ISO
> could only be 1/4 of the available RAM on my server, so I played around

we received the first KVM for the first customers. you will be able to
use a .ISO to setup your server. windows, solaris, what ever ..

I hope we will add it in the "shop" next week (lot of jobs with the
start of the new datacenter).

Andy
18-09-2008, 22:38
Quote Originally Posted by Lux-Edi
Hi,

I've tried multiple ways. From the support line I was told, the ISO could only be 1/4 of the available RAM on my server, so I played around with nLite to reduce my win2003 ISO to a smaller size. Removed almost EVERYTHING except drivers and services... fully automatic install, with serial number and everything.
Tried on 3 different machines and in every one, it worked flawlessly.

Then upped it to a FTP server and then to my server via vKVM... result: blue screens, reboots, ... the errors are not even consistent!

I gave up. vKVM is a good debug tool, but not ready for OS install, at least, not for a Microsoft OS.

If anyone has any tips on how to get it working, I'd love to hear/read them. Still hoping to run Windows 2008 on my server... one day!!

Live long and prosper
OVH should offer 2008 soon, and also you will be able to use your own key too, without the need to install the ISO yourself. But, like all promises, they come quite a long time after we are told they will...

Lux-Edi
18-09-2008, 22:36
Hi,

I've tried multiple ways. From the support line I was told, the ISO could only be 1/4 of the available RAM on my server, so I played around with nLite to reduce my win2003 ISO to a smaller size. Removed almost EVERYTHING except drivers and services... fully automatic install, with serial number and everything.
Tried on 3 different machines and in every one, it worked flawlessly.

Then upped it to a FTP server and then to my server via vKVM... result: blue screens, reboots, ... the errors are not even consistent!

I gave up. vKVM is a good debug tool, but not ready for OS install, at least, not for a Microsoft OS.

If anyone has any tips on how to get it working, I'd love to hear/read them. Still hoping to run Windows 2008 on my server... one day!!

Live long and prosper

IainK
04-09-2008, 11:40
I know from experience that Windows Server will not boot over vKVM so they will probably have a lot of work to do before launching this
A little update would be lovely though!

IainK
21-08-2008, 17:47
Oles, I would love to beta test "Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition with Hypervisor. (x86)"

I would order a kimsufi purely to test this out. Let me know if and when this would be doable

PeterUK
20-08-2008, 23:34
Quote Originally Posted by oles@ovh.net
PeterUK a écrit:
>
> So if I rent a server some time in around a week, I can send you ISO and
> if your test setup goes OK you will allow me to install server from
> that?

We start "revolution" next week. then we will work on this projet.
I think it's a good idea you are a beta-tester for this service.
I wonder if it works.
Well as it stands at the moment, I have a dedicated server from another company, I can't afford this very soon so I'm looking to move to OVH, so I'd want to rent the server and transfer data across while having both servers active, then terminate the original. Is it possible to get a custom ISO installed onto my server if I was to order a server like... tomorrow?

Although I would love to be a beta tester for the service when it does come out, would be interesting. :P

oles@ovh.net
20-08-2008, 23:02
PeterUK a écrit:
>
> So if I rent a server some time in around a week, I can send you ISO and
> if your test setup goes OK you will allow me to install server from
> that?

We start "revolution" next week. then we will work on this projet.
I think it's a good idea you are a beta-tester for this service.
I wonder if it works.

PeterUK
20-08-2008, 22:14
So if I rent a server some time in around a week, I can send you ISO and if your test setup goes OK you will allow me to install server from that?

Thanks,
Peter

oles@ovh.net
20-08-2008, 17:44
oles@ovh.net a écrit:
> PeterUK a écrit:
>>
>> The exact OS I have a license for is :
>>> Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition with Service Pack 2 x86

>>
>> However I did download this from Microsoft, so I do have an Official
>> ISO file for it and I can upload that if needs be?

we will propose next week the KVM over IP with the servers.
we have to test the setup with ISO via USB. if it works you
will be able to setup all OS you want.

oles@ovh.net
20-08-2008, 12:20
PeterUK a écrit:
>
> The exact OS I have a license for is :
>> Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition with Service Pack 2 x86

>
> However I did download this from Microsoft, so I do have an Official
> ISO file for it and I can upload that if needs be?

let me find a solution.

PeterUK
20-08-2008, 10:09
The exact OS I have a license for is :
Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition with Service Pack 2 x86
However I did download this from Microsoft, so I do have an Official ISO file for it and I can upload that if needs be?

oles@ovh.net
20-08-2008, 08:48
PeterUK a écrit:
>
> Hi guys,
>
> I already have a license for Windows Server 2003, and I want to run

which OS exactly ?

we wonder if the OS Windows with your own linence is a good of bad
idea. and we wonder which OS. we will propose the OS windows with
your own licence with SPLA licence. next week ? But the others OS
we have to check which one, since prepare a new OS for all hardware
and all country is a big job.

PeterUK
20-08-2008, 01:12
Hi Andy and thanks for your reply.

The vKVM page says :
You can also start your server on an ISO or on the USB flash disc thanks to ftpfs. You can thus start your server on any system and carry out the handling via vKVM with the keyboard and the mouse.
What's to stop me installing Windows Server 2003 using the ISO for a fresh install and entering my license information that way?

Thanks

Andy
19-08-2008, 22:44
OVH are currently working on a system where you can enter your own license details and not have to pay for the Windows OS. However its not yet complete so until then you're stuck I'm afraid. You could however ring OVH and ask if they can do this manually until the new system is up. I'm dubious as to whether they would do it but you have nothing to lose.

PeterUK
19-08-2008, 22:08
Hi guys,

I already have a license for Windows Server 2003, and I want to run Windows on a server, but I obviously don't want to be paying the license fee when I already have one. Is it possible I can order a Linux server and use vKVM/ftpfs to install Windows Server 2003 using my own license key? Or will that just plain not work?

Thanks,
Peter