OVH Community, your new community space.

Help with RIPE IP Block

jazzy348
24-10-2014, 12:48
I know I'm a little late, but I'm working it out now. Faillover IPs work without any issues, without doing anything to the node's eth0. Thinking a ripe block would work the same, I bought one. Anyway, once I have figured it out I will post a step by step guide to help anyone else who may have this issue.

Figured out. Don't bother making another eth0 as it will create a conflict. Simply add the IP block with the subnet 255.255.255.255 instead of whatever they said to put.

andha
19-08-2013, 07:17
You might be best off ringing support and asking then how much it will be for them to sort it out

Without being able to see how you have everything set up its difficult to see what you may need to do to fix it

IC-Chris
19-08-2013, 00:17
Bump still need some help

IC-Chris
16-08-2013, 18:53
Okay now apparently, I set up something wrong and now OVH sent me the IPALIAS link and the Bridgeclient one so how do these tutorials come together?

http://d.pr/i/HSNZ

IC-Chris
16-08-2013, 17:32
Okay I have done a fresh install of SolusVM, I'll wait for my boss to send me my details and see if it works

andha
16-08-2013, 14:24
Quote Originally Posted by Thelen
For my SolusVM/OpenVZ i don't have to do anything. i just assign the block in solus and the vps just work.

for kvm xen etc im sure it is perhaps different.
Did you have to assign it as a RIPE IP failover in manager? so it knows which server to route it through too ?

Thelen
16-08-2013, 14:22
For my SolusVM/OpenVZ i don't have to do anything. i just assign the block in solus and the vps just work.

for kvm xen etc im sure it is perhaps different.

andha
16-08-2013, 14:16
I would assume it would be the same process, you assign one of your RIPE ips as an RIPE ip failover in manager to tell it which server to assign itself with then utilise that ip exactly the same way you would an ordinary fail over.

At least from my networking understanding i cant imagine a ripe ip being treating any differently topology wise.

You route IP 1-100 to Server A and then utilise that IP.

IC-Chris
16-08-2013, 14:06
I don't think with a Failover it will work the same as a RIPE Block

andha
16-08-2013, 13:08
If you want a step by step, i will attempt to create one for you using my 1 Fail over IP that i can test with.

Im not sure how much OVH will charge, best to phone them and ask.

Ill quite happily help where i can. if only to reduce the load off ovh so they can get servers delivered :P

IC-Chris
16-08-2013, 12:53
I just need an easy step by step haha, I just want it to work and most datacenters do it for you. How much will this cost approx?

andha
15-08-2013, 23:05
I have managed to test this with an ip fail over, created an openVZ container and assigned it the IP,

If they are openVZ make sure you dont have virtual mac addresses assigned to those ips in question.

let me know how you get on.

andha
15-08-2013, 22:08
Can you advise what virtualisation option you are using with the vms in question?

is it an openvz contain or one of the xen / full virtualisation options?

andha
15-08-2013, 21:44
Installing SolusVM on a spare server now, it does depend what sort of virtualisation you are using on the vms in question, if they are OpenVZ containers then you dont need a virtual mac address to be assigned, if they are KVM with Bridged networking then you will need to get a virtual mac for each ip to be used on a KVM

DigitalDaz
15-08-2013, 19:31
I think a big question is are you using KVM, OpenVZ, etc?

I had a KVM instance running a couple of weeks ago.

The first thing I did for KVM was to not use the OVH distro.

I don't have a clue how to do Xen, I would imagine OpenVZ would work pretty much out of the box but KVM is straightforward.

IC-Chris
15-08-2013, 18:54
Estimate on the price of that?

rickyday
15-08-2013, 18:11
Quote Originally Posted by IC-Chris
Also is there anyone within OVH that could set this up for me?
Yes a technician can set this up for you for a charge.

Email support and they will quote you for the job.

andha
15-08-2013, 18:07
I have never used solus but I'll be freeing up a ks server tonight I will be able to install it on and see if I have any problems setting up a VM with an IP fail over.

What guest operating systems are you using ? Also any reason you want for solus and not proxmox or xen server ?

IC-Chris
15-08-2013, 18:02
Exactally what I thought, but solusvm still won't boot any vps'

andha
15-08-2013, 17:51
Not really used a ripe block before but if its anything like fail over. For virtual machines. You have to assign it a virtual Mac address then set it up on the VM in question ?

Although I may be completely off the mark. Until I need a ripe block I won't know

AmyEllis
15-08-2013, 17:29
I've done what that says but I'm getting an error along the lines of "mac address not what expected, aborting" is that the issue your getting ?

IC-Chris
15-08-2013, 16:32
Also is there anyone within OVH that could set this up for me? I don't know why but I am having great difficulty and I've spent a good amount of money

IC-Chris
15-08-2013, 16:07
Quote Originally Posted by marks
to use the IPs for virtualisation, you need to follow this instructions:

http://help.ovh.co.uk/bridgeclient

mind that the netmask for this type of usage is always 255.255.255.255, regardless of what it says on the RIPE installation email (those instructions are for IP alias use) .

Let us know if you have any problem with that.
Okay so, do I copy the eth0 to like eth0:0 and edit that? and do I have to do each IP or is there away to do the whole block for example just put 0.0.0.0/27 for example.

marks
15-08-2013, 15:39
to use the IPs for virtualisation, you need to follow this instructions:

http://help.ovh.co.uk/bridgeclient

mind that the netmask for this type of usage is always 255.255.255.255, regardless of what it says on the RIPE installation email (those instructions are for IP alias use) .

Let us know if you have any problem with that.

AmyEllis
15-08-2013, 15:34
I am having the same issue, hope someone can shed light on this for us

IC-Chris
15-08-2013, 14:57
Hey guys I'm a bit stuck, now I've never used a RIPE IP Block and I have bought one for my server now how do I set it up? I know there is ipalias help doc. Now I added a block on SolusVM and none of the VPS' I create boot. What am I doing wrong?

OVH Support is being slow and hasn't responded in a few hours.