OVH Community, your new community space.

private server order

Andy.
22-09-2008, 13:45
Quote Originally Posted by Dave
"Andy." you are possibly the most paranoid person I've seen, I consider my self fairly careful and I'm concerned about the amount of identity theft happening in the UK right now but you take it to the next level.
Thanks, because that's where we need it to be.

The security procedures (documented or not documented) are in place to protect OVH's business, a dedicated server can be used for so many different illegal activities and OVH need to protect them self's by knowing who you really are.
you can use a car for many illegal activities. do you think my local Vauxhall dealer would insist on my passport just in case I fancy doing a ram raid?
I think you're misguided to say ovh need to protect themselves from illegal activities. I think ovh are more concerned about the amount of credit card fraud and the request for documents is ovh's overblown response to this problem.

Personally I think you need to call them and speak to them personally to resolve your problems or find a different host with more lax security checks and sign up under the alias "Mr Smith".
I've personally emailed and personally spoke to OVH support persoanlly on many, MANY occasions, too many in fact. the term "baby steps" must have been invented for ovh support.

OVH are a multinational company who will no doubt have certain document handling and storing procedures in place as part of their data protection policy, if you'd rather find another host who resell someone else's servers and who is actually a spotty 14 year old working from his bedroom after school then good luck.
and at least the kid would probably have a better understanding of the services he provides with a vpn connection from school to sort out any problems within hours instead of the days I'm experiencing with ovh at the moment.

On a less serious note after this post I've got this image of you in my head on a night out going into your local kebab shop and asking for the food safety and hygiene certificates, watching them wash their hands before they make your food.
a kebab shop? are they those smelly shops that sell elephant legs to drunks? too right i'd ask for all the above as a minimum before sticking any of that ****e near my mouth.

At the end of the day ovh are cheap, that's why i'm here, but you have to fight tooth and nail to get any kind of support and the systems used to manage and set up accounts are awful. For instance, no ticket support. Support is all email based.

It's this less than fantastic infrastructure that sits BEHIND the servers we rent that has me worrying when very important documents are requested by ovh.

On a positive, the servers themselves are excellent, the prices are excellent.

By the way,

"Paranoia is a disturbed thought process characterized by excessive anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion."

if i could read a satement somewhere that tells me what the policy is at ovh I wouldn't have to ask, so that makes me paranoid for asking? figures.....

Dave
28-08-2008, 04:06
"Andy." you are possibly the most paranoid person I've seen, I consider my self fairly careful and I'm concerned about the amount of identity theft happening in the UK right now but you take it to the next level.

The security procedures (documented or not documented) are in place to protect OVH's business, a dedicated server can be used for so many different illegal activities and OVH need to protect them self's by knowing who you really are.

Personally I think you need to call them and speak to them personally to resolve your problems or find a different host with more lax security checks and sign up under the alias "Mr Smith".

OVH are a multinational company who will no doubt have certain document handling and storing procedures in place as part of their data protection policy, if you'd rather find another host who resell someone else's servers and who is actually a spotty 14 year old working from his bedroom after school then good luck.

On a less serious note after this post I've got this image of you in my head on a night out going into your local kebab shop and asking for the food safety and hygiene certificates, watching them wash their hands before they make your food.

Andy.
27-08-2008, 10:32
Hi BELLonline.
It's not that I'm suspicious any more.
Maybe I was when my card was declined then was asked to send a copy of my passport and utility bill which would be a pretty good identity theft scam if done right.
I started to wonder if this was the same OVH or some scam site.
I know OVH are not some fly by night outfit but I still do have questions because OVH are insisting I send them the type of documentation that I've only ever had to send to the bank for my mortgage application, never for a server!

Sophie has now confirmed in writing that it was their system that declined the payment triggering the request for documents. I've not been told why but I suspect it was because the details on account and given during payment didn't match on the first submission (it's quite common for other hosting providers to allow different personal details to be entered during payment from those held on account)

Subsequent submissions failed despite ammending the details on my account to match those of my card which probably means the flag was already set, no amount of ammending was gonna unset it.

In short, make sure the details you enter during sign up are EXACTLY the same as the card details you want to use for payment. Get that wrong on the first go and you'll get flagged like I was.

Once I was told I needed to send documents, something not mentioned anywhere on the site, I started having concerns about how they'll handle my personal documents once I send them in?
Will they store them or destroy them?
Who will have access?

In other words, how will OVH protect my sensitive documents from getting into the wrong hands?

We've had some pretty alarming news stories recently in the UK about personal data being 'lost'

As I can't find any information about this seemingly new process on the website I think it's reasonable to ask and wait for clarification, preferably in writing, before jumping in.

BELLonline
26-08-2008, 20:11
"Andy." if you are so suspicious about OVH and don't trust them, why don't you go somewhere else? I wouldn't deal with a company I didn't trust.

You seem to be putting a lot of time and effort in to trying to get a server with OVH considering you don't trust their staff to keep your details secure.

undisclosedp
26-08-2008, 18:54
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
The UK support office is in London but the data center is in Roubaix, France.
I'm aware of that, im saying that I thought their support offices were in south London, not Holborn.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.ovh.co.uk/individual/aboutus/legal_mentions.xml
OVH
Unit K403 - 100 Clements road - London - SE16 4DG - England
Registration number: 5519821 – VAT number GB 918 7594 74
South London, not Holborn

Andy
26-08-2008, 18:18
Quote Originally Posted by undisclosedp
You sure about that? I thought they were in south London? I should check that out, its just up the road from me.
The UK support office is in London but the data center is in Roubaix, France.

undisclosedp
26-08-2008, 18:15
Quote Originally Posted by Andy.
OVH work out of Lincoln House, London, WC1V 7JH

This is an office block offering rented office space to hundreds of companies including OVH. It doesn't seem to be the data center, more like a customer care office to which the 0207 number links so I'm pretty sure wont have the security Andy mentions above.
You sure about that? I thought they were in south London? I should check that out, its just up the road from me.

Andy.
26-08-2008, 17:47

Things don't happen on their own. You have to make some effort.
33 posts here.
half a dozen emails
2 phone calls

Yeah, I should try harder to get support!

Andy.
26-08-2008, 15:42
You go and do that digging. You'll find the same information you have been given here.
OVH work out of Lincoln House, London, WC1V 7JH

This is an office block offering rented office space to hundreds of companies including OVH. It doesn't seem to be the data center, more like a customer care office to which the 0207 number links so I'm pretty sure wont have the security Andy mentions above.

Andy.
26-08-2008, 15:20
And pay even more money calling them over and over again because they are too rude to return my call?

As for staff, check this out: http://www.ovh.com/jobs/uk.xml
Says nothing about requiring a security check there.

This'll be the guy they're employing to handle all these documents we have to send in now. lol

Andy
26-08-2008, 15:17
Emailed them at 9am this morning.
No response.

Called them twice today, the second time asking to speak to Sophie.
She was out to lunch so I asked she call me when back

That was 2 hours ago.

I'm using the forum for 2 reasons.
To get official response as other means of communication have failed.
To warn future customers about the hassle I've experienced with the rediculously flawed security OVH has decided to impliment which blows the Server in 1 Hour claim right out the water.
As with all companies never rely on a call back. You must phone them. So get on the phone now and ask for Sophie again. If you can't get through to Sophie try Folarin. He is a very good customer support person. Try every 30 minutes until you get through to someone.

Things don't happen on their own. You have to make some effort.

Andy.
26-08-2008, 15:14
Emailed them at 9am this morning.
No response.

Called them twice today, the second time asking to speak to Sophie.
She was out to lunch so I asked she call me when back

That was 2 hours ago.

I'm using the forum for 2 reasons.
To get official response as other means of communication have failed.
To warn future customers about the hassle I've experienced with the rediculously flawed security OVH has decided to impliment which blows the Server in 1 Hour claim right out the water.

Andy
26-08-2008, 15:01
No offence lad, but do you just talk for the sake of it?

They may do this.
They may do that.

Guess what.
I'm still not convinced.

Tell me all employees need to pass the advanced CR checks and I'll begin to worry less.

So off I go to do some digging, let's see exactly what type of set up OVH uses in the UK!
No I talk because you have asked questions and I'm trying to explain to you how OVH operates. If you're not convinced, ask them yourself. You still seem to be ignoring that. Have you even phoned them? Have you e-mailed them? Or are you relying on the forum that OVH rarely monitors for official purposes?

You go and do that digging. You'll find the same information you have been given here.

Andy.
26-08-2008, 14:57
No offence lad, but do you just talk for the sake of it?

They may do this.
They may do that.

Guess what.
I'm still not convinced.

Tell me all employees need to pass the advanced CR checks and I'll begin to worry less.

So off I go to do some digging, let's see exactly what type of set up OVH uses in the UK!

Andy
26-08-2008, 14:46
Don't be soft.
I trust OVH.
It's the employees I'm worried about. (no offence Ashley or Sophie)
It's the way that the information is stored.
How is it destroyed?
Who has access?

These are not unreasonable concerns in this day and age.
All employees will have had to sign a non-disclosure agreement to say they will comply with the data protection act and that their work remains at work. Its common for most hosts to do this. Thats one of the reasons there is such tight security on the actual data floors as well. Everything is treated with the highest security.

If Ashley or Sophie, or anyone working at OVH had stolen such details they would have been caught by now. And its very easy to be caught with all the CCTV in the building, and I can bet they are searched on the way out as well. Security is very tight when it comes to data centers. I'm not saying this is fact with OVH because I don't know, but I can bet these measures are put in force to some extent or another.

Andy.
26-08-2008, 14:43
Don't be soft.
I trust OVH.
It's the employees I'm worried about. (no offence Ashley or Sophie)
It's the way that the information is stored.
How is it destroyed?
Who has access?

These are not unreasonable concerns in this day and age.

Andy
26-08-2008, 14:29
I've never had a host request documents, ever.
Not saying they never have to someone else and yeah, maybe it isn't in the T&C's, maybe it is.

What I do know is that the OVH website led me to believe I could have a server ready in 1 hour. This turns out not to be the case because OVH have requested extra documentation that I dont have to hand and to be frank, I'm quite worried about sending for reasons outlined in earlier posts, namely MY security.
OVH are Frances biggest data center host, you really think they're going to "sell" your details? Is that what you're worried about? If so you shouldn't have a house, a car, pay any bills. You give your secure details to a lot of places, and this is including your credit card number which anybody could use to wipe out your account.

If you don't feel safe giving such details to even a big company like OVH you shouldn't be buying anything on the web, its that plain and simple.

Andy.
26-08-2008, 14:24
Go and find me a host that has never requested such documents and I'll listen to you. Until then, I won't. Can't do it? Didn't think so. Every host will have requested such documents at some point. They do not have to state it in their Terms and Conditions. Do they have to state exactly what hardware they use down to the last specification? No. I'm guessing you're not a stupid person, so use your head. This is common sense we're talking about here.
I've never had a host request documents, ever.
Not saying they never have to someone else and yeah, maybe it isn't in the T&C's, maybe it is.

What I do know is that the OVH website led me to believe I could have a server ready in 1 hour. This turns out not to be the case because OVH have requested extra documentation that I dont have to hand and to be frank, I'm quite worried about sending for reasons outlined in earlier posts, namely MY security.

Andy
26-08-2008, 13:57
OVH should not be misleading potential customers about set up times when additional steps that are not outlined in the T&C's or anywhere on the website may need to be followed.
Go and find me a host that has never requested such documents and I'll listen to you. Until then, I won't. Can't do it? Didn't think so. Every host will have requested such documents at some point. They do not have to state it in their Terms and Conditions. Do they have to state exactly what hardware they use down to the last specification? No. I'm guessing you're not a stupid person, so use your head. This is common sense we're talking about here.

Andy.
26-08-2008, 13:54
holograms!

were talking a scan, edit and fax copy here Iain.
That will never show the hologram or the level of detail needed to verify it as fake yet OVH tell me it would be acceptable to send a fax copy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no scam artist but I'm wordly wise enough to know what I say is the truth.

In summary, these security precautions are OTT as well as flawed and they are losing OVH legitimate custom.
I imagine even more people will be put off placing an order to begin with when they realise they MAY have the added hassle of sending these personal documents before getting a server set up.

Say it on the website, just be upfront about it.

OVH should not be misleading potential customers about set up times when additional steps that are not outlined in the T&C's or anywhere on the website may need to be followed.

Simple as.

Andy
26-08-2008, 13:43
Yeah, so forging a driving license or passports IS as easy as forging a utility bill.
You've obviously never done it before or you'd know how easy it is to spot a fake.

Ahh, so Iain has access to my account. Same thing.

Listen, you guys are giving me all sorts of mis-information so you'll have to forgive me if I don't appear to take your advice.

All I'm asking for is an official response.
I've been waiting nearly 5 hours now.
No, he does not have access to your account, and nothing suggests that he does. You're getting paranoid.

If you want a response, PHONE OVH YOURSELF. The forums do NOT get official responses very often, usually once or twice a week at most. OVH set up this forum for customer to customer support, NOT as an official support tool. E-mail and Phone are the only official methods of support supplied by OVH. Either deal with that or you will have a very very long wait ahead of you.

IainK
26-08-2008, 13:41
Sorry "Andy." but unless you are a very very very (did I mention very very very?) talented design artist there's no way you're editting the info on a photo of a drivers license with photoshop!

I have used photoshop since version 2, and while it has greatly improved, there's no way you are faking the holograms properly unless you are creating the whole thing in vector!

And when did I say I have access to your account? I do not work for OVH but my entire post count of almost 300 posts has mostly been helping OVH customers like yourself.
Now you can think what you want, but it's time to wait for an official response.
And you can feel free to ask any member of staff if IainK or Andy have access to your account/account info, you'll get a blunt answer

Andy.
26-08-2008, 13:40
This is what I am saying. You fax or e-mail a "copy" as in a picture or scan of it. Thats how ALL companies work.
Yeah, so forging a driving license or passports IS as easy as forging a utility bill.

I take it you haven't been reading any of the other topics of you'd have seen Iain-K's post in 2 recent topics stating this fact. And yes, I know a lot about the data protection act, I work with credit cards and such almost every day at work, thank you.

Why don't you do yourself a favour and CALL OVH yourself. Ask them all the questions you want. Its obvious you're not going to listen to a long term customer or any customer in fact.
Ahh, so Iain has access to my account. Same thing.

Listen, you guys are giving me all sorts of mis-information so you'll have to forgive me if I don't appear to take your advice.

All I'm asking for is an official response.
I've been waiting nearly 5 hours now.

Andy
26-08-2008, 13:34
I wasn't told to do this, was told to send an email or fax. If I fax it your argument falls flat on it's face.
In fact the photograph is useless too, ever heard of photoshop?

This is what I am saying. You fax or e-mail a "copy" as in a picture or scan of it. Thats how ALL companies work.

How do you know this?
Do you have access to my account?
Or is someone from OVH discussing my account with you?

You do realise this breaches the Data Protection Act here in the UK?
I take it you haven't been reading any of the other topics of you'd have seen Iain-K's post in 2 recent topics stating this fact. And yes, I know a lot about the data protection act, I work with credit cards and such almost every day at work, thank you.

Why don't you do yourself a favour and CALL OVH yourself. Ask them all the questions you want. Its obvious you're not going to listen to a long term customer or any customer in fact.

Andy.
26-08-2008, 12:59
You take a photocopy or a picture with a camera of it. I used a camera and they accepted it just fine. You don't physically send a "copy" of it. That would be stupid and defeat the point of the security checks.
I wasn't told to do this, was told to send an email or fax. If I fax it your argument falls flat on it's face.
In fact the photograph is useless too, ever heard of photoshop?

Nobody said it was the bank. OVH declined it because what you put on the address box on the order form does not match with the address your card issuer gave OVH when they tried to process the order.
How do you know this?
Do you have access to my account?
Or is someone from OVH discussing my account with you?

You do realise this breaches the Data Protection Act here in the UK?

Andy
26-08-2008, 12:51
They want a COPY of my driving license.
Do you really think a copy could not be forged the same way as a utility bill?
You take a photocopy or a picture with a camera of it. I used a camera and they accepted it just fine. You don't physically send a "copy" of it. That would be stupid and defeat the point of the security checks.

Sorry, this is also untrue.
It's not the bank that is declining the card, it is OVH.
I called the bank and they say no transactions have been refused by them.
They have no record of OVH trying to request payment so cannot understand why it would be declined and suggest it is the websites fault.

Thanks for trying to come up with answers guys but I think I'll wait for the official response if you don't mind.
Nobody said it was the bank. OVH declined it because what you put on the address box on the order form does not match with the address your card issuer gave OVH when they tried to process the order.

Andy.
26-08-2008, 12:46
The reason its not enough is because they are easy to fake. A driving license is much harder to fake because it has photo ID and security marks all over it. This is the reason they do not accept a simple piece of paper with your address on it. You could have faked it and OVH would be non-the-wiser.
They want a COPY of my driving license.
Do you really think a copy could not be forged the same way as a utility bill?

Quote Originally Posted by IainK
Say you give ovh the address: 2/4 Leith Street, Birmingham, UK for example and your card issuer thinks you are at 2F4 Leith Street, Birmingham, UK OVH won't process this because it's not the same.
Sorry, this is also untrue.
It's not the bank that is declining the card, it is OVH.
I called the bank and they say no transactions have been refused by them.
They have no record of OVH trying to request payment so cannot understand why it would be declined and suggest it is the websites fault.

Thanks for trying to come up with answers guys but I think I'll wait for the official response if you don't mind.

IainK
26-08-2008, 12:33
"Andy." I did not have to provide this information. No one does if their credit/debit card matches their address exactly. Yours evidently doesn't so OVH must ask you for further identification.
Let me assure you I have had 4 OVH servers never once had to provide this information.
If you sort out your bank and get the right address on the card it will go through.

Say you give ovh the address: 2/4 Leith Street, Birmingham, UK for example and your card issuer thinks you are at 2F4 Leith Street, Birmingham, UK OVH won't process this because it's not the same.

Andy
26-08-2008, 12:29
Don't get me wrong, hats off to OVH for attempting to tackle issues with hackers but have you ever heard of overkill?
A recent utility bill with the same address as the card should be enough.
The reason its not enough is because they are easy to fake. A driving license is much harder to fake because it has photo ID and security marks all over it. This is the reason they do not accept a simple piece of paper with your address on it. You could have faked it and OVH would be non-the-wiser.

Andy.
26-08-2008, 12:26
Thanks for your advice and also thanks for any assistance but I'm afraid you don't understand.

I cannot provide these documents at the moment.
I CAN provide other forms of ID which are not accepted by OVH.
You were able to provide a copied passport or driving license. Lucky you. Lets hope the staff at OVH have been security vetted for your sake.

If I cannot provide this type of documentation I cannot have a server.
That's what I've been told so I'm just looking for official clarification.

It's becoming obvious that OVH don't care if new customers cannot provide the documents they request, I just wish I was warned of this beforehand. (ie during sign up)

Until the website T&C's are updated I now feel obliged to warn as many people as possible about this so they don't make the same mistake and waste time like I did.

Don't get me wrong, hats off to OVH for attempting to tackle issues with hackers but have you ever heard of overkill?
A recent utility bill with the same address as the card should be enough.

IainK
26-08-2008, 12:18
"Andy." i'm with "Andy" on this one (god confusing usernames no!?) you really should post as much info as you can in one thread and hope for the best not span it across multiple. I am far less likely to reply to something I have seen in many other threads.

I have posted maybe 100 problems here, at least 90 have been solved and at least 94 have been answered. There's always the odd question no one can help with on a message board or just doesn't get round to that's to be expected.

If you are really stumped give customersupport@ovh.co.uk an e-mail and provide at least the server in question aka nsXXXXX.ovh.net or ksXXXXX.kimsufi.com or the hosting account or the domain name + your nichandle. This forum is still primarily for customer -> customer support.

Andy
26-08-2008, 12:07
First.
You should get a real job you know. Then you can order people around and get paid for doing it.
I have a very secure job thanks.

Second.
I haven't posted my problem in EVERY thread, only relevant threads.
I am not spamming this forum.
I'm simply looking for answers.

I'll sit back for an hour or two to see if I get those answers.

Thanks for your pointless comment.
You have posted in every topic related to your problem. This is classed as spamming. You should post your issue once and wait for a reply. Spamming your problem in every topic will only make things harder. People won't reply because they see you as a spammer, any solutions will be spread over lots of topics making it harder to follow, and further more, nobody cares about you not being able to provide the documents asked for. Thats your issue. If you can't provide them you should look for somewhere who doesn't care about the security of its business. OVH have asked for these details from a lot of people, including recently myself. I provided them and my problem was solved within the hour.

Do yourself a favour, do as you have been asked and your problem will be solved. Further more I have taken the liberty to report your repeated posting to OVH in hope they will remove all but one of the topics. Perhaps you may actually get help more quickly this way.

Andy.
26-08-2008, 11:09
I think you've made your point. Stop posting your issue in every thread or I'll report you to OVH for spamming. One thread is enough to get you an answer. Posting in every topic just annoys people.
First.
You should get a real job you know. Then you can order people around and get paid for doing it.

Second.
I haven't posted my problem in EVERY thread, only relevant threads.
I am not spamming this forum.
I'm simply looking for answers.

I'll sit back for an hour or two to see if I get those answers.

Thanks for your pointless comment.

Andy
26-08-2008, 10:51
Lucky you!

My problem not solved.
I think you've made your point. Stop posting your issue in every thread or I'll report you to OVH for spamming. One thread is enough to get you an answer. Posting in every topic just annoys people.

Andy.
26-08-2008, 10:49
Lucky you!

My problem not solved.

slayer2005
22-08-2008, 01:36
Problem solved.
Thank you.