OVH Community, your new community space.

Billing FSCKup

glidewave
27-08-2013, 23:15
Like I told your colleague, Jen (re S0phie reply), the line of "taking advantage" is called use. If your Managing Director was worthy of the title, he would have planned for this and put limitations in the first place and would also be aware of customer use of the feature and advised customers of a system feature removal PRIOR to removing it.

Customers waiting weeks for servers and removing system features that have been used for a very long time without prior notification, very very well Directed and Managed.

RichardWnl
27-08-2013, 19:46
Quote Originally Posted by theatheist
I'm just hoping this is temporary and they will re-enable it, at least for pro servers.
With OVH you never know

theatheist
27-08-2013, 19:20
Quote Originally Posted by macole111
As far as we can tell is people were renewing servers for very shot periods of time, incurring large CC processing costs for OVH (relative to larger orders) eating into their profit margins. Although OVH has neither confirmed or denied this.

Personally I think that there should be a minimum price per order, say 20, so that they are charged so much and people can renew servers for shorter amount of time. Especially those with more expensive servers. But hey, OVH won't change their minds.

-macole111
Then if that is the case they should have limited the align to pro servers or to minimum of 20 or 2 weeks etc. There is plenty they could have done to compromise instead of just blanket limit.

I'm just hoping this is temporary and they will re-enable it, at least for pro servers.

macole111
27-08-2013, 19:03
As far as we can tell is people were renewing servers for very shot periods of time, incurring large CC processing costs for OVH (relative to larger orders) eating into their profit margins. Although OVH has neither confirmed or denied this.

Personally I think that there should be a minimum price per order, say 20, so that they are charged so much and people can renew servers for shorter amount of time. Especially those with more expensive servers. But hey, OVH won't change their minds.

-macole111

theatheist
27-08-2013, 18:46
Quote Originally Posted by S0phie
Hi,

We can only confirm that it is no longer possible to renew a service for less than 1 month. The "Align the expiry dates of your service" icon was removed last week by our Managing Director. Like my colleague Jenny explained by email, this is due to the fact that some customers were taking advantage of the system.

If some customers managed to get a renewal order for a few days last week from the French support, this was a mistake from us since we can no longer send a renewal order for x days.
Sorry but can you please clarify what you mean by "taking advantage"?

I honestly cannot understand what that could possibly mean, they was either paying for their sever or they wasn't so not sure what they could be taking advantage of?

Please can somebody from OVH clarify what this means?

RichardWnl
27-08-2013, 17:16
Hi,

We can only confirm that it is no longer possible to renew a service for less than 1 month. The "Align the expiry dates of your service" icon was removed last week by our Managing Director. Like my colleague Jenny explained by email, this is due to the fact that some customers were taking advantage of the system.

If some customers managed to get a renewal order for a few days last week from the French support, this was a mistake from us since we can no longer send a renewal order for x days.
My idea is as follows. Why not limit renewals < 1 month to payment via Loyalty Points only. And set the minimum amount to increase your balance for example to 50 GBP or whatever the amount is you're happy with. That way people can align (extend) their servers and it doesn't cost OVH extra transaction fees.

orion
27-08-2013, 16:51
Hi,

Why can`t ovh be more proactive in punishing the people that abuse the service for example ban their credit card numbers paypal ip address.

Again with the paypal withdrawal for KS purchases it just does not seem fair that things are being spoiled by a small percentage of abusers.

Let the abusers pay then take away their server in ref to TOS. That would soon stop them.

vladinc
27-08-2013, 15:43
this is due to the fact that some customers were taking advantage of the system
Dont tell me you are surprised ..
And how exactly they took advantage?

The "Align the expiry dates of your service" icon was removed last week by our Managing Director.
Your managing director is a bloody i_d_i_o_t

S0phie
27-08-2013, 13:07
Hi,

glidewave
27-08-2013, 12:58
Since no one at OVH bothers to address the customers concerns regarding this debacle and we only get one line "non" replies (we're sorry), we're going to proceed in the coming weeks to let boxes go and downgrade/consolidate what we have remaining into cheaper boxes and then look at what the logistics are necessary to move away from OVH.
REST?

glidewave
23-08-2013, 18:31
It doesn't matter what time of day or year, one line minimalistic "non"-support email replies are normal except for ovh.ca. I like to refer to "Support Team" as "Email repliers". There's very few that take the term support (via email) seriously and actually act as an advocate of the customer. Similar to removing a system feature without prior notification as they don't consider the customer prior to sweeping changes; and of course not unusual.

geoffreyc
23-08-2013, 11:20
Hi,

It is no longer possible to renew a service for less than 1 month. If some customers managed to get their services renewed for a few days yesterday by contacting our support in France, UK or anywhere else, therefore it was a mistake made by our staff.

Regards,
There you have it.

And I get that they are busy, but some like Marc take the time to write nice messages explain what's happening, why, etc. Some on the other end just bash out one liners, which really makes you feel unappreciated.

Tz-OVH
23-08-2013, 10:32
Quote Originally Posted by geoffreyc
Well at least your answer was slightly more consist than the one I got ...

You would think there is a reward for using as little words as possible at the London office ...
More likely they don't have time to write a lot, I've a bad feeling the magnificent 7 (j/k) of OVH UK are extremely busy.

geoffreyc
23-08-2013, 07:24
Well at least your answer was slightly more consist than the one I got ...
Hi,

I'm sorry but it's no longer possible to renew a service for less than 1 month.

Regards,

S.
You would think there is a reward for using as little words as possible at the London office ...

Thelen
23-08-2013, 07:03
Quote Originally Posted by Tz-OVH
That's how I always do it, this is just one of those few rare circumstances that things haven't gone to plan.

OVH/oles, bring back the alignment option, but make it 7 or 10 days minimum, not a month.
I'd suggest that being sensible.

I think the main problem is the amount of kimsufis etc being renewed for times that result in huge paypal fees etc, compared to normal. I'd suspect it might just be for this month or two with the new servers, they might return it again when things die down.

I got from support.ie :
Hi,

Unfortunately this cannot be changed as some customers were taking advantage of the system. From now on it will only be possible to align the services for month.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

J....
OVH.ie Support Team

szisti
22-08-2013, 20:34
If let's say you ordered a server on the 26th and your server is about to expire on the 23rd
your overlap would have been the time from the 26th till the 23rd right?

Why is that so different from you get your server on the 30th and your server expires on the 23rd

only difference is that you have had your old server a month longer

I'm waiting for a server since the 4th
My server was to expire on the 24th
I've renewed my old server on the 20th for 1 month, because I still don't know when I'll have my new server
the "loss" I might get is about 4 days from the original plan

I would suggest that you all could try to do a simple math
when did you order your server, when was your old expiring compared to that, when do you think you will get your server, compared to the renew date

Also I believe that almost everyone who at the moment is migrating servers (like myself) does this because they get a cheaper server with better specs, so if the offer would have come a month later, you would be in the exact same position

Yes they have our money for a month, but they did not "take it", we gave it to them, for a service which (eventually) we will get, and we will only pay for the service, and not for the wait

I believe that the reason for this step was that everyone started doing daily rolling renewals, which costs more money for them that what they gain on in (you know the bank takes a cut)
If you have a 45 server, that's about 1.5 a day from which they pay charges for the bank, pay for administration, and who knows what else, not much will be left afterwards, and that's an expensive server

Tz-OVH
22-08-2013, 20:33
Quote Originally Posted by JakeMS
I'm sorry, but what?

You are aware that most of the people who would need to realign there services are the ones who ordered almost a month ago, and didn't receive their server yet, so in order to do a proper migration (without having a LOT of downtime) would need to extend their server subscriptions?

For example, for a server migration I'd do the following:

1) Renew current servers
2) Order new ones
3) Perform migration
4) Cancel old ones

Now, if OVH fail to provide a product before the original servers need renewing again, how on earth can you honestly say it's the customers fault?
That's how I always do it, this is just one of those few rare circumstances that things haven't gone to plan.

OVH/oles, bring back the alignment option, but make it 7 or 10 days minimum, not a month.

JakeMS
22-08-2013, 20:02
Quote Originally Posted by RapidSeeds
Simple. If you don't want to pay, then cancel your NEW orders.

The problem is you are so greedy that you have bought something new in advance, and now you are complaining that you can't afford to pay for the product that you have now.

If this is true, better cancel your new orders fast.

Otherwise stop complaining. Don't buy in advance if you can't afford it.

Pretty simple.
I'm sorry, but what?

You are aware that most of the people who would need to realign there services are the ones who ordered almost a month ago, and didn't receive their server yet, so in order to do a proper migration (without having a LOT of downtime) would need to extend their server subscriptions?

For example, for a server migration I'd do the following:

1) Renew current servers
2) Order new ones
3) Perform migration
4) Cancel old ones

Now, if OVH fail to provide a product before the original servers need renewing again, how on earth can you honestly say it's the customers fault?

glidewave
22-08-2013, 16:45
Don't worry geoffreyc, it's both

geoffreyc
22-08-2013, 16:19
Quote Originally Posted by RapidSeeds

The problem is you are so greedy that you have bought something new in advance, and now you are complaining that you can't afford to pay for the product that you have now.

Pretty simple.
Are you trolling, or are you just being ignorant?
How do you suggest people migrate from one server to the other if they do not order in advance?

RapidSeeds
22-08-2013, 16:09

Pretty simple.

geoffreyc
22-08-2013, 11:55
A french friend phoned up the french customer support line and got a free week on his KS until his new server shows up ... I doubt we'll all be getting the same good will gesture, but one came hope ...

geoffreyc
22-08-2013, 11:29
Yea, no obivous way of doing it. hidden form input with the date can be changed to any date wanted, but anything below the threshold redirects you to the first step of the process.

geoffreyc
22-08-2013, 11:23
i'll give it a go, though if they have developers >= 5 years old of age, I'm guessing validation is server side :/

Thelen
22-08-2013, 11:18
Anyone up for fiddling with the javascript or something to see if you can force your way through the validation of the date and therefore renew for <30days?

Would be worth a couple hundred GBP for me..

ezdub
22-08-2013, 10:06
Quote Originally Posted by bushybaker
Just off the phone to ovh and they said to e-mail support and they will create an order for me so looks like this should be fine, I just hope they get the new order created today as I'm offline till it happens.
Glad you have it sorted hope we are not all going to have to do this until new servers are deployed.

bushybaker
22-08-2013, 10:00
Hi, the old are two KS servers the new is KS 16g (raid) and mSP.

Just off the phone to ovh and they said to e-mail support and they will create an order for me so looks like this should be fine, I just hope they get the new order created today as I'm offline till it happens.

geoffreyc
22-08-2013, 09:51
What server you got bushybaker?

bushybaker
22-08-2013, 09:35
I only had my servers delivered yesterday.

I've not had time to migrate the data over and my old servers have expired today, trying to align to give me time to migrate but now cant. Basically I have to now pay for the double the amount of servers that I need or can use this month when the only reason why I bought the new range was to save money.

It was suggested on this forum by OVH staff to use the align payment method in the first place.

Totally unacceptable OVH, absolute rip off.

macole111
22-08-2013, 09:34
Surely they can't do this when thousands of people are extending their servers whole they wait for new ones?!

I am really not happy about the extra services that we really use are being no so slowly ground down. OVH you really need to email people, Twitter or forum posts aren't enough, think professionally.

-macole111

theatheist
22-08-2013, 08:59
I simply cannot believe they have done this, Its like they are trying to destroy peoples confidence on purpose or something?

We had various servers extended for small lengths for various reason, This has now completely screwed us. Also especially cases where we need to extend for small period because of waiting to transfer to backlogged severs.

Please OVH reverse this decision or fix bug! Or at least make it a week not a month!

Tz-OVH
22-08-2013, 08:59
Bad timing to do this, if it has indeed been done. Prior warning, a clear announcement, emails, forum post, twitter, News section of site...come on OVH, use your options.

hooglecraft
22-08-2013, 08:52
This seems very unfair to me especially with all the negativity they have been getting, the inconvenience to the customers that have been more than patient with the back log of orders 1 of the things that kept people happy was the fact ovh clearly stated you can use the allign service feature and renew your server on a day to day basis if you like.

I wouldnt mind so much if they did it weekly but come on this seems very unfair imagine it like this you have a current kimsufi 8gb it is costing you nearly 35 a month You have just placed a new order on the 30th July for an msp for a xeon 32gb ram server costing you only 40 a month. You can now get a 16gb Kimsufi for 20 a month.

So your like ok I guess I will just renew my server on a weekly basis as my new 1 did have predicted delivery times of 72 hours here we are coming on to a month later no new server your current 1 is due to expire on monday.

So now I have to chance renewing that server at 40 for a month and to top it off after a month of waiting for new server maybe tuesday morning my upgraded server is ready. Bang I waste 40 OVH just made 40, for what essentially is poor service on their delivery times. I am not having a go about the delay in orders it seems that the only good thing out of this disaster was the ability to at least renew servers on a weekly basis so you didnt loose as much money. But now that has gone to me just seems harsh and unfair.

and yes the service is there still however it will not let you allign less than 1 month

geoffreyc
22-08-2013, 07:49
"supposedly" this was "announced" by @Oles aka Octave a short while ago. Probably another twitter "announcement" ...

cartwright118
22-08-2013, 07:47
I've used the align services function for my software licences that I rent off OVH. Very occasionally they mess up and I have to re-order them the date I reorder them doesn't necessarily match up with the server renew date. So I have to use the align services function so they are all the same time.

EDIT: I have just looked and my "Align the expiration dates of your services" is still there and usable...

ezdub
22-08-2013, 07:45
This must of changed over night because it was working yesterday and did mine for a extra week.

Thelen
22-08-2013, 07:17
mmmmm, maybe. all my renewals though are more than most 30 days single servers are though.

but yea i guess for kimsufis..

geoffreyc
22-08-2013, 07:14
It will have been because of all the recent delays, where tons of people must have renewed their servers for 1-5 days, and OVH noticed that they were getting raped in card/paypal fees...

Thelen
22-08-2013, 07:04
Quote Originally Posted by geoffreyc
what changed?
From being able to renew only 1 day if you wanted to, to having to renew until 1 month from the date you do the renewal.

ie if you had 3 servers, 1 with 15 days, 1 with 10, 1 with 25 days left, you'd have to renew them all until 30 day from now.

yea you see.. >_<

geoffreyc
22-08-2013, 06:43
Oh right so the option is completely gone then? Oh well that sucks ... I was waiting to extend my server for a few days on the 25th ...

EDIT

Oh I see, minimum of one month ...

Thelen
22-08-2013, 06:36
Should have named it something better....

But yea, this is somewhat annoying. Not annoying for boxes I know I want for a while, but annoying for boxes I'm trying to migrate off for various reasons.

This definitely needs to be fixed, or at least if not completely, allow customers to request the odd server here and there.

geoffreyc
22-08-2013, 06:35
what changed?

glidewave
22-08-2013, 06:04
I use the Align Expiration method of payment for boxes where the customer doesn't pay on time and I pay the server until paid since I know my customers, You have changed this system without any form of telling us; that is inept! You still get the same revenue but you do not advise us of a fundamental change ?! Not even give us a bit of a notice?

***hats.

J.